Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wtf is up with the muffler tickets

Old 12-10-2002, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtf is up with the muffler tickets

does anyone know how i can measure my muffler dBs, so i can tell this cop that gave me a ticket to **** off!!

i even have my silencer in and the bitch still tried to tell me that it's illegal to modify my muffler...i looked it up and it is illegal only if the noise exceeds 78dB below 30 MPH or 82dB after 30 MPH

but the statue that he gave me the ticket for says nothing of the sort, what *** clowns!!
Old 12-10-2002, 09:48 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: wtf is up with the muffler tickets (adawg1414)

You can buy decibel meters from Radio Shack.

Remember cops can pretty much do anything they want. As long as they give you a ticket, their job is done. They don't care if you can fight it or not because that's between you and the judge. So what I'm saying is try to work it out with a judge. Arguing with a cop is useless.

I think the sound has to be measured a certain distance away. I believe NJ is 92dB at WOT or something like that.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:44 PM
New User

does anyone know how i can measure my muffler dBs, so i can tell this cop that gave me a ticket to **** off!!

i even have my silencer in and the bitch still tried to tell me that it's illegal to modify my muffler...i looked it up and it is illegal only if the noise exceeds 78dB below 30 MPH or 82dB after 30 MPH

but the statue that he gave me the ticket for says nothing of the sort, what *** clowns!!
yea mann....i jus got a freakin ticket too for my muffler....COP told me its illegal to modify a muffler....gotta go to court on JAN 6...damn anyone know the limit for DBs in NYC??...thanks
Old 12-13-2002, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wtf is up with the muffler tickets (shamoo)

Yeah ****** cops are always ******* with me on how loud my muffler is. The judge told me it was at the officers discrecion if the muffler was too loud. (Alabama redneck cops for you)

[Modified by zlambe, 1:31 AM 12/14/2002]
Old 12-13-2002, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wtf is up with the muffler tickets (zlambe)

i got a ticket like a few months back for my muffler. my exhaust isnt loud at all and i still got slapped with a ticket. i had to a pay $120 fine.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:42 PM

Default Re: wtf is up with the muffler tickets (AznInvasion)

muffler tickets are not fixable in cali anymore. now its a fine. no more 15 dollar days. boooo!

also, the cops ive talked to said you CANNOT modify ANY muffler. Period. End of story. No matter what. but domestics can. kinda lame i think because what if you got in an accident and your OEM muffler got messed up and had to have another one from a muffler shop put on? you would be modifying your muffler. so i guess all muffler shops in cali are illegal since they replace muffler and piping. oh well...
Old 12-13-2002, 08:12 PM

Default Re: wtf is up with the muffler tickets (deviant1)

I've gotten 2 in NY so far...****** cops are such dick heads. I have stock cat on my car with just a catback and i never drive above 3 grand, how loud can it be. All they do is see that i have a honda and not a stock muffler and they give me a ticket for "muffler modified to amplify sound". My friends have V8s without cats and they NEVER get tickets, i hate this ****. I'm fighting it tho...gonna get a ticket that says i changed it and hope the judge throws it out
Old 12-14-2002, 06:24 AM
New User

Default Re: wtf is up with the muffler tickets (X DaNish X)

I've gotten 2 in NY so far...****** cops are such dick heads. I have stock cat on my car with just a catback and i never drive above 3 grand, how loud can it be. All they do is see that i have a honda and not a stock muffler and they give me a ticket for "muffler modified to amplify sound". My friends have V8s without cats and they NEVER get tickets, i hate this ****. I'm fighting it tho...gonna get a ticket that says i changed it and hope the judge throws it out
yea thas the same thing the cop told me "muffler modified to amplify sound".....u know the legal limit in ny?...ima get a invoice also to say i changed it and hope as well the judge throws it out
Old 12-14-2002, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wtf is up with the muffler tickets (Acuracy)

the db meter is the only solid way to go, you have to find out the distances and what not but "too loud" is subjective and a cops word will always be above yours in a court.

I currently have no muffler what so ever, it sounds fine and not very loud and I haven't gotten into any trouble yet, but then again 1/4 cars downtown are the same way and the cops here recognize theres more to do than give out crappy exhaust tickets
Old 12-14-2002, 12:45 PM

Everyone I've taked to..cop, sheriff, muffler shop, told me you can do anything you want from the cat back, not to exceed 90DB. I think thermal is right at 85. I looked into this before i went with a thermal.

I would fight that ticket..

Old 12-14-2002, 08:46 PM

Default Re: wtf is up with the muffler tickets (Monty)

when i talked with a CHP guy, i even asked him if we could buy a sound level meter and he said no. he said they did not have any way of measuring the sound accurately at their office as well as any other police station. which leads me to say, if you cant accurately measure it, then HOW THE HELL are you going to give out muffler tickets on the street when you cant ACCurately hear it in your cop car or thru your motorcylce helmet? but basically. the dood said you cant measure it and the court wouldnt trust an experiment you did with equipment you bought.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:58 AM

well, from what i understand the Db can't be above 90 and the modified law only counts if your Db is above that...but the actual statue that i was written up for says that my muffler is not in working order...WRONG!! so i'm off to court with my tanabe paperwork that says the muffler is 50 state legal and i'm gonna get the Db measured cause i know with the silencer in it doesn't go above 90...*******!!
Old 12-27-2002, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, sucks *** man. i've been cited numerous times for 'loud and unusual noise'.

needless to say, i'm getting rid of the fart can and getting an es oval with 2.5" exhaust and painting the damn muffler flat black so the bastard cops can't get on my *** anymore.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when i talked with a CHP guy, i even asked him if we could buy a sound level meter and he said no. he said they did not have any way of measuring the sound accurately at their office as well as any other police station. which leads me to say, if you cant accurately measure it, then HOW THE HELL are you going to give out muffler tickets on the street when you cant ACCurately hear it in your cop car or thru your motorcylce helmet? but basically. the dood said you cant measure it and the court wouldnt trust an experiment you did with equipment you bought.
that's your defense, if they can't and didn't measure it they can't prove it's too loud
I havent heard of anyone ever actualy paying that ticket

and I don't know when it became a non fix-it ticket, but even if it is you can fight and they can never win, unless they can measure it