Notices

Si into RR

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Si into RR

From what I've read, the Mugen RR gets its power from a modded K20 acting as if it were a 2.2L. I'm a beginner when it comes to internals. Can someone explain to me what I'd have to do to my 2008 Si engine to produce the 240+ hp that the RR makes?

If the answer to this question is hard to tell, I'll ask another. I'd like a 230-250whp all motor engine. What do I do?

Last edited by invsta; 11-05-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Touching My Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Si into RR

I've seen 230 being made at Do*It Dyno with cams (not sure which), intake, header, and a 3" exhaust with a good tune.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your better of just swapping in a 06-08 tsx longblock and switch the vtc gear to a type s one. with i/h/e it will make more then 230hp and will have more tq then a 2.0l made into a 2.2l
Old 11-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With all due respect to Swap projects...its more work than I am interested in. I really like the K20, and I REALLY like how Honda has modified it for increased hp and torque. I'm intrigued by internals and how they work, now that I've done a few days of research. It opens up so many doors for power gains. Bolt-ons aren't cutting it.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so, just swapping a engine is more work than removing your stock motor, taking it completely apart, sending out the block to get bored out, fitting it with new pistons, rings, bearings, having the entire assembly balanced and then putting it back in your car?

ok, have fun spending 3x more money to get the same hp result.

Last edited by Notorious92rhdEG; 11-07-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

90.7mm crank, same way TODA gets 2.2 out of there K20 stroker.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .Manny.
I've seen 230 being made at Do*It Dyno with cams (not sure which), intake, header, and a 3" exhaust with a good tune.
this is true. there are many ppl hittin 230-250 with just bolt ons and a nice set of cams (k2's, blueprint, etc.) go on k20a.org and look at the official dyno registry. you'll see that bolt-ons DO cut it.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by invsta
With all due respect to Swap projects...its more work than I am interested in. I really like the K20, and I REALLY like how Honda has modified it for increased hp and torque. I'm intrigued by internals and how they work, now that I've done a few days of research. It opens up so many doors for power gains. Bolt-ons aren't cutting it.
Noobie Newberton says hello!

If you dont have an intake, cams, a quality header, a 3" exhaust and tuned Kpro right now....then you are just another kid with a pipe dream.

Bolt-on's not cutting it with the hard parking judges eh?
Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

someone just link him to a damn J-swap thread. thatll get rid of him. i think thats whats cool right now.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SergEK
Noobie Newberton says hello!

If you dont have an intake, cams, a quality header, a 3" exhaust and tuned Kpro right now....then you are just another kid with a pipe dream.

Bolt-on's not cutting it with the hard parking judges eh?
i/e, and I'm keeping my CAT and header stock for California. I'll re-tune my ECU when my car needs it. And when I say "bolt-ons," I mean turbos and superchargers. They arent cutting it for my purposes.

If I wanted to throw just any part into my car, I would; I want to know how HONDA/MUGEN did it to the RR, JACKASS.

Last edited by invsta; 11-09-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Notorious92rhdEG
so, just swapping a engine is more work than removing your stock motor, taking it completely apart, sending out the block to get bored out, fitting it with new pistons, rings, bearings, having the entire assembly balanced and then putting it back in your car?

ok, have fun spending 3x more money to get the same hp result.
I have a shop. It isn't more work for me. And it is definitely not more expensive, from how I've priced out the internal options.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol. Buying a stoker kit isnt more expensive then buying a cheap *** k24a longblock. Cmon man.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by invsta
I have a shop. It isn't more work for me. And it is definitely not more expensive, from how I've priced out the internal options.
ok... it's not more expensive? so lets see how deep your discounts go. 06-08 tsx longblock can be had for 1900-2400 and if you look around at junkyard you may pick one up cheaper. you can sell your stock 08 si motor for about 1700 or so. seen 1 sell about a week ago for 2100. i personally traded a stock 03 type s and 300 bucks for a 06 tsx motor.

so you can "fully" build a k20 to a 2.2l, make 240+hp and spend less than 300-400 bucks?

and the real question, are you building this b/c you want to/it's the correct motor for your application? or your building it just to say you have a motor like the RR's?

either one, have fun spending way more money then is necessary and dont cry when you get beat by another si with a k24 in it.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok... it's not more expensive? so lets see how deep your discounts go. 06-08 tsx longblock can be had for 1900-2400 and if you look around at junkyard you may pick one up cheaper. you can sell your stock 08 si motor for about 1700 or so. seen 1 sell about a week ago for 2100. i personally traded a stock 03 type s and 300 bucks for a 06 tsx motor.

so you can "fully" build a k20 to a 2.2l, make 240+hp and spend less than 300-400 bucks?

and the real question, are you building this b/c you want to/it's the correct motor for your application? or your building it just to say you have a motor like the RR's?

either one, have fun spending way more money then is necessary and dont cry when you get beat by another si with a k24 in it.
You cry a lot, dont you?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, your a funny guy.

why are you being a f'ing douchbag? just trying to help you out and point you in the correct direction to get you the performance your looking for and not spend alot more money then you have to.

