Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring - Is this an OBD2 V1 or V2 loom??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring - Is this an OBD2 V1 or V2 loom??

http://www.screamingskies.com/other/ecu/loom/

Pics of a '99 SOHC Vtec loom in the above folder.
Its OBD2, but can someone confirm which version?

I believe it to be OBD2 Version 1(i.e. OBD2a).
But I need to know so I can buy a conversion harness.

I dont have the ECU from it.

Im using it to mate an '95 JDM B18c1 with OBD1 P72 to my '96 Civic 1.4(yes, thats 1396cc-European only model, Im in Ireland., but its a proven 118.4Bhp with just custom Intake/custom exhaust!). My car is neither OBD1 or OBD2... possibly some kind of OBD3... but anyhow, hence why im using the above loom.

Also, can someone point me in the direction of places selling conversion harnesses?

Ive tried http://www.lightningmotorsports.com who do SVE harnesses but they dont ship outside the US - im in Ireland.

Ive found a guy in the UK but he wants about €150($180) and im not sure on the quality of the conversion harness he does or who makes it.

Need this asap as Im hoping to start swap in bout 2weeks.
I have everything bar Driveshafts, fuel pump(this is sourced), and the wiring - i.e. this!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wiring - Is this an OBD2 V1 or V2 loom?? (Blade_Irl)

obd2b
Old 08-31-2004, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring - Is this an OBD2 V1 or V2 loom?? (hondaZvic)

You sure?

Others reckon its OBD2 V1...

I know being a 99 it should be but, a lot of 99 cars here and in UK are often late reg '98s ....
Old 09-01-2004, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as the engine harness is from a 5 speed (manual trans car), that is an obd2a engine harness..

Contact Todd at Full-Race (www.full-race.com 602-437-2101) they ship to Ireland and have those available..

-joe
Old 09-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring - Is this an OBD2 V1 or V2 loom?? (locash)

Thanks, Can I ask how your sure its OBD2a?
Did the OBD2b not come on manual cars?

Full-Race are prepared to ship here, i was in touch with them regarding Driveshafts already.Will get in touch now about this, thanks.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blade_Irl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You sure?</TD></TR></TABLE>
if u are gonna question my answer, then why do u bother even asking at all?

WHY WOULD THERE BE DIFFERENT OBD VERSIONS ON THE SAME YEAR CARS IN DIFFERENT COUNTRIES??????

i have a 99 ex 5spd too. its an obd2b. or version 2 or whatever u wanna call it.
i can tell by looking at the ecu clips

but if u dont wanna take my word for it, y dont u call the company u are going to buy a conversion harness from. and tell them exactly what car u have, (and where its from) that way they can worry about which one to send u.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, No offence intended by questioning your answer - but as you see above, when I have different people giving me different answers...And when im ordering this from so far away(Ireland) I need to be sure I order the right one.

And my point is simply that this although a '99 reg car, could very well be a late registered/sold '98 model - this happens over here and in the UK(where this loom came from) - there are '96 EG Civics and '01 EK Civics going round, not many, but there are some.

A friend has recently bought a JDM '96 Integra SiR-G, which should be OBD2, so Im gona check the plugs against his and his ECU and then compare his ECU pic to a pic i have that shows OBD2a and OBD2b ECUs. Just fingers X'd his is OBD2 as it should be.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cool.

umm also what u could do is go by what ecu u have.

if ur ecu is a P2P(99 ex, d16y8 mt), it is obd2b. (in US) if ur ecu is not the p2p. then im not sure.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My ECU doesnt match any others, neither OBD2 nor OBD1 or even older ones!
It seems to be unique to the 1.4 Civic.

Check it out:

http://www.screamingskies.com/other/ecu/

Nobody seems to know what the hell it is!

Looks like a 2 plug OBD1 though...
Old 09-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like whoa! That's a weird version of OBD1 I've never seen before

These ARE definitely OBD1 style plugs:
http://www.screamingskies.com/...4.JPG
http://www.screamingskies.com/...6.JPG

but whatever that ecu is, its only a 2 plug ecu, and we don't have that style of ecu (at all) in the US nor do we have a 1.4L civic. Good luck finding a jumper harness for that!

Curious, whats the part number of this ecu of yours (listed on the sticker on ecu casing) ?

And what does the 1.4L engine look like? can you snap a pic of it for us?

As far as your OBD2 plugs go, the plugs in this image (especially the smallest sized grey plug) are a dead ringer for OBD2A:

http://www.screamingskies.com/...6.JPG
http://www.screamingskies.com/...7.JPG

What is your ultimate goal for all this? to use the D16Y8 intake manifold on your 1.4L engine?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring - Is this an OBD2 V1 or V2 loom?? (Katman)

1.4L!!?!?!??!?! wtf???!!!

ok.. i give up now. katman is here to save the day!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol...i am?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring - Is this an OBD2 V1 or V2 loom?? (Katman)

Kat,

He's putting a 95 B18C1 into his EK, using an OBD2a SOHC Vtec engine harness. He wants to use the OBD1 P72 that he got with the motor.

Blade,

You'll want an OBD2A to OBD1 adapter. You possibly have to add a wire or 2 to ensure full functionality of the IABs and knock sensor (don't know if the SOHC Vtecs had them there).
Old 09-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The images that you posted of the harness with the two grey and one blue OBD2 plugs are definately OBD2a.

As far as your ecu plugs go, is your car an automatic? That looks like the TCM setup. I also have the OBD2a-1 conversion harness in stock and ship via FedEx International.

http://www.JKobdconversionharness.com

Jason
Old 10-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring - Is this an OBD2 V1 or V2 loom?? (Blown90hatcH)

Sorry, been busy.

