Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

y is h22 so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y is h22 so cheap?

i have a 98 civic coupe and i am looking at swapping w/ an h22 or something like a gsr. i am in love w/ the h22 but i know the cheap price must be too good to be true. y is the h22 so much cheaper than other jdm engines yet it has more hp and tq? also, what is the best jdm engine for a price around $3000? thanks.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (sportsfreak5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sportsfreak5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 98 civic coupe and i am looking at swapping w/ an h22 or something like a gsr. i am in love w/ the h22 but i know the cheap price must be too good to be true. y is the h22 so much cheaper than other jdm engines yet it has more hp and tq? also, what is the best jdm engine for a price around $3000? thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

because h22a's are harder to swap in. you'll be spending more than you can imagine. i think the b18c (gsr) is perfect for the price. i personally have a b16 and it isn't much more than my old d16z6...normal cruising.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (handa)

damn ~$4000 is not more than you can imagine.

On a side note, other jdm engines are more expensive because of supply and demand. Handa doesnt know what hes talking about , i think hes jelous that he doesnt have a h22. Its not to good to be true. where do u live? ill prove to you how quick it is.

Think about it, engine suppliers dont base their prices on how hard it is to swap it, thats ******* rediculous.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (delLudeVTEC)

so y is it cheaper then? there must be some reason that a 200hp engine can be found for as little as $2400.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

supply and demand.

There is a huge demand for the B18 engines, and not the H22 motors. The H22 engines also don't take to modifications as well, and there aren't as many parts available for them. Its just not popular, so thats why its cheaper.

The factory H22 sleeves aren't as good either, and can't handle much boost before you need sleeves.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (delLudeVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delLudeVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn ~$4000 is not more than you can imagine.

On a side note, other jdm engines are more expensive because of supply and demand. Handa doesnt know what hes talking about , i think hes jelous that he doesnt have a h22. Its not to good to be true. where do u live? ill prove to you how quick it is.

Think about it, engine suppliers dont base their prices on how hard it is to swap it, thats ******* rediculous.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Idiot. Of course engine suppliers are going to base their prices off of how hard it is to swap in. If people were going to buy a motor swap and could spend $3500 on a GSR motor and bolt it in, or spend $3500 on an H22 and an extra $1000 on parts, what do you think they are going to do? When you sell something you take into account EVERYTHING about the product. Look at the market in which these motors are being dealt to. It's mainly 18-24 year olds with minumum car knowledge. Therefore, direct bolt in swaps will demand more of a premium than something that you have to do custom work to. Do you think B18's and B16's sell for such a high price because of scarcity? Hardly. They sell because they are in demand. Why are they in demand? Because they are easy to swap in to a Civic. Why are H22's not in demand? Because after buying the motor you must also buy mounts and custom axles amongst other things. When you start telling this to your average 19yo kid with a civic they cant put 2 and 2 together to come up with everything they need for the swap. So they say **** it and buy the B18 even tho the initial cost is more. Why? Because people are lazy and dont want any complications in their life.

Damn dude, take a ****** business class before you start talking about business.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:16 PM

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (JapTendencies)

So does everyone agree that the h22 is as good (performance-wise) as any other engine for the price(with installation)? If i am willing to go through the hastle of installing it, will there still be any downsides of the h22? And someone mentioned the h22 not being good w/ mods and upgrades. What mods will i be missing out on if i buy this engine? How will it handle if i turbo'd it? Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

h22 dont have much aftermarket supply compare to b series. and like they mention about the "weight" thing.

H22 &lt;-- same weight as b seires with turbo.

IMO, for the power id go h22.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The performance of the h22 is good.
Alot of people argue over the h22 or the type R motor being better, so they are at least comparable.

The things I personally dont like about the h22 are:
-after you buy the swap, you still need to spend money on a mount kit, axles, etc.
-installation is a pain(compared to a b series swap)
-I personally HATE the feel of the cable shifters.
-It sits in there pretty tight. You will have to pull the motor to change the timing belt.