now you can go f*ck yourself
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, your a funny guy.

why are you being a f'ing douchbag? just trying to help you out and point you in the correct direction to get you the performance your looking for and not spend alot more money then you have to.

now you can go f*ck yourself
If I wanted engine swapping advice, I know where to look in the forum. This is a very specific question in this thread, and you seem to have a hard time understanding it.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want your k20 to make 230-240 hp, that can be had with a good header, 3in exhaust, intake and a good set of cams. but a 230 hp k20 will be slower than a 230 hp k24 b/c of the torque. and 230+ can be had with a STOCK 06-08 tsx motor with a good header, 3in exhaust, rbc mani and intake.

no matter what you do, if you modify the k20 to make 230-240 hp, you will spend more money and your car will be slower than just swapping the longblocks.

i've offered all the advise i can. you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. so im done with you.

good day sir.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want your k20 to make 230-240 hp, that can be had with a good header, 3in exhaust, intake and a good set of cams. but a 230 hp k20 will be slower than a 230 hp k24 b/c of the torque. and 230+ can be had with a STOCK 06-08 tsx motor with a good header, 3in exhaust, rbc mani and intake.

no matter what you do, if you modify the k20 to make 230-240 hp, you will spend more money and your car will be slower than just swapping the longblocks.

i've offered all the advise i can. you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. so im done with you.

good day sir.
Thank you.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Sexy Cheese Cake

As mentioned the RR gets it displacement by a stroker kit. Then i am sure it has some cams, better intake, better exhaust and what not and ecu tuned.

You are better off, getting what has been mentioned here. Cams, intake, if you insist on keeping your stock exhaust, that i guess. Then Kpro. But an exhaust provides huge gains on the K. Maybe see if you cant get some spy shots on the RR so you can get one that looks like that to please yourself.

I dont know why you want it to be like the RR when plenty of people get your power gains from stock bottom ends. But if that what makes you happy then source out a stroker kit while you are at it.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look dude...these guys are right...and most of them aren't trying to be a.ssholes; just trying to point out the reality of what you want to accomplish here. If you think swapping an engine is too much work, then doing a mechanical tune to raise another 30HP on an n/a engine is way more work than you're bargaining for. You do basically have to take the engine and transmission completely apart and redo everything to achieve what Honda has done. You need balanced high compression pistons, a completely redone intake, port and polished head, aggressive cam profiles etc. And this not even mentioning the hours of ECU tuning that needs to be done.

You'll also need a bigger exhaust,and a better clutch, and the gear ratio is probably much shorter that anyone would really want on a daily driven street car, especially in the States. Also, if you looked at the Type R forum, you'll know that there is much more involved with a Type R than just the engine. The body is reinforced and the suspension and brakes are also different.

So if you are just looking for more straight line speed, do a swap or turbo it...it'd be much cheaper and less involved than trying to do what Mugen did to the Mugen RR, unless you like spot welding and have very deep pockets for a mechanical tune.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyways...I don't this guy will listen. He hears only what he wants to hear.

the only other alternative is to source a Type R K20 from Japan and meca tune it, but have fun with trying to run it on 91 octane gas...
Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MiraiZ
Anyways...I don't this guy will listen. He hears only what he wants to hear.

the only other alternative is to source a Type R K20 from Japan and meca tune it, but have fun with trying to run it on 91 octane gas...
What is wrong with you? You wake an old thread up just to tell me a bunch of crap that people have already said?

I wanted to know exactly what the RR motor is all about. Nobody that has read this thread seems to exactly know, so I listened to what they had to say about K20 moddding.

I DONT CARE ABOUT SWAPS BRAH!

Repost so you can't miss my question again...

From what I've read, the Mugen RR gets its power from a modded K20 acting as if it were a 2.2L. I'm a beginner when it comes to internals. Can someone explain to me what I'd have to do to my 2008 Si engine to produce the 240+ hp that the RR makes?

If the answer to this question is hard to tell, I'll ask another. I'd like a 230-250whp ALL MOTOR ENGINE. What do I do?

Last edited by invsta; 11-24-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

what can you do for 250whp?

build a K24 frank with 12.5:1 pistons, RBC, hondata and big tube header. thats it. theyll make 250 on stock cams.

it is beyond me why people build anything else. 250whp, bothing but pistons and bolt ons, and it weighs what a GSR weighs, yet people are still building lsvtecs.

the K has killed everything else. it just takes some time for all the bodies to hit the floor, as someone else said on another forum.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by What.
what can you do for 250whp?

build a K24 frank with 12.5:1 pistons, RBC, hondata and big tube header. thats it. theyll make 250 on stock cams.

it is beyond me why people build anything else. 250whp, bothing but pistons and bolt ons, and it weighs what a GSR weighs, yet people are still building lsvtecs.

the K has killed everything else. it just takes some time for all the bodies to hit the floor, as someone else said on another forum.
See, I like you. You know how to read and answer questions the right way. I very much like the K20 and think about its possibilities everyday. I'm not interested in a swap. K20 is a good little motor. The motor that could...

Quick Reply: Si into RR