Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (needs to be smog legal, in CA)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 04:04 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (needs to be smog legal, in CA)

I currently have a blacktop ZC in my 90 CRX. I'm tired of worrying about smog checks and getting the hood popped since I'm in Ca.

Once I finish up my turbo zc project, I want to sell that off and swap in a smog-legal B16 and then boost it (using a CARB-approved kit as well).

Where do you guys recommend I buy my *USDM* B16 from? (I can find JDM B16s easily and the prices are fine, but I still worry about smogchecks, etc being in Cali.)

And what kind of price should I expect to pay. (I'll also need cable tranny, axles, hasport mounts, etc if that helps)

I tried searching, but since "b16" is only 3 chars, nothing comes up.
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2003, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (TAG)

You'll need to purchase most likely the 2nd gen B16A3 from the 94-97 del Sol or the 99-00 B16A2 and convert it to OBD0 using JDM 1st gen B16 parts with a JDM PR3 or PW0 ecu as well.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy a b16 bottom end from the dealer and put it all together...pickup the smog equipment from junkyards/friends/dealer.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (eg6si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buy a b16 bottom end from the dealer and put it all together...pickup the smog equipment from junkyards/friends/dealer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good idea
Old 05-13-2003, 08:53 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (eg6si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buy a b16 bottom end from the dealer and put it all together...pickup the smog equipment from junkyards/friends/dealer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, I had not even thought of this idea. Anyone know what kind of price I should expect from the dealer? I will call multiple dealers tomorrow, but I just wanted to see what I should expect.

THANKS!
Old 05-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TAG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I currently have a blacktop ZC in my 90 CRX. I'm tired of worrying about smog checks and getting the hood popped since I'm in Ca.

Once I finish up my turbo zc project, I want to sell that off and swap in a smog-legal B16 and then boost it (using a CARB-approved kit as well).

Where do you guys recommend I buy my *USDM* B16 from? (I can find JDM B16s easily and the prices are fine, but I still worry about smogchecks, etc being in Cali.)

And what kind of price should I expect to pay. (I'll also need cable tranny, axles, hasport mounts, etc if that helps)

I tried searching, but since "b16" is only 3 chars, nothing comes up.
Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just at the ref the other day. JDM engines are legal so long as you retain all the original smog equipment for your vehicle.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (Hybrid93Eg)

Thats right, legit JDM motors can pass, ive called up the beruea in Sacramento and asked a ref that question. U need a receipt for the engine, a PR3 ECU, and retain all your smof stuff. which isnt that much on a EF anyway, just the plugs on your firewall and the carbon canister, oh and try to get a stock intake hose from a 91-92 integra. Theres two little vacume things on the intake manifold that you need to connect to the intake hose. Thats about it. MAke sure all the wiring is clean, they look at that stuff.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:47 AM
New User

Default Re: Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (The B Man)

if you claim your motor is 94-95 B16a3(del sol) make sure your running all OBD1 equipment including the correct ecu...they checked my ecu when i BARed it...seriously doubt you can ref OBD0 just because there arnt any OBD0 b16 stateside that were released
Old 05-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (wuhungsixxx)

Listen, dont bother with all that USDM motor BS. I personally talked to a Ref this morning (there happens to be a ref station in the automotive program of my College). I have a friend that works there. Get a JDM engine, it has to be newer than your car. The year is stamped on the head, so dont bother lying. Use the PR3 ECU, thats right the PR3. Thats the ECU the motor was intended for, its stamped on the head also. To be safe id recomend a 91 b18a intake manifold, it has all the emmisions stuff you need. Then hook up your canister and the sensors on the firewall and your set. Make sure its not throwin any codes. Do clean wiring. Retard the timing for lower emissions. Get a new cat just to be safe. Throw down 40 bux and youl have a carb sticker.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:41 PM
TAG
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The B Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Listen, dont bother with all that USDM motor BS. I personally talked to a Ref this morning (there happens to be a ref station in the automotive program of my College). I have a friend that works there. Get a JDM engine, it has to be newer than your car. The year is stamped on the head, so dont bother lying. Use the PR3 ECU, thats right the PR3. Thats the ECU the motor was intended for, its stamped on the head also. To be safe id recomend a 91 b18a intake manifold, it has all the emmisions stuff you need. Then hook up your canister and the sensors on the firewall and your set. Make sure its not throwin any codes. Do clean wiring. Retard the timing for lower emissions. Get a new cat just to be safe. Throw down 40 bux and youl have a carb sticker.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BEST explanation I've seen so far. Thanks a lot!

