Notices

K-Series Water lines for turbo cooling

Old 10-16-2017, 06:43 AM
CHB
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K-Series Water lines for turbo cooling

Hi guys,
How do you guys run water cooling lines from engine to turbo?
Can I just T off the coolant hose from cylinder head the heater core, then another T from the heater core outlet before it joint back to the front of the engine?
This photo should explain it a lot clearer what I wanted to do.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: K-Series Water lines for turbo cooling

I wouldn't cut into the heater hoses. I would choose the two 5/16" T/B deicing hoses that go to and from the T/B. These are the smaller hoses in the front lower left hand corner of your pic above. I would go from the engine to the T/B, out of the T/B to the turbo, and then out of the turbo to the steel bypass hose.

The routing in your pic really only works (flows) well when the HEAT is on.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:09 PM
CHB
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I wouldn't cut into the heater hoses. I would choose the two 5/16" T/B deicing hoses that go to and from the T/B. These are the smaller hoses in the front lower left hand corner of your pic above. I would go from the engine to the T/B, out of the T/B to the turbo, and then out of the turbo to the steel bypass hose.

The routing in your pic really only works (flows) well when the HEAT is on.
The plan is Tee off before the heater valve, so theoretically the water should still flow from the Head and return to the front of the engine, wouldn't it?

The plan is minimising the need for tube/rubber hose so it don't look messy in an already very messy engine bay.

thanks for the tips.

Last edited by CHB; 10-18-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I illustrated the best route to you... it provides a smoother flow of fluid and the fluid is cooler. You have asked about the only other alternative... so if you are good with the second best choice, then have at it. If it is about a cleaner engine bay... I think you will find that my suggestion would be a bit more tidy if you are using a turbo that mounts over the transmission (sidewinder style).
Old 10-18-2017, 11:20 PM
CHB
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I illustrated the best route to you... it provides a smoother flow of fluid and the fluid is cooler. You have asked about the only other alternative... so if you are good with the second best choice, then have at it. If it is about a cleaner engine bay... I think you will find that my suggestion would be a bit more tidy if you are using a turbo that mounts over the transmission (sidewinder style).
Okay thanks for your tip.
What last question, in which direction does the water flow? Red or Blue arrow?

Cheers
Old 10-19-2017, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Remove the "red arrow" hose at the steel pipe (opposite end from the throttle body), and connect the removed end to the turbo cartridge inlet. Next, connect a new hose from the cartridge outlet back to the steel pipe's open fitting. Done.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:39 PM
GDD Lonely Krew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or if you dont live in a place where it gets icey, just pull those lines from the throttle body and route both of those hoses to and from the turbo. You dont need hot coolant going through the throttle body unless it gets really cold where you are. May decrease AITs a bit as well..

JR is right also, you wouldnt want the coolant that has already pulled all of the heat out of your engine to then go into the turbo and try to cool things down.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by the_unknown
JR is right also, you wouldnt want the coolant that has already pulled all of the heat out of your engine to then go into the turbo and try to cool things down.
Kinda doesn't matter if the coolant is cooler or hotter, because the coolant is going to get hotter than anything from the engine ( since it siphons hear from the 600*F turbine housing once the engine shuts down. This is the real reason why ball-bearing turbos need water.. ( check the FAQs for the white paper)
Old 10-21-2017, 05:23 AM
CHB
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by the_unknown
Or if you dont live in a place where it gets icey, just pull those lines from the throttle body and route both of those hoses to and from the turbo. You dont need hot coolant going through the throttle body unless it gets really cold where you are. May decrease AITs a bit as well..

I'm in Australia so we don't have snow here.
Thanks for the tips!