Right, for those wondering, the D14a4 looks identical to a D16y7.
Pic here:
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~bl...2.jpg
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~bl...3.jpg
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~bl...4.jpg
Tis currently 110.5bhp or 118.4bhp depending on which Rolling Road you believe - but the first only tested it in 3rd gear and the second tested it in 4th gear so 2nd result could be more accurate. Not bad for 1396cc with just intake/exhaust system. And obviously, standard of 95octane petrol over here. Comp ratio is 9.1:1 on them too.

And its NOT an slushomatic!

http://www.screamingskies.com/...3.jpg
http://www.screamingskies.com/...9.jpg
http://www.screamingskies.com/...9.jpg

I am putting an OBD1 '95 JDM B18c1 with EK9 gearbox in.
The SOHC intake manifold you see there was part of a previous plan - to make the first 1.4 Vtec - D16y8 Head, intake manifold, fuel rail, distributor etc but didnt get around to doing that last year and then found out I could insure a 1.8L, and a transplant! So I ditched the old plan.

As for the loom:

1. Ive sourced a FULL EG B16a2 OBD1 loom from England which is on its way to me.
2. I still have the D16y8 underdash loom pictured above.

But, after a little more thought and discussion with people, im gona do one of two things:

A: Rip out my entire underdash loom and replace with the B16a2 and & add the necessary wire for the butterfly valve. Though this will encounter the problem of EG plugs not matching EK plugs on the other end. But hopefully having the D16y8 underdash loom will help that situation.

B: leave the existing loom in, figure out what wires are missing, then label all wires on the ECU plugs and cut off the plugs and replace with the B16a2 plugs using the PIN-out diagram from the P72.

However, despite going through the official Shop manual in Honda Ireland(a friend has a relation who works there) last weekend I have not found the PIN-outs diagram for my car. Or something which tells me which wires are in which sockets on the engine harness plugs-though I think that part is obtainable from the shop manuals when I get a chance to check again.

I have a PDF of the shop manual for the USDM Integra GSR.

OBD1 P72 PIN-outs are readily available on the net, though thats assuming the USDM matches the JDM PIN-Outs.

There is a guy who runs a performance shop over here who mentioned to me a while back that he had the PIN out diagrams for both my car and the b18c1 though so I will be contacting him soon.

And now the bad news... as I have not managed to complete this before returning to college 3weeks ago... It looks like i am going to have to leave it until June next year! Its the final year of my degree and time is tight enough already with lectures/study/assignments and work too. Cant afford to be without my car and even if I found a beater it would be a bad idea to do something that could be pretty stressful particularly given that the wiring could be messy and while Ive done a fair bit of work on my car, nothing as in-depth/big as a swap. That and I cant afford any more debt-would need near another €1000 to pay for: Alarm removal&re-installation, Extra Insurance premium, Extra road tax.

But I have Koni True coilovers coming in 2-3weeks to replace the Koni Yellows/Eibachs, and have SRR rear LCAs and a DC2 rear anti-roll bar ready to fit when they come so that should be some extra fun to keep me occupied in the meantime!

Modified by Blade_Irl at 2:36 PM 10/22/2004

Modified by Blade_Irl at 2:43 PM 10/22/2004
Old 10-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like that oem moonroof!
Old 10-23-2004, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (K@man)

Yup! We got some nice options in our hatches over here that you guys didnt.

My car was a full options model - Electric Mirrors,Windows and Sun Roof, Tach, Driver and Passenger airbags.

The dealer had 4 '96 hatches when I bought mine in July '01 n i almost went with a wine coloured base model one, so glad I didnt though, love having the sunroof, that and DAP colour rules!
Old 10-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blade_Irl)

lucky you guys...

The US is wack in many aspects.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely the simplest solution for you would be to retain all your existing wiring looms (both underdash and engine bay), and simply add the necessary connections for the additional sensors/functions of the B18C1.

I swaped an LS/Vtec into my 98 EK (D16Y7) some time ago, and the wiring necessary for the conversion was quite simple. All that was required was connections for:

Vtec solenoid (1 wire).
Vtec pressure switch (2 wires, though that may not be required if you are using a JDM ECU).
Knock sensor (I did not require it, as my ECU did not use one, but yours might)
Intake Air Bypass (IAB, you will require it).
Change to IACV plug (the D16Y7 has a 3 position plug, the B18C1 has 2).
Extension of a couple of the existing plugs/wiring (TPS, MAP, etc..., very minor stuff).

The 2 plug OBD1 style ECU appearing device in your photos is likely the ABS control module. Have a look behind the kick panel on the driver's side (your driver's side, our passenger's side) to see if there's another ECU with plugs similar to the ones in the photos of the wiring loom (2 grey plugs and 1 blue).

Once all this is completed, then a simple OBD2 to OBD1 adapter harness will allow the plug and play operation of your JDM P72 ECU.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The 2 plug OBD1 style ECU appearing device in your photos is likely the ABS control module. Have a look behind the kick panel on the driver's side (your driver's side, our passenger's side) to see if there's another ECU with plugs similar to the ones in the photos of the wiring loom (2 grey plugs and 1 blue).</TD></TR></TABLE>My car does not have ABS ...
Old 10-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blade_Irl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car does not have ABS ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh!, OK!.

Well forget that.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is that a D14A4 with P3Y ECU? If so you're in the same mess as I'll be. I think rewiring the plugs will be the best solution... Anyone know how these are connected? Can you just pull the wires out and connect them to a new plug, or are they soldered etc, and you'll have to cut the harness?

Oh, and as for pinout diagrams, you might want to get yourself a copy of autodata. Has all the information you could possibly need.

Modified by eriknn at 4:48 AM 1/20/2005