Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my H22 eating through cams?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is my H22 eating through cams?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!

I've had my H22 in my Accord for almost a year now...one night I missed a shift went from 3rd to 2nd and messed some valves up in the head. I thought no problem, I'll just get new valves,springs, ret and a port job, which I did. The guy who did it had an extra H22 head sitting around from some kids motor that he blew up with too much n2o but anyway, he did all the work to that head and once it was done, I just traded heads. Anyway I got the motor all together drove it about 3 months and couldn't get the valves to stop making noise. I eventually take it to a friend who works for the guy who built my head and he tries to do a valve adjustment and it fails b/c we notice the cam has been badly worn away on the #1 cylinder exhaust side. He and the guy who built my head said it was b/c of lack of lubrication b/c I had the wrong dipstick in the car and not enough oil. Anyway I bought a whole another used head and replaced the cams and that one set of rocker arms b/c that was trashed too(only the #1 cylinder exhaust side). I get it back together and now as I do another valve adjustment 3 weeks after I just replaced my cams that same cam lobe is already showing signs of wear?!?!?!? I have plenty of oil in the motor so why is it still eating up that cam lobe and rocker!?!? I've left a message on the guys machine hopefully he'll call me. But anyway, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong, its all aftermarket valves, springs, ret....my neighbor said it may be the wrong spring or too much tension for it but the guy who built it swears its 100% perfect...what the hell do I do?!?!?!?
Old 09-12-2002, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Why is my H22 eating through cams?!?!!?!?!?!?!?! (slow94accord)

is it the same cam in two different heads? it might be a bent cam. Are you sure they torqued everything down to spec? Other than that, hmmm... Can't think of anything, maybe timing off? let's see what the rest of the guys say.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you 100% sure your using the right dipstick? you could be running the head dry of oil...
Old 09-12-2002, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Why is my H22 eating through cams?!?!!?!?!?!?!?! (KAMiN)

I changed my oil in the process and put exactly 5.1 quarts and marked it on the dipstick

The cams were replaced with newer stock ones and timing is dead on

[Modified by slow94accord, 11:54 PM 9/12/2002]
Old 09-12-2002, 02:55 PM

Is there an easy way to check oil pressure without hooking up a guage???
Old 09-12-2002, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there an easy way to check oil pressure without hooking up a guage???
That doenst make much sense. Cuz you cant very well See, Hear, Taste, Touch or smell oil pressure.....now can you? So how will you be able to check it without a guage?

Take off your Valve Cover and start your car. You'll know really quick that it has Oil

Mark

[Modified by SlvrEj6Dx, 4:28 AM 9/13/2002]
Old 09-13-2002, 04:15 AM

Default Re: Why is my H22 eating through cams?!?!!?!?!?!?!?! (SlvrEj6Dx)

what i meant was can an auto shop just plug somethin in and check the oil pressure as it is revved up there in the garage?
Old 09-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a hole by the distributor (a bolt with a crush washer) that you can screw and oil pressure gauge into to see if your VTEC is getting correct oil Press. but not sure about the head. Basically if your head was starving for oil then it makes more sense that you would have both cams screwed. Seems more like a valve is sticking in your head. Or maybe you have a bent valve in that cyl. Thats all I can think of (unless you have a clog in the oil gallies in the head)

Mark
Old 09-13-2002, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Why is my H22 eating through cams?!?!!?!?!?!?!?! (SlvrEj6Dx)

Well I had the motor running without the valve cover and oil was dripping on the lobe so no "gallies" are clogged, its getting oil...well at least at idle.

So that screw....i know the one you are talking about....does it only read the pessure when v-tec kicks in?? I plugged it in while idling and it doesn't read anything. Does vtec "hit" when you aren't moving and you rev it up at a stop???
Old 09-17-2002, 09:00 PM

Seems to me if the Head was Damaged before, have you checked the journals to insure that the head is true. If any welding was done, Heat distortion may have warped the head. you might try getting the Head Miked and see for sure that your cam journals are true. If you are wearing the same spot on the cams then I would look real hard at that location.

If the Head was warped then the machinest prob just flushed the bottome of the heads to make it sit flat. Do you have any oil leaks from the Valve Cover gasket. Might be a sign of the problem. Hell check the gasket is there any difference in the thickness of the gasket in one side more than another.

Hmm this old fart acts like he might know what he is talkin bout. But what do I know Im Drag racing a 85 Prelude with dual carbs.

This Aint Yo Momma's Honda