Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a JDM P72 ecu run an H22A dangerously lean ??

Old 07-29-2002, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will a JDM P72 ecu run an H22A dangerously lean ??

Here's the deal, I had gotten a USDM P72 that i tried to see how it would work by itself and yes the thing sucked, lag all over the place and i could notice at times on my a/f that it would be closer to the lean side but regardless i used it for 2 min. it was going to be used with hondata so that was the plan, but even still it ran like crap even after much tuning. my friend has a P72 which is JDM so we tried switching and now my hondata works his H22a like a champ!! and his ecu runs my car really well and strong and i keep noticing the a/f and it doesnt seem like im anywhere on the lean side since the car pulls very well!!

needed to know what risks am i taking? im getting hondata on this ecu very soon and tweeking it so if i am running lean then it will be fixed and tweeked, but if i am running lean now i really dont want to blow up my motor so what to do? opinions?
Old 07-29-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Will a JDM P72 ecu run an H22A dangerously lean ?? (chameleon)

I am confused I thought you already had a tuned p72?? And if not then the shop should tune both fuel and ignition maps for you so that you are within safe spec, as well as getting rid of the lag at the vtec crossove point.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's the deal.

the usdm P72 stock ran like crap!! and boggy as hell.
the jdm P72 ran great stock and almost as if it was a P13.

but the usdm P72 with hondata had vtec tuned so it would run like crap but vtec would kick ***, for some reason what they tried was not getting rid of the problem.

although the JDM P72 would run like crap in my friends car (h22 hatch) and the hondata usdm P72 would rip *** in his whip.

so what i decided to do is if i get hondata on the P72 it will run great and will need minimal tuning cuz it runs great as it is.. just what ever they did to vtec then they can do to the JDM one cuz it runs really good, maybe improve the low end a bit and im set.

thats the situation. so my friend is buying the hondata off me.
until he pays me im using the JDM ecu stock so i wanna make sure im not running too lean even if it runs good and my a/f gauge isnt lying to me.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is weird, but do what you need to do. I think I am going to get the Spoon chip for the p13 first and see how well that runs. Then later go the hondata route if necessary.