Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who can make jdm itr motor smog legal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who can make jdm itr motor smog legal?

topic says it all.
if you know how or know any shop that can do it, please help me out.
btw, this is a 98 jdm itr motor in 97 integra ls.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: who can make jdm itr motor smog legal? (lakerschamp2000)

From what I have heard, the rules have changed somewhat here in California regarding JDM motors. JDM motors don't seem to be the automatic fail that they once were. But in order to be legal, they MUST be used with ALL California emissions smog equipment. In other words, your car MUST be made completely OBDII compliant, using the proper California P73 ECU.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who can make jdm itr motor smog legal? (StorminMatt)

...and the parts that have smog sensors!
Old 07-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StorminMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I have heard, the rules have changed somewhat here in California regarding JDM motors. JDM motors don't seem to be the automatic fail that they once were. But in order to be legal, they MUST be used with ALL California emissions smog equipment. In other words, your car MUST be made completely OBDII compliant, using the proper California P73 ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>
my car is 97 and is obd2 and the jdm itr swap also obd2 as well. i already tried the usdm itr ecu and it gave me 2 codes, 54 and 22. are there any other sensor or vacuum that i need to hook them up in order to pass smog? help me out
Old 07-02-2003, 11:32 AM

code 22 is the vtec pressure switch. you'll need to install this sensor to run usdm ecu's. its located next to the solenoid.
code 54 is the crankshaft fluctuation sensor. i dont think jdm itr engines have one. correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kazejin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kazejin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">code 22 is the vtec pressure switch. you'll need to install this sensor to run usdm ecu's. its located next to the solenoid.
code 54 is the crankshaft fluctuation sensor. i dont think jdm itr engines have one. correct me if im wrong.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
you are right. what else do i need to get beside these two sensors? i need to go to the ref. thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StorminMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I have heard, the rules have changed somewhat here in California regarding JDM motors. JDM motors don't seem to be the automatic fail that they once were. But in order to be legal, they MUST be used with ALL California emissions smog equipment. In other words, your car MUST be made completely OBDII compliant, using the proper California P73 .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I never heard of a california p73. all I ever seem is a usdm ecu or jdm ecu. I never thought california was that special that honda made a ecu just for them and I live in ca.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who can make jdm itr motor smog legal? (sleeperciv)

i guess what he mean was a usdm itr p73 ecu.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lakerschamp2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess what he mean was a usdm itr p73 ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is what I meant. And yes, the crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor and VTEC pressure switch are going to be problems. Because the JDM B18C5 has neither. To add these parts, you will probably have to buy the USDM parts. Keep in mind that a stock B18C5 has no provisions for the VTEC pressure switch. So you will have to buy both the switch AND the actual mounting plate for the VTEC solenoid.

I have not looked into the crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor. But at the very least, you will need to buy the sensor itself and the crankshaft sprocket. You will also need a lower timing belt cover that will allow the wire to come out. And at worst, you may have to buy the oil pump cover, as the JDM piece might not have mouting points for this sensor.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the answer to all your questions to making a jdm motor legal.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=551049
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=375500
Old 07-03-2003, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who can make jdm itr motor smog legal? (eg6si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the answer to all your questions to making a jdm motor legal.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=551049
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=375500
</TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks alot for the thread. i went all of those replies and still got some question.
After i take care of all the sensors and vacumn lines and all of that smog equipment, do i have to replace the jdm itr intake manifold to usdm itr? it's gonna be a lot of work. i thought that the jdm itr im as same as skunk2 im. so if the skunk2 is CARB legal, then why not the jdm one as long as everything is hook up.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lakerschamp2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
...i thought that the jdm itr im as same as skunk2 im. so if the skunk2 is CARB legal, then why not the jdm one as long as everything is hook up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

its really a hit and miss when it comes to that. to be honest you'd be better off with a usdm(carb inspectors know what to look at) or use a skunk2 manifold. no one ever said this was a cake walk...it takes time and patience and a few

good luck with the hybrid.