Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring up a jdm itr in a 96 ex (IAT/IAC help!) ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring up a jdm itr in a 96 ex (IAT/IAC help!) ASAP!

it's a '97 jdm itr with a P73 ecu.

i know the P73 doesn't look for the vtec pressure switch so do i just leave it hanging or can i cut it off and tape the wires off?

do i do the same for the knock sensor?

do jdm ecu's look for an IAT sensor? i know on some jdm intakes you need to cut a hole for it to work on a usdm car. so is it not there at all or does it plug in somewhere different?

i remember something about the IAC sensor that needs to be changed but i forgot what

anything i'm missing guys?
Old 07-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: wiring up a jdm itr in a 96 ex (IAT/IAC help!) ASAP! (irunfromcops)

ok. 96 EX coupe w/ 97 ITR engine swap.

If you use the ITR ecu in your 96 EX, you shouldn't have to worry about the VTPS...the ecu won't look for it, so vtec will work as long as you use the JDM ITR (P73) ecu that came with your swap.

The knocks sensor wiring should be integrated in your EX harness by default (all 96-01 civics have a knock sensor), so its plug n' play in that aspect.

Yes, all ecu's look for an IAT sensor.
So, with your setup, you can either (1) leave your IAT as is, making a hole on the ITR intake arm (if your engine came with one) and reusing your existing civic IAT sensor on that arm (leaving the ITR's IAT dormant/unplugged) or (2) extend your existing IAT wires so that you can use IAT sensor that's on the ITR intake manifold.

You don't need to do anything abou the IACV. You own an EX which uses a 2-wire IACV, which is the same type used on the ITR engine. Now if you owned a non-EX model, then you'd have to do the IACV wiring fix because all 96-01 non-EX or Si coupe models use a 3-wire IACV. confused yet ? hah.. so don't worry about the IACV since you own an EX coupe.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring up a jdm itr in a 96 ex (Katman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, all ecu's look for an IAT sensor.
So, with your setup, you can either (1) leave your IAT as is, making a hole on the ITR intake arm (if your engine came with one) and reusing your existing civic IAT sensor on that arm (leaving the ITR's IAT dormant/unplugged) or (2) extend your existing IAT wires so that you can use IAT sensor that's on the ITR intake manifold.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

is that the plug that is on the same part of the harness as the injector plugs? the one on my ex harness is a different plug than on the itr manifold. and on the D series it plugged into some type of solenoid not directly into the top of the manifold...
Old 07-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring up a jdm itr in a 96 ex (irunfromcops)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irunfromcops &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is that the plug that is on the same part of the harness as the injector plugs?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I remember.....yes....its real close to the injectors.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the one on my ex harness is a different plug than on the itr manifold. and on the D series it plugged into some type of solenoid not directly into the top of the manifold...</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh that's right...
ok then, what you want to do is cut the IAT plug from your ITR harness and splice it onto your EX harness.

The sensor above the fuel rail....i'm not sure what that does exaclty, but it's not used on the ITR engine nor will the ecu look for that sensor.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

From what I remember.....yes....its real close to the injectors.

oh that's right...
ok then, what you want to do is cut the IAT plug from your ITR harness and splice it onto your EX harness.

The sensor above the fuel rail....i'm not sure what that does exaclty, but it's not used on the ITR engine nor will the ecu look for that sensor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so the one that is on the injector harness i need to swap plugs with the one off the R harness. i'm still a little confused about the IAT though. i'll go take pics of the sensors i'm talking about if that will help?

thanks for everyones help so far, in PMs and this thread
Old 07-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irunfromcops &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so the one that is on the injector harness i need to swap plugs with the one off the R harness. i'm still a little confused about the IAT though. i'll go take pics of the sensors i'm talking about if that will help?

thanks for everyones help so far, in PMs and this thread </TD></TR></TABLE>

heh, yeah please take a pic, that would help.

Right now, if your motor is still in your car untouched, the IAT sensor is going to your intake arm.

the sensor thats on top/near the fuel rail is something else, which I'm not sure is exactly, but I think its emissions related. You don't need to use it on the ITR engine.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is the plug on top of the manifold:

on the wiring diagram i have it says that on the D motor it plugs intob the "EVAP purge control solenoid valve" but the R has no EVAP so what the hell is the plug on the manifold for???
Old 07-15-2003, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no one knows what to do with this?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irunfromcops &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no one knows what to do with this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

like I said..just leave it as-is, unplugged. The ITR ecu doesn't look for the EVAP anyways. Everything will work fine if you leave that damn plug alone ..lol