Notices

Kswap build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Kswap build thread

motor axles and mounts are scheduled for delivery by next friday! soon as I get it in the mail I'll have photos of everything uploaded and start the install immediately!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

nice work and parts collection so far.
that k tuned shifter looks pretty slick too.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wana sell me that stock carpet? lol
Old 11-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks EE2bitsk! and sorry slobalt but it was pretty much done so I threw it out. Honestly if I had thought someone would want it I would have just charged shipping but it was pretty messed up.

Does anyone know how I should wire up the dual radiator fans? I realize I need to go off the original wires but I dont know if they will support two fans. the stock fan was 120watts total and the two slim fans combined are a total of 160watts. Im not big on electrical work.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Run the stock wiring as a fan 'switch' with a relay (or find the stock relay and take the switch signal off of that) and run a separate wiring from the battery. That's really the safest way to run it. I'm sure there are better explanations, I'm just going off of how I run aftermarket foglights, HID retrofits, etc.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok Caoboy thank you for the breakdown. I just got on google and found this picture.

I put the black text in to clarify wether or not I have this correct. Also I was told a 20a inline fuse would be enough for 240watts so should I go lower than 20a? and with this relay is it safe to run both fans off the same accessory power wire?

Im assuming I need a 20a/30a 12v 4 prong relay?

Last edited by GoldieWang; 12-01-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All things considered, I could always hook up one to the original plug and one to the a/c plug. Then I could just hit the a/c button to turn on the second fan if I needed it hahaha
Old 12-01-2014, 04:12 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

How to convert watts to amps (A)

80w/12v=6 amps. x2 fans=12amps. 20amp would be fine. You'll find out if your fuse pops, but it probably won't.

I believe your wiring is correct..this is from S2kI but the concept is basically the same.

Aluminum Radiators and Low Profile Fans - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums - Page 3
(post #62)

4 or 5 prong is pretty standard.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so tomorrow I'm headed to advance auto for

(2) 7.5a 12v relays
(20ft) 12 gauge wire
(1) 15a inline fuse
and a big pack of slide on clips to hook the relays up with.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:17 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

I'd run each fans on a separate circuit, so that way if you have an issue with one fan, you'd still have another fan running. It's cheap insurance IMO. Run a smaller fuse than your relays, the fuse is your 'weaklink' in the circuit that will blow if you are drawing too much power for some reason. Do a little reading on what amperage you should build your harness for that way you don't underbuild it by accident. Wiring is something I tend to go overboard on when I work on projects where it is involved. I'd rather have it overbuilt vs burning down my house/Jeep/garage etc.

Last edited by Caoboy; 12-01-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they honestly didnt come with much, but they do say 12v 80w 6.7a on the motor. I could go with 15a relays and a 30a fuse?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:48 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Smaller fuse. Run like 20a relays and 15a fuses, 12g wiring is thick enough for the current. stock is like 14g or 18g.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haven't had time to update the last couple days and with good reason....look what I've got!

I received the motor at about 12pm 2 days ago and quickly got to work on throwing her in the engine bay.

First I installed the karcepts ac/ps delete which was an awesome kit!

before

after

Then I installed the hybrid racing fuel rail, the regulator was already in the bay

then I pulled the trans and install my competition stage 1.5 clutch and lightweight flywheel. that thing weighs 8.5 pounds.

Then alot of work later the car was lifted into the air and then sat perfectly down over the k20. Took about 15 mins total to get the first to mounts worked into place.

Then after mounting up the motor the headers, radiator, and intake were put into place.

And then BOOM most the vitals are in the engine bay!

That^^^ was all a couple days ago but yesterday was all the little jobs, and of course the initial start up which went great after I had a duh moment that caused me to originally call it quits for the day...(I prechecked everything before the attempted start and removed the plug wires to turn the motor and get everything lubed up but I simply forgot to wire in the immobilizer) I know it was a dumb mistake but at least it wasn't something like forgetting to put oil in the car or trans fluid before the first drive haha.

Ok time to rant. the entire build went well and the last couple days flew by but my hybrid racing CAI didnt fit with the windshield washer fluid tank in place which I need so I cut the CAI short. that wasnt mentioned on there page. the hybrid racing radiator hoses that were 80 bucks were ment for the ekk2 mounts but Im pretty sure that wasnt mentioned on there page. I know the heater hoses are for ekk2 so I just made my own and it worked perfect. and the karcepts throttle bracket for the ek throttle cable was useless (to short) so I ended up notching the stock bracket and modifying it to temporarily work. and Finally Hasports mounts bolts were too long in two spots (and yes I'm sure I didnt mix the bolts up. the two 50mm in length bolts on the trans I had to cut down about 5mm and the two 70mm on the rear mount had to be cut down about 10mm. All of them were bottoming out before they tightened down to the mounts. I realize this stuff happens when doing a swap, I just feel if I buy something specific to my motor and build then I should be able to use it. I only used one hybrid racing rad hose and had to cut it several times to make it fit. I doubt it will last and Ill probably replace it soon. other then that ALL my ktuned parts fit perfectly in the car and didnt have hardly any issue with the swap just time consuming. If I have time today before work I will install the axles and wire the rad fans up which is all I lack doing to be able to go on a test drive! Ill update as things progress!
Old 12-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok finished all the wiring and did a test start today. Started up just fine but then died about 10 seconds in and the fuel pump had quit. must of had a loose connection to the immobilizer delete but its taken care of. started the car back, fuel pressure is good, idle is good (right on 1k) but HMO didnt give me the o2 sensors with it so I gotta buy two tomorrow. id say the idle will be perfect with them. Although I stripped the charge wire (b10 blue and white wire) and then soldered in the connection, I'm still not showing that the battery is charging. I'll recheck the wires tomorrow as im at work now. and Ill check where the alternator goes into the fuse box. other then these small issues the temp gauge wasnt reading but right before I went to work I found it was barely pluged up and probably didnt get a connection.

Tomorrow Ill buy o2 sensors, install the axles, and shifter cables and go for a drive!
Old 12-14-2014, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got to drive the car today! Everything went well. Thing screams pretty good. I can tell its heavier in the front of the car but doesn't feel like its a bad thing. Just need an exhaust system rather than an open header!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you say rogue status? haha the cars complete. HMO is sending me o2 sensors and Im pulling an exhaust off my old hatchback

The Goldmember is back baby! and with new headlights.

Next thing to do is body work and paint soon as spring comes! anyone need certain pics or explanations of anything I've done just hit me up!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A HUGE SHOUT OUT TO HMOTORSONLINE!!!!!!! They were helpful with everything. Got me a really clean and low mile engine, and even though o2 sensors arent included I just talked to them and they are sending me a wideband primary sensor free of charge on priority mail shipping. Now to get my exhaust on and drive the damn thing!
Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

If you were to put your car at stock height, with those wheels, it'd be an ultimate sleeper!
Old 12-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I'd say I could fool some people! At least until this summer when I get the car looking a little better.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dope build man.!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good to see you finally got it all in! looking good too!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. Lots of hard work and time has went into this build!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:19 AM
Trial User

Nice build man, gotta start hiding and tucking some things away now lol
Old 12-25-2014, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Idk man I really like the tucked look but I also like the car as a whole with the guts showing so to speak. Its a daily driver so I wont be worried about cleaning to the point of a white glove test either.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Enjoyed the read. Looks great!

Welcome to the K family!

Quick Reply: Kswap build thread