I did an h22 swap for a friend. He only had about $3200 into it, including everything, so thats definately not bad at all. The whole weight thing didnt seem to be an issue. His hatch had stock suspension on it too.

Just do lots of searching before you make a decision.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">supply and demand.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is the reason the H22 motor is cheaper than most B series.

The demand is lower based on the reason most of these people provided like it being slightly hard to fit, and not having as big of an aftermarket support.

But the actual reason the motor is cheaper is supply and demand. The other reasons listed are just reason why the demand is lower.

Yes the H22 makes more power stock
Yes their a more B-series parts and they are interchangable

It all comes down to taste and application, both are awesome motors.
Choose wisely
Old 08-23-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Idiot. Of course engine suppliers are going to base their prices off of how hard it is to swap in. If people were going to buy a motor swap and could spend $3500 on a GSR motor and bolt it in, or spend $3500 on an H22 and an extra $1000 on parts, what do you think they are going to do? When you sell something you take into account EVERYTHING about the product. Look at the market in which these motors are being dealt to. It's mainly 18-24 year olds with minumum car knowledge. Therefore, direct bolt in swaps will demand more of a premium than something that you have to do custom work to. Do you think B18's and B16's sell for such a high price because of scarcity? Hardly. They sell because they are in demand. Why are they in demand? Because they are easy to swap in to a Civic. Why are H22's not in demand? Because after buying the motor you must also buy mounts and custom axles amongst other things. When you start telling this to your average 19yo kid with a civic they cant put 2 and 2 together to come up with everything they need for the swap. So they say **** it and buy the B18 even tho the initial cost is more. Why? Because people are lazy and dont want any complications in their life.

Damn dude, take a ****** business class before you start talking about business.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some of what you said does make sense but why is the K20 swap like $5000 and it's harder to do than an H22? Explain that one Mr. Smarty Pants!!!!!!
And the $5000 is just the engine, transmission, ecu and harness b/c you can't even use the axles!!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 06:03 PM

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (DSeriesBKilla)

No one ever really answered how the h22 works w/ and excepts mods and turbos. someone also stated how they hate cable shifters. does anyone else share that same hate?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (DSeriesBKilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSeriesBKilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Some of what you said does make sense but why is the K20 swap like $5000 and it's harder to do than an H22? Explain that one Mr. Smarty Pants!!!!!!
And the $5000 is just the engine, transmission, ecu and harness b/c you can't even use the axles!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Again. Idiot. Obviously people that are looking for Kseries motors have money. Therefore, they have the extra bank to throw around on miscellaneous parts. Also, H series swaps have been around for how long? early 90's? So that's 10 years in the making. What does that equate to? A lot of ****** engines. When did the new K20's come out? Oh yeah, just a couple years ago. Let's break this down a little easier for you:
H22- HIGH supply, LOW demand
K20- LOW supply, HIGH demand

Please, when grown folks are talking, dont butt in. You'll just sound stupid.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sportsfreak5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No one ever really answered how the h22 works w/ and excepts mods and turbos. someone also stated how they hate cable shifters. does anyone else share that same hate?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sleeves in the H22 are apparently pretty weak. If you are looking to run more than around 7-8 psi with a turbo kit(not sure on exact number, so dont flame me on that) you will probably want to resleeve it. Other than that they respond to mods like every other honda motor. Very slowly. And yes, I hate cable trannys.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Again. Idiot. Obviously people that are looking for Kseries motors have money. Therefore, they have the extra bank to throw around on miscellaneous parts. Also, H series swaps have been around for how long? early 90's? So that's 10 years in the making. What does that equate to? A lot of ****** engines. When did the new K20's come out? Oh yeah, just a couple years ago. Let's break this down a little easier for you:
H22- HIGH supply, LOW demand
K20- LOW supply, HIGH demand

Please, when grown folks are talking, dont butt in. You'll just sound stupid.