...BAR/CARB stickers, here I come...
Old 05-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The B Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Listen, dont bother with all that USDM motor BS. I personally talked to a Ref this morning (there happens to be a ref station in the automotive program of my College). I have a friend that works there. Get a JDM engine, it has to be newer than your car. The year is stamped on the head, so dont bother lying. Use the PR3 ECU, thats right the PR3. Thats the ECU the motor was intended for, its stamped on the head also. To be safe id recomend a 91 b18a intake manifold, it has all the emmisions stuff you need. Then hook up your canister and the sensors on the firewall and your set. Make sure its not throwin any codes. Do clean wiring. Retard the timing for lower emissions. Get a new cat just to be safe. Throw down 40 bux and youl have a carb sticker.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ref failed me because I am using a 99 Si intake manifold on my 92 B17. I need to find, preferrably, a B17 intake manifold, but this is next to impossible. The B18 manifold appears to be different and thus I don't think it would visually pass. Know of any other alternative? First gen B16 manifold won't pass because it has the little vacuum dashpot on the manifold.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:24 PM
New User

once they find out your using a different manifold they will fail you...true that JDMs can pass...im proof...but it still varies from ref to ref...clean wiring is a plus
Old 05-14-2003, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (wuhungsixxx)

B man is it as easy as you say? i have a 92 integra with a 96 motor but everything is setup for obd1 i have the stock ecu , cat ,ect my only problem is that im running a skunk 2 mainfold (that is now carb exempt ) but dont have carb plaque since i bought it 2 years ago before it was carb exempt i really want to get a bar for my car but i have heard some horror stories
Old 05-14-2003, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you rewired it to OBDI it will fail.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.hmotorsonline.com sells both usdm and jdm engines. their in los angeles too.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a complete D16Z6 ready to throw in my CRX and can't get a decent installer when I say I'm doing the total D16z6 and taking it right down to the Ref
My point.........why is everyone mixing and matching different engine parts, if your
worried about Calif SMOG get the USDM engine and do the total swap then your
in 100% complete compliance. Then throw that Damn turbo on...............
Old 05-26-2003, 03:49 PM
No tears. Only dreams, now.

Wow... I feel bad. You should all move to the midwest.. over here, the cops have never heard of JDM, let alone a B16A1... oh yeah, and we don't have smog. Hmm... so just pay $300 in gas, and drive from CA to Iowa.. or Michigan, or Ohio... anyway, there's your best bet. Oh yeah, and if you want a USDM B16, just go to a junkyard. that's my .02 Oh yeah, and did I mention that my friend's B18 Crx actually got complemented by a nice Ohio State Trooper that stopped to help us change a belt? He said it was a "sweet looking piece of machine"... haha...
Old 05-26-2003, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Where to buy USDM B16 engine? (VashTheStampede)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VashTheStampede &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow... I feel bad. You should all move to the midwest.. over here, the cops have never heard of JDM, let alone a B16A1... oh yeah, and we don't have smog. Hmm... so just pay $300 in gas, and drive from CA to Iowa.. or Michigan, or Ohio... anyway, there's your best bet. Oh yeah, and if you want a USDM B16, just go to a junkyard. that's my .02 Oh yeah, and did I mention that my friend's B18 Crx actually got complemented by a nice Ohio State Trooper that stopped to help us change a belt? He said it was a "sweet looking piece of machine"... haha... </TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed!
When I first moved here, I asked about smog checks and my friends were like: "Uhhh, whats that??"
Too bad my stock (so far) D15 will pass emissions still... well, maybe not becuase the cat is shot, rusty exhaust and who knows what...

I wonder how those f-bodies with headers, straight pipes, and cams would do on emissions?