Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y8 head on my Y7

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y8 head on my Y7

is it worth it to swap a Y8 head on to me Y7 just for the vtec? because i wanted to do that and then go turbo. but im not sure if that even worth the money.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y8 head on my Y7 (black7hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black7hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it worth it to swap a Y8 head on to me Y7 just for the vtec? because i wanted to do that and then go turbo. but im not sure if that even worth the money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've it on my car, i'd say depended on how much u get the y8 head for and are you doing it urself.
keep in mind you'll need to change other things at the same time
for example
ecu (to run the vtec)
conversion harness (if you gonna use p28)
timing belt, water pump (i believe it's difference from y7, i changed them anyways)
new head stud (recommended)
head gastek (it's better to go w/ new since you took the head apart)

that's the list came in mind (at leas that's what i've add to the y7)

from my experience, the lower end rev up faster and higher end has vtec (you'll feel that at first, then you'll just get used to it). i assume you're still running the stock y7 tranny right? if so, i'd spend the money on the tranny first since the gear ratio are much closer (y i know?? coz i've it, lol, and it's in AFTER the y8 head swap so i know).
you won't really benefit all the power from the y8 head swap w/out the y8/z6 tranny since you're still limited w/ the y7 tranny. but of coz you'll feel some difference but not as much if you've gotten a y8 tranny.

i guess i can get into high 15 or even mid 15 right now w/ my engine setup (all stock btw) never really tried it be4 but i guess high 15 is VERY possible
Old 11-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, tranny first, head later if at all. If you're going turbo, I'd skip the head swap completely it will make it easier to tune. Here's the setup I'd recommend:

Y8 tranny
Y8 intake manifold (with injectors)
chipped P06 ecu with conversion harness

You will actually be pretty close to as fast as an EX even without the head. The manifold will free up some ponies and the trans makes a big difference in how the 1-2 gears pull, plus the Y7 develops torque quicker than the Y8.

Once you turbo it the deficiencies of non-VTEC will be erased.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: (klungemonger)

thanks guys. i wasnt sure what else i would need to replace. ive been told it not worht the hassle just for the vtec. so thats what ill do.