Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

Alcohol does actually lead to bad decisions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcohol does actually lead to bad decisions!

Hi There,

I wanted to introduce myself real quick and I thought this post would be a great way to do it. I've made a few posts before in the technical sections but I thought a formal introduction was in order.

Let me start this off with my primary vehicle is a second generation Toyota Tacoma that is heavily modified for off road use. That being said, as a daily driver it's not bad, but wearing out 33" BFG's driving on concrete to and from the the ski hills or Rocky Mountain National Park to climb with 15mpg is well, annoying at a minimum. The truck gets used for what it was built for but I decided I needed a daily driver, so I bought a 2001 Honda Civic EX Coupe.....for $800....let me reiterate this before you reply with "why would you lift that car when you could lift...this or this or this or..."....this project was not ever originally planned, it was purely inspired from boredom and hilarity.

Tacoma

As my friend and I were looking at the Honda sitting in my garage while heavily consuming some Hamms beer, we got to joking about how this car needs some "RoadKill"-esk character. I limped it home on a bum clutch and upon further investigation, I found out that the 236xxx mile motor had about 90psi on each cylinder....but again, this all happened while drinking a copious amount of Hamms beer (never great for decision making skills). SOOOO this basically turned into a three month project that spiraled completely out of control... I could write a list of all the things that I did but it's much easier to show you all a picture of the project board.

Project Board:

All in all...first road trip to Roy New Mexico to climb was a great success where Subaru Forester ground clearance is a near necessity.
End Product:

Hope you all enjoy and feel free to ask any questions about any of the modifications, where to purchase parts or how the modification was achieved,
Thanks for viewing,
Cole

Project Slideshow:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskyZAfse
Old 01-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Re: Alcohol does actually lead to bad decisions!

That thing looks like something out of Mad Max! Looks awesome though! How does it handle the wilderness terrain?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
That thing looks like something out of Mad Max! Looks awesome though! How does it handle the wilderness terrain?
It did really well actually. It has a tiny bit more ground clearance than the Subaru Forester because it doesn't have a center drive train and I took it over a few roads that I thought would be pushing it but it had better performance than expected. I also used camber bolts that are normally used for lowering a vehicle to help bring it back to "in spec" for alignment so it happens to drive pretty well on the road in general.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Cool project, welcome from another Tacoma owner. Are you on any of those forums? I'm on Tacomaworld.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by danteisme
Cool project, welcome from another Tacoma owner. Are you on any of those forums? I'm on Tacomaworld.
Yeah I'm on TacomWorld as well - Same user name as here. I actually need to do a quick writeup. I just replaced all three u-joints and the carrier bearing on my truck and found a sweet little trick for the bearing with a 2-jaw puller from autozone...made removing and replacing the bearing a 15 minute job...also got a pretty good method down for the u-joints. Here's my truck build:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...#post-12492186