Sleeves in the H22 are apparently pretty weak. If you are looking to run more than around 7-8 psi with a turbo kit(not sure on exact number, so dont flame me on that) you will probably want to resleeve it. Other than that they respond to mods like every other honda motor. Very slowly. And yes, I hate cable trannys.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you must have paid attention in economics lol
Old 08-23-2004, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-It sits in there pretty tight. You will have to pull the motor to change the timing belt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, You can and done it in the car.

there is a lot of theresay about H22a swaps. Do not believe the hype and what people say about it. You can make is bang for buck.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (Chris M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you must have paid attention in economics lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

You see, I was gonna go into this longer explanation about the reason of the price difference between the motors, the I realized that even the simple concept that i typed out might be too much for them to comprehend.

Guess I showed that guy who's Mr. Smarty Pants. Bitches.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wth,

of course a k20 is more costly besides the fact it's only in production
a couple of years.

It takes to mods well, it's 200hp out of the box or more for
jdm. It's new.

new=exciting and something "rare" to be different.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you just cant beat the torque of a h22
Old 08-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (n20need4vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n20need4vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you just cant beat the torque of a h22 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah you can, I've done it many times in my b18, lol.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JapTendencies &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$3500 on an H22 and an extra $1000 on parts, what do you think they are going to do?</TD></TR></TABLE> he said it... it'll cost about the same to do a h22 as a GSR swap... The swap alone is rather cheap.. but you need the extra parts.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"Yeah you can, I've done it many times in my b18, lol."

smart ***
Old 08-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (adictionbass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adictionbass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Yeah you can, I've done it many times in my b18, lol."

smart ***</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. This guy has contributed very little useful information to the thread. It's hard to find any at all, in between the name calling, insults, trash-talking, and profanity.

But back on topic, the h series swap can be done for between 2500 and 3000 if you know where to shop.

Parts needed in addition to the swap itself:

Shifter cables and shifters= junkyard

90-93 accord midshaft = cheap and EASY to find at junkyard

90-93 integra left/right axles = AutoZone or Advance (w/lifetime warranty). Turn in the lude axles that came with the swap to avoid core charges. They never even check. Was told this by an AZ store manager, who happens to be an old friend from waayy back in High School)

injector Resistor box. = junkyard or online classified. If you're lucky, might come with the swap's harness.

H22 custom EK Mounts = online classifieds or eBay

Well worth it, and all for the cost of a GSR swap.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (nuc79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nuc79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But back on topic, the h series swap can be done for between 2500 and 3000 if you know where to shop.

Parts needed in addition to the swap itself:

Shifter cables and shifters= junkyard

90-93 accord midshaft = cheap and EASY to find at junkyard

90-93 integra left/right axles = AutoZone or Advance (w/lifetime warranty). Turn in the lude axles that came with the swap to avoid core charges. They never even check. Was told this by an AZ store manager, who happens to be an old friend from waayy back in High School)

injector Resistor box. = junkyard or online classified. If you're lucky, might come with the swap's harness.

H22 custom EK Mounts = online classifieds or eBay

Well worth it, and all for the cost of a GSR swap.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
very well put. Basically after its all said and done you would have spent the same $$ for an H22 swap as if it were the GSR.

P.S. you would be faster than any STOCK b series.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y is h22 so cheap? (fastwanabe)

hehehe.. i love these threads...

blah blah blah....

its like this.

H22&gt;b18
Old 08-23-2004, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sportsfreak5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so y is it cheaper then? there must be some reason that a 200hp engine can be found for as little as $2400.</TD></TR></TABLE>

By the way, it's only $2100 in stock here: http://www.sevenstarjdmmotors.com .

Call and ask for David. If you drive down to Orlando to pick it up, I'll help you install it. The place is off down off I-4 on Colonial Dr., near Universal.

I'm only offering to do this as proof that the H22A swap can be DONE RIGHT for under $3k, and give you a mid-13sec car.

Quick Reply: y is h22 so cheap?