Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTK: JDM Type R tranny parts into USDM B18C1

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTK: JDM Type R tranny parts into USDM B18C1

Well, simple enuff... I am running a USDM GSR transmission and it is in need of service.

I happened to get my hands on a JDM ITR transmission from a 97 (I believe). The transmission experienced a grenaded crown gear on the diff and I got the rest of it for cheap... but I need to know a few things I am unsure about...

1) Will my GSR bell housing fit the type R internals ? (Or do I have to use the ITR housing ?)

2) If I decide to simply swap certain gears and the type R diff into my tranny, will the crown gear from my diff work/bolt up to the type R unit ?

3) Are the JDM R axle splines the same size as my USDM GSR axles ?

4) Which gears should I change out into my GSR tranny ? There are alot of different sites that spew BS about which ratios are better and which are identical.

5) Since my GSR final drive is supposed to be 4.4, and so is the pre 98 type R... will it bolt up to the type R diff and give me the same ratios as the stock R ?

6) I MAY have access to a used 5.0 final drive crown gear... should I opt to buy it ?

BTW... this car is being shifted to primarly track use (drag and autocross for now) and will not be driven on the street often.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Re: WTK: JDM Type R tranny parts into USDM B18C1 (X2BOARD)

1 They are the same but read nb 4

2-again same pt nb read nb 5

3- all b serie inner are the same only the jdm 98+ITR have a bigger outter 36 mm vs 32 mm for the others !

4- use the itr tranny if the syncro and all other parts are OK !

5- use bearing, final drive and differantial from your gsr tranny ! Both gsr and 97 itr share the same nb for those part ! It will save you the assle of pulling the bearings out !

6- Since you are using the car primatly for the track yes it will be a plus IF YOU HAVE PROPRER TRACTION !
Old 08-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTK: JDM Type R tranny parts into USDM B18C1 (teg xsi)

Thanks for the input !

One question...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg xsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">5- use bearing, final drive and differantial from your gsr tranny ! Both gsr and 97 itr share the same nb for those part ! It will save you the hassle of pulling the bearings out !</TD></TR></TABLE>

Use the gsr diff ? Did u mean the ITR diff as it's the LSD unit ? Or is the LSD easily removed ?

Bear with me... I've never had the time or the cojones to work on a transmission....