Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What plugs are different between OBD1 and 2?(Civic/Integra related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What plugs are different between OBD1 and 2?(Civic/Integra related)

I know the injector and distributor are different. Is there anything else? The reason I'm asking is because I'm putting a b16 into my 94 Civic DX. The distributor is OBD 2 but the injectors and OBD 1. I was thinking I could just change the injectors to newer OBD 2s and buy an OBD 2 Integra engine harness and plug and play with my stock in-car harness and use a chipped p28. That way the only wiring I have to do is run VTEC from the engine harness at the shock tower and pin it inside the car. This should work right? I have a stock p30 now but I don't think that will P&P with my in-car harness.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What plugs are different between OBD1 and 2?(Civic/Integra related) (Skeletor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skeletor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know the injector and distributor are different. Is there anything else? The reason I'm asking is because I'm putting a b16 into my 94 Civic DX. The distributor is OBD 2 but the injectors and OBD 1. I was thinking I could just change the injectors to newer OBD 2s and buy an OBD 2 Integra engine harness and plug and play with my stock in-car harness and use a chipped p28. That way the only wiring I have to do is run VTEC from the engine harness at the shock tower and pin it inside the car. This should work right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could actually ruse you stock harness without much more work. You can change the OBD2 distributor plug to the 2 OBD1 plugs and change the injectors to OBD1 like you mentioned. The alternator plug is also different for OBD2, so you could change it or the plug. Other than that you shouldn't have any issues except for wiring up the necessary sensors: VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure, Knock, etc.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a stock p30 now but I don't think that will P&P with my in-car harness. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's an OBD1 P30 then yes your ECU plugs will plug right in.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:51 PM

Default Re: What plugs are different between OBD1 and 2?(Civic/Integra related) (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You could actually ruse you stock harness without much more work. You can change the OBD2 distributor plug to the 2 OBD1 plugs and change the injectors to OBD1 like you mentioned. The alternator plug is also different for OBD2, so you could change it or the plug. Other than that you shouldn't have any issues except for wiring up the necessary sensors: VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure, Knock, etc.

If it's an OBD1 P30 then yes your ECU plugs will plug right in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So it would probably be easier to just convert the OBD2 distributor and alternator to OBD1 and keep the injectors OBD1. Should it be as simple as a cut and solder or is there a better way? And the p30 will require no re-pinning in the car, just add the three needed wires? This sounds even easier than I thought.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:51 PM

Bump
Old 12-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What plugs are different between OBD1 and 2?(Civic/Integra related) (Skeletor)

the main plugs that differ from OBD1 & OBD2 B-seres are these:

- distributor plug
- injector plugs
- alternator plug (green)
- IAT plug
- CFK (which is not found on any OBD1 B or D engines, only found on US OBD2 B & D engines)
- ECU plugs
- IACV plug differs when it comes to non-vtec civic engines; they use a 3-wire IACV plug whereas all OBD1 B+D engines and OBD2 B & D (EX) engines use a 2-wire IACV.

I think thats it unless someone else I forgot something...

If you have a the OBD2 B distributor (dizzy for short), I suggest going with an OBD2 integra VTEC engine harness in your car, unless you have access to an OBD1 B dizzy. if you decide to repin the OBD2 B dizzy to OBD1 spec.....have fun!
Old 12-16-2003, 03:28 PM

That's what I was thinking of doing but my injectors are OBD1 for some reason. I have to check those other things but I hope they are OBD2 so I can do as you said and use a Integra harness. Now if I use the Integra harness, does the p30 ecu require any repinning inside the car? Or do I only have to add the needed wires from the shock tower to the ecu and pin them?
Old 12-16-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Skeletor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Skeletor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now if I use the Integra harness, does the p30 ecu require any repinning inside the car? Or do I only have to add the needed wires from the shock tower to the ecu and pin them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, you just need to wire in the respective VTEC components from the ecu plugs out to the passenger side shock tower main-plug.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:52 AM

Cool thank you very much.