Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

Still in disbelief I bought a Honda.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still in disbelief I bought a Honda.

Okay. This is my first post. Just a little back ground. I am a domestic guy from birth. I prefer GM among all. Have a 1987 Chevrolet Camaro that only has some body panels that are stock. Everything else has been changed. Also have a 1999 Pontiac Montana minivan with a 3800 supercharged engine swap done to it. Never been a fan of Hondas. I have had my import faze awhile ago. 1987 Mitsubishi Starion, 1985 Toyota MR2 just to name a few. But started to see the bright side of a Honda when I started school and am driving 30 miles one way. I acquired a 1996 Honda Civic LX from my Grandmother that purchased it brand new in 96. After she passed away my mother got it and she gave it to me when I started school since the Camaro got 10mpg. It is a great low mileage one owner car that gets 30mpg with me and my roommate in it(not small guys). But I wanted something a little bit sportier and still have good gas mileage. So I just recently bought a 1994 Honda Civic Del Sol VETC from a friend. He got it in on a trade and I got it for cheap. Needs a lot of work making it stock again. It has a different engine and trans. Plus all the A/C, power steering, cruise control and ABS has been gutted. But I kinda like the car. The one thing I kind of like about Hondas beside the great gas mileage is that they handle really well stock. Granted the only one I have been driving is the LX. I think the Del Sol should be even more fun. Now I am not going to abandon the domestic ship all together. I am still a GM fanboy for the rest of my life. But I am starting to see the reasoning behind people that are serious about these cars. It is just hard to get past that Fast & Furious crowd that is mostly out there. Put an Ebay intake and exhaust and they think they are the fastest thing on the streets and run 10's at the track. I don't want a fast car per say, I just want a fun handling car that get's good mpg's and that is reliable. And I think this Del Sol is just the thing.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Still in disbelief I bought a Honda.

I love del sols ever since i bought a del sol si with a z6 and turbocharged it, (ended up blowing it up lol proved for myself that stock z6 rod bolts do in fact let go after 200whp)

but I will say as far as handling goes they are pretty much the WORST honda, because of the fact that its based on the civic chassis but with a targa top, coupled with the fact the back window is a huge lateral flexing weak point because it rolls down so there is no side to side bracing in the middle of the chassis. it has massive body flex. my buddy autox'd one and the entire chassis was flexing so much around the corners that the back window literally shattered in the frame.

however I had alot of plans for mine before i blew it up. i wanted to do a complete custom tube frame chassis and rwd s2k swap. (that may appeal to your GM fanboy side haha.) thats alot of custom work though lol.

good luck with the sol
Old 04-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

never understood why domestic guys think it's some taboo to like a car? if you like it, great.

i'd suggest some suspension upgrades. maybe rebush the whole suspension and you'll notice a huge difference. welcome
Old 04-06-2013, 03:48 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have nearly the same experience as you have stated. I was a died in the wool GM fan for all the obvious resons; great looking cars, modular design (most motors fit most tranies, fit most chassis) and affordable performance. Honda is another rare gem of a car company with the same caiber of equipment.
I also own a 94 Delsol, very fun car! Gets massive looks from everyone (install a full view rear mirror to know what I am talking about) it is also 4 inches off the ground with a full body kit. Enjoy your new project.
PS I still think older chvey rocks (pre 2000); but these Hondas are SOO dammed fun to drive and great mileage too.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to the site. Glad to have another del sol owner join the site.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so this supercharged montana....got any videos? lol

i've ridden in a couple gm cars, they're like night and day compared to hondas, but i do love the sound ohv engines make
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cjmcleod
I love del sols ever since i bought a del sol si with a z6 and turbocharged it, (ended up blowing it up lol proved for myself that stock z6 rod bolts do in fact let go after 200whp)

but I will say as far as handling goes they are pretty much the WORST honda, because of the fact that its based on the civic chassis but with a targa top, coupled with the fact the back window is a huge lateral flexing weak point because it rolls down so there is no side to side bracing in the middle of the chassis. it has massive body flex. my buddy autox'd one and the entire chassis was flexing so much around the corners that the back window literally shattered in the frame.

however I had alot of plans for mine before i blew it up. i wanted to do a complete custom tube frame chassis and rwd s2k swap. (that may appeal to your GM fanboy side haha.) thats alot of custom work though lol.

good luck with the sol
Thank you Captain Buzzkill. lol. Still a fun car regardless. Going to put it pretty much back to stock and enjoy it. Don't need a track car, just a fun daily. Handles great considering I am use to throwing a car with an extra 1200 pounds into a corner and hoping it will stick.

Originally Posted by OGxruiner
never understood why domestic guys think it's some taboo to like a car? if you like it, great.

i'd suggest some suspension upgrades. maybe rebush the whole suspension and you'll notice a huge difference. welcome
Not going to get too much into this. I don't want to start anything. But it's not taboo so much for the brand/car. It's the image that 99% of the Honda drivers give off. They watched Fast and the Furious one to many times. And because there was a make believe 10 second Honda in that Hollywood movie. They now think there K&N equipped car can do the same. I have the same attitude towards BMW M3's. The drivers are usually douche bags. There is nothing wrong with Honda's or BMW's, it's just the 99% of the people that is associated with them. And there is probably a lot of people that feel the same way towards the domestics. I like all cars regardless of brands.

And thanks for the suspension tip. That is one thing I would like to do if I do anything too this car.

Originally Posted by Tyler Dirden
I have nearly the same experience as you have stated. I was a died in the wool GM fan for all the obvious resons; great looking cars, modular design (most motors fit most tranies, fit most chassis) and affordable performance. Honda is another rare gem of a car company with the same caiber of equipment.
I also own a 94 Delsol, very fun car! Gets massive looks from everyone (install a full view rear mirror to know what I am talking about) it is also 4 inches off the ground with a full body kit. Enjoy your new project.
PS I still think older chvey rocks (pre 2000); but these Hondas are SOO dammed fun to drive and great mileage too.
I am always going to be a GM fanboy. That is what I always had and love. But I just needed something good on gas. Got this for super cheap and it's a really fun car. Like gokart fun. So I am looking forward to driving it and having fun while not have to pay at the pump.

Originally Posted by Nbboy7
Welcome to the site. Glad to have another del sol owner join the site.
Thanks! Glad to be here. And hope to learn alot about this little car that you don't see around much anymore.

Originally Posted by grayeconobox
so this supercharged montana....got any videos? lol

i've ridden in a couple gm cars, they're like night and day compared to hondas, but i do love the sound ohv engines make
Got a few videos on Youtube of it. Same screen name. Or just type in supercharged minivan.

It is a totally different driving experience then what I am use too. But I like it. I am going to miss my V8 sound. The exhaust I have on my Camaro took me forever to get the way I wanted it. But every time I went under an overpass and got into the throttle I would jizz in my pants. I just wish I could find an exhaust that would do the same for this car. Probably not going to happen though.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome to the site! Funny how most honda owners tend like GM too. I was never into GM till my dad got a '97 cheyene with the vortec engine. If you've done engine swaps before and know what you're doing, I suggest you swap a f22 (f22a4 or f22a6) engine in for that torqueless d series. The f22 engines are some of the most solid and underrated honda engines out there.