Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

Hello from Southern Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Southern Idaho

Hi!

So, I'm "new" to Hondas. I've owned 2 personally. I say personally, because my wife owns her Honda. I'm more into old cars/trucks than I am newer ones. I wouldn't say I'm this kind of guy or that kind of guy when it comes to brand loyalty, but I've had 70's Ford trucks since I was 15 and first started driving (I'm 35 now). I currently have a '77 Ford F-100 shortbox truck as my daily for now.

I got my first Honda about 5 years ago. I honestly wasn't looking for one and didn't want the car after I test drove it. At that point in my life I only owned one vehicle and it was the first one I got at 15, my '75 F-150. I commuted about 90 miles round trip to work and had been using my wife's '03 Neon (my gf at the time) to commute to work since it got better mpg than my truck did with a 427hp/510tq 466ci engine in it. Well needless to say, my wife got sick of me driving it and leaving her stuck at home even though I worked nights. Her dad's friend was selling a little car for cheap and she wanted me to look at it. I reluctantly took a look at it at like 10pm one night with a flashlight, because that's when the dude selling it had time. I didn't even know it was a Honda when I first drove it. The front seats were each held in with one long *** bolt that wasn't "bolted" in. They functioned more like quick release pins. You could get out of the car, bend over and slide the bolt out of the seat track, and then pull the whole seat out. I drove it down a country road at like 50 mph and was like, god this is a **** box. I got back and the guys like what do you think? I did the whole... umm... I dunno. Then my wife (gf remember) says to just shut up and buy it. It was $600. I bought it. When I met the guy to buy it the next day I saw it in the daylight and was like oh, it's a little Honda hatchback, neat. It's an '88 Civic Hatch. Right after he signs it over and I pay him, he says "Oh by the way, when it gets down to 1/4 on the fuel gauge it'll start bucking like its out of gas, just thought you should know." Really babe, this is the guy you want me to buy a car from, the one missing half his teeth and sells me a death trap? I'm glad he's your family's friend and not mine. Anyway, its been quite the journey with that little hatch, so many problems. It's currently out of commission once again, but hopefully I can bring it back to life and get to DD it once more.

I've also owned a '94 Accord EX Coupe that I sold about a year ago and my wife has an '03 Accord EX-L V6 sedan. I'm not into the tuner scene, but I totally get it. I can respect people's desire to have something unique and different and to make it their own even if its not my own personal taste, even when I see "cambered out" cars which I think are stupid, but I get it, I do. I'd honestly say that the car culture I'm usually placed into is probably the worst, which is the truck community. Its more of a pissing contest than a bonding experience where you share ideas and whatnot. I keep to myself and my truck is for me, not to be pleasing to others, but if someone asks a question about something regarding my truck I'll answer them. I get a guy here at work that gives me crap for owning a Ford and he's like every stereotype I can think of for a truck owner that its sad, so I really let it slide. lol

I hope to somehow contribute to this forum, I've definitely received help for both of the Hondas I've owned being a lurker on this board.