Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where did YOU tap in to wire the IAB (secondary intake solenoid) for vtec???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did YOU tap in to wire the IAB (secondary intake solenoid) for vtec???

This is about the only thing I have NO idea about with my swap.
I have the vtec solenoid, vtec oil pressure, and knock sensor all wired at the shock tower engine harness all neat and $hit!

I looked through the electrical part in my GSR helms manual and I can not find find the pin ID's for the shock tower harnesses for the IAB.

The IAB plug is shown in the pic but it's going to be pretty hard to tap in under the manifold. Where do you guys tap in for this wire to run back to the ECU (A17)

When I unwrapped my Cx wire harnesses wires are spliced underneath the loom / electrical tape. At some points different color wires would spice in and come out to one wire a totally different color Has anyone ever traced the IAB wires back to the shock tower harnesses? If not, where is the best place to tap in to this and run it back to the ECU?

There are 2 wires on the IAB above. A reb / blue wire and a black wire that is hard to see. Does it matter which one you tap into? Is the black a ground?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2003, 06:04 PM

you are going to look for the pink and blue wire on the driver side harness, near the master cylinder on the strut tower, extend that wire into the cabin and run it to A17 in the ecu. I think that is correct, you may want to verify that at HybridHonda
Old 04-12-2003, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where did YOU tap in to wire the IAB (secondary intake solenoid) for vtec??? (Hybrid93Hatch)

Secondary butterflies are tricky. I'm assuming your OBD1 swapping a GSR into an EG.

I don't know of exact colors of OBD1 and OBD2 for the IAB's due to they change.

For an OBD1 GSR motor/harness (regardless of the OBD you are wiring up), the red/blue wire goes to the pin-out A17 and the other wire goes to 12v source. Which can be spliced into the A25 or B1 (sensor voltage) wire.

For OBD2 GSR motor/harness, the red/blue wire goes to A20, and the other wire is ground.

Go with whatever OBD you are wiring up.

HTH bro
Old 04-13-2003, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigblockEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigblockEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are going to look for the pink and blue wire on the driver side harness, near the master cylinder on the strut tower, extend that wire into the cabin and run it to A17 in the ecu. I think that is correct, you may want to verify that at HybridHonda</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, there is a pink / blue wire on the drivers side harness near the master cylinder for teh GSR harness. But, there is already a wire on the Civic's harness for that pin and I thought only DOHC motors were wired for IAB???
Old 04-13-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did YOU tap in to wire the IAB (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Secondary butterflies are tricky. I'm assuming your OBD1 swapping a GSR into an EG.

For OBD2 GSR motor/harness, the red/blue wire goes to A20, and the other wire is ground.

Go with whatever OBD you are wiring up.

HTH bro </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have an OBD2 motor and using an OBD1 ECU. I just need to find a good location to splice in the IAB, preferbly the shock tower.....
Old 04-13-2003, 07:25 AM

you can splice in at the shock tower, drivers side. I am pretty sure that there is a pink/blue wire on the drivers side Civic harness that is dead on the cabin side. You can just run from that side in to the ecu. Not 100%, but I think so.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:02 AM
Trial User

i thought the knock sensor was pink and blue?
Old 04-13-2003, 08:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where did YOU tap in to wire the IAB (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have an OBD2 motor and using an OBD1 ECU. I just need to find a good location to splice in the IAB, preferbly the shock tower.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

With OBD1 ECU, you need A17 and a 12v sensor positive. B1 or A25 is sensor positive. Try splicing into those wires. With A17, you will need to wire directly to the ECU which I'm sure you knew.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigblockEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can splice in at the shock tower, drivers side. I am pretty sure that there is a pink/blue wire on the drivers side Civic harness that is dead on the cabin side. You can just run from that side in to the ecu. Not 100%, but I think so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish someone could tell me if this is right or not
Old 04-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did YOU tap in to wire the IAB (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With OBD1 ECU, you need A17 and a 12v sensor positive. B1 or A25 is sensor positive. Try splicing into those wires.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is kind of throwing me off. I know I need to wire A17 to teh IAB, but what is this "12v sensor positive"? Where does this wire go to from the B1 or A25?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With A17, you will need to wire directly to the ECU which I'm sure you knew. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, know this part
Old 04-13-2003, 08:27 PM

I am going to check my old car for you. It is a 95 hatch, GSR., I will post when I know
Old 04-14-2003, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where did YOU tap in to wire the IAB (bigblockEG)

Ok guys. I took the Cx harness back out to the car and plugged in that one drivers side harness at the shock tower. I followed the wire marked in the pic back to where it came from:

And it'sconnected to this 2 wire piece:

I thought only DOHC motors have the IAB (secondary intake sensor)? Is this even the IAB? I am really confused, but this IS the red / blue wire on the drivers side harness.

Thanks again for any help!

PS &lt;&gt; The 2 pics of the sensor are from the 93 Cx NOT the GSR!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump! Anyone?
Old 04-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I thought only DOHC motors have the IAB (secondary intake sensor)? Is this even the IAB? I am really confused, but this IS the red / blue wire on the drivers side harness.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not All DOHC motors have an IAB sensor. Actually the GSR B18C1 (JDM B18C GSR) and the H22A (not all) have the dual stage manifold with an IAB sensor.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

You are trying to wire the IAB the hard way although it's much cleaner tracing through and using current wires in the engine/chassis harness. I wired up the knock sensor, IAB and O2 in my 92 VX with 99 B18C1 but I ran my own wires and bypassed the engine and chassis harness completely. The wires are flex loomed and ran along the engine harness so you can't tell that I've added them.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are trying to wire the IAB the hard way although it's much cleaner tracing through and using current wires in the engine/chassis harness. I wired up the knock sensor, IAB and O2 in my 92 VX with 99 B18C1 but I ran my own wires and bypassed the engine and chassis harness completely. The wires are flex loomed and ran along the engine harness so you can't tell that I've added them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I ended up getting the multi-meter (sp?) out and testing the red/blue IAB wire. Put the black on one end and the red on the wire in the pic below. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP is what I heard

I also found a lot of info about the IAB in the GSR helms that was very helpful.

Now, I just have to figure out that one power wire that is connected to the + battery terminal

I am guessing since that wire is present on the Cx harness that it may have been for something else .....Oh well, the IAB is wired and I am
Old 04-16-2003, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

good job man
Old 04-17-2003, 01:46 AM

Default Re: (Vic Nyce)

hey hybrid93hatch, could you please tell me the wire colors for the knock sensor, VTEC solenoid, VTEC Oil prssure? I have a 94 gsr engine wiring harness going into a 92 hatch. Is the VTEC wires present on the cabin harness already? if so what are the colors? would also be helpful if you know the IAB wires.. thanks