Notices

K Swap EG no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K Swap EG no spark

This is the second K swap I've done. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly, but no spark. The three coil wires (black, black/white and signal wire) have power and ground, but they aren't getting a signal from the ECM. What tells the ECM when to send spark? Is it the crank sensor. This motor has only about 200 miles on it, but it's been it and out of two cars and spent a couple of years sitting. It was a theft recovery from a brand new RSX-S stolen from the dealer. I have substituted a know good ECM and yes, the Immobilizer and Multiplexer are disabled. I'm getting fuel, injector pulse, cranks fine, just no spark. I don't have any coolant in the motor yet, just want to hear it run for 5 seconds before I continue. The fan switch and thermostat wire are hooked up and the injector ground has an additional ground directly to the battery. I'm scratching my head, but I'm thinking the crank or cam sensors, just not sure where the ECM is getting it's spark information from. If so, how to test one of these sensors? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K Swap EG no spark

What ecu are you using? I would say it could be the injector ground, but as you stated you already did that and added an additional.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a 93 hatch with a 2006 K20Z1. The wire harness has been converted to a 2002-2004 and the transmission has been converted to a 2002-2004 so that the speedo picks up off the differential. The car utilizes K-pro and I have a ground to the injector rail from the battery, but not to the valve cover, I'll try that.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try the Valve cover and check the conversion harness on black/white wire for the coils. As for the speedo, I would use the hybrid converter or the Dakota Speedo healer fixes it as well. I am using that VSS with an AP2 Cluster just need to finish the wiring.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, I've got 12v and ground from the black and black/white wires, just trying to figure out why I'm not getting the signal from the ECM. As for the speedo, put in a LSD and went with the 02-04 clutch housing and speedo pick up. I had done this years ago before the conversion was available, but thanks.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This car has been a pain. At first there was no cranking, traced that down to the grommet that was missing in the clutch pedal. Then no fuel priming, found out there was no main relay at all. Now, no spark. at some point in trying to figure things out I had swapped the ignition harness thinking that might be the issue. I used an old one I had laying around. It turns out the "no spark" issue was due to this. The harness was bad. As I would crank all the dash lights would go dead, but the motor would turn over. In the run position everything came "live" again. The car was out of a tow yard, motor blown, mold on the carpet, etc., so it had been butchered for parts and sitting around forever. Yesterday I swapped all the cam and crank sensors and still nothing, then plugged the original ignition harness back in and she lit off. I'm hoping all the gremlins are out of the car at this point. Thanks to all who viewed or commented.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Trial User

hey guys i got a bit of a same problem with a swap i am doing with a buddy. we put in a 03 acura rxs type s k20a2 in to a 04 honda civic dx. For the swap we bought a rolled rsx type s we got the motor to run in the rsx before doing swap. Now the motor, engine harness, and prb ecu from the rxs are in the civic and all wired up (except for the a/f to the c101) but wont start the engine cranks over and thus about it. At one point when u turn the key to ign you could hear the fuel pump, now all dead. I looked over the wiring and the harness about 10 times (still a bit new to rewiring ecu but i can find my way around wires and schematics with no problem) all seems right, but still no spark or fuel injector pulse. First i thought it was the immobilizer but looking over the schematics looks like the ecu cuts the fuel pump relay not spark or injectors. Second thought we missed a ground or a connector somewhere, so checked all grounds and all connectors found out that we forgot to plug in the crank sensor after fixing that and making ground to tranny and intake manifold we got the fuel pump to turn on when turning key to ign but still no spark of injector pulse. my buddy did plug the c101 in without the rewire he got to existed lol he dint no he needed to rewire it seance its a direct fit lol, wondering if we could of fried something my only idea at this point otherwise stumped now. Any idea where to look or try next? anything will be of help. Great thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:44 AM
Trial User

Hey guys i have a question if anyone one could help that would be great. I have a 1999 honda civic hatchback i just finishing putting my k20z3 engine/tranny in the car. Im running a k20a2 wireing harness with a ktuned conversion harness. just bought a brand new kpro ecu and i have ground wires from tranny to frame, timing case to frame, valve cover to frame, block to frame and wiring harness to vavle cover. i have crank and fuel just no spark. i have 12v single wire, 5v power wire and ground at the coil clip. if anyone has any suggestion that would be great as im trying to get the car done for this summer
Thanks Bryden