Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what swap should i go with in my 99 civic ex have funds just looking for big power

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what swap should i go with in my 99 civic ex have funds just looking for big power

i want to do a swap, 99 civic ex. i have the funds and plan on boosting, already have full turbo kit. i want around 400 hp and still be a reliable dd. i will be building engine completely with good parts. what swap do you suggest k series or b series or any other that will work.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: what swap should i go with in my 99 civic ex have funds just looking for big powe

How do you have the full turbo kit (which includes the SPECIFIC manifold for the engine it's going on) BEFORE the engine? That's not possible.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: what swap should i go with in my 99 civic ex have funds just looking for big powe

K>B. btw some of the components of the turbo kit for your d16 with not be compatable should you get a K20/24. my input get a k24 and boost it or a k20a2 really up to you you need to do a lot more research first tho
Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
How do you have the full turbo kit (which includes the SPECIFIC manifold for the engine it's going on) BEFORE the engine? That's not possible.
i have a kit for a d series but i already knew i was going to have to get a new manifold i want ram horn anyways just need to know what to buy it for before i order a new one
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
K>B. btw some of the components of the turbo kit for your d16 with not be compatable should you get a K20/24. my input get a k24 and boost it or a k20a2 really up to you you need to do a lot more research first tho
do you happen to know if my injectors will swap to a k series they have top hats on them do know if that matters just wondering if they are universal because the top hats are removable. they are made by k tuned
Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM
The Grumpiest

Let me rephrase. YOU CANNOT have a turbo kit for an engine you don't even have. If it was for a D-series but you're swapping engines then it was a non-issue and should not have been mentioned.

If you want "big" horsepower just get the biggest engine with the most power that you can afford to have installed. Period. Easy peasey.

I see this has been moved to the Hybrid forum. Good luck. And make use of the advanced search and maybe see all your questions have already been answered.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me rephrase. YOU CANNOT have a turbo kit for an engine you don't even have. If it was for a D-series but you're swapping engines then it was a non-issue and should not have been mentioned.

If you want "big" horsepower just get the biggest engine with the most power that you can afford to have installed. Period. Easy peasey.

I see this has been moved to the Hybrid forum. Good luck.
i mentioned it because i was saying that i am gonna boost it and did not say anything about changing the turbo all i asked for is what engine to go with and i will be doing the swap my self. and now i am asking what needs to be changed other than the manifold
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see this has been moved to the Hybrid forum. Good luck. And make use of the advanced search and maybe see all your questions have already been answered.
i dont think the biggest engine is the best answer i was told a h22 for example would be to heavy and have to much torque for my car it was never catch traction and other things as well i want to know power potential and weights and torque curves because i wanna be able to use my power. not sure if i am wording it right but i think you get the point.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you are looking to make 400hp and are worried about traction? there's this thing called boost by gear. fascinating stuff.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood
you are looking to make 400hp and are worried about traction? there's this thing called boost by gear. fascinating stuff.
been looking into it but can that work with a manual boost controller i just dont understand how if the turbo spools off my exhaust. and i am gonna run some type of drag radial just not sure how wide.this will be my first turbo build so sorry if i am a little confused i usually build naturally aspirated v8s. seems like everyone on here just wants to criticize what i am doing and not give any good advice. all i want to know is a good swap for my car and how painful it is to do. and what kinda of hp and torque capability they have from people who have already did what i am trying to do
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/k-series-153/more-boost-stock-k20-697whp-close-enough-right-3144444/
Old 05-10-2013, 03:48 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by bigkuntrysc
i dont think the biggest engine is the best answer i was told a h22 for example would be to heavy and have to much torque for my car it was never catch traction and other things as well i want to know power potential and weights and torque curves because i wanna be able to use my power. not sure if i am wording it right but i think you get the point.
Heard wrong. Everything you said is just nonsense. I'm willing to bet you didn't read all that on the net.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my h22 hatchback weighed 2155 on the scaled with me not in it... it weighed 2087 with a b16 lsd swap..

heavy? uh no. handling any different? NO
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want big power from the swap then go with a J35 or the big bad boy the J37. I would just go with a B series swap as it will be the easiest and 98% of your turbo kit will be compatible. You will need a new manifold and down pipe for sure and you will need to tweak the intercooler hot side piping a little. You injectors will work but it depend on what size they are and how much power you plant to push. On pump gas a B18C1 stock with bolt on turbo kit can do 300-350whp on a good tune. I like Ls Vtec motors personally.

Last edited by nealnanoHX; 05-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bigkuntrysc
Lol, sorry bro. You need to do more research before jumping the gun. You should tell me the weight difference between a K series swap and a h22 swap? If your looking for a reliable boosted setup then invest into a good engine management and injectors, etc etc.. It not the motor you should worry about. I think we can all agree both motor respond well when boosted, it's the small detailed part is what you want and no a chipped p28 isn't qualify to be called reliable. Use the search button as this topic has been cover many times on honda-tech