Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what options are there to upgrade the strength of the weird driver's side mount on EK?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 10:23 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what options are there to upgrade the strength of the weird driver's side mount on EK?

i am putting a jdm gsr in this thing and the weird driver's side mount on the 96-00 is known to not be able to handle the power...i don't need a mount kit as i'll be using OEM mounts everywhere but i'd like to upgrade that one.

any ideas?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:40 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what options are there to upgrade the strength of the weird driver's side mount on EK? (builthat

Yeah, that mount is a joke. Literally. I was literally laughing when I pulled mine off and saw it for the first time

The problem is, it's also the mount that soaks up the most engine vibration. You can put an ES insert into every other mount without any adverse effects, but once you put an insert into the driver's trans mount, get ready for cabin vibration.

I think your best bet is to fill it with the urethane compound of your choice. An engine damper would also be a good (albeit expensive) alternative since it will keep the mount ring from tearing out.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: what options are there to upgrade the strength of the weird driver's side mount on EK? (builthat

thanks for the response, bump for more info...

so you think an engine damper would combat any issues?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:04 AM
MiG-21 superfan

up for info...

i see hasport has something called an EKLH with frame rail bracket; i guess i have to change the mount on the engine to a two point one?

if i can just use the stock one with an engine damper, that would be ideal, but i am not sure...
Old 04-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get rid of the stock one and get the hasport ek replacement mount or the innovative engine mount, those mounts are stiff, you wont need a damper,

Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 AM
MiG-21 superfan

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicstar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get rid of the stock one and get the hasport ek replacement mount or the innovative engine mount, those mounts are stiff, you wont need a damper,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i think that's my best bet.

what mount do i get for the engine on that side? i believe the GSR one is 3 bolts, so i would have to switch for a 2 bolt one, right? Can i use a d-series one or does it have to be 99-00 si?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

Full aftermarket mounts cause extreme vibration and deafening levels of cabin noise.

But... if that's the route you want to take, I suggest tracking down some Jimfab mounts. I'm using those all around and they offer unbeatable quality for the price.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:46 PM
MiG-21 superfan

well, in reality, i JUST want to replace that one mount because stock it's a total joke...i want to use all OE stuff around the rest of the setup.

BTW, are there any issues with the b18c hitting the hood of EK when using factory mounts and not a mount kit?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

BTW, are there any issues with the b18c hitting the hood of EK when using factory mounts and not a mount kit?</TD></TR></TABLE>shouldnt be an issue at all.....em1's have a b sereis in them so i would doubt that it would hit
Old 04-18-2007, 05:06 PM
MiG-21 superfan

well, yeah, but the b18c has a taller deck, but i'm sure you are right, it should be ok ; )
Old 04-18-2007, 05:30 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, in reality, i JUST want to replace that one mount because stock it's a total joke...i want to use all OE stuff around the rest of the setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I'm trying to tell you - replacing just that ONE mount will create more noise and vibration than replacing each of the other 4 mounts.

Trust me, I've experimented will all sorts of mount combinations. Replacing the driver's side lower is what causes almost all of the noise. If you just want to strengthen it and keep it from ripping, I'd fill it. But to each his own.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sent pm
Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what you can actually do, and is what i did. you can take the stock mount and weld a thick piece of steel in between the outer rim of the mount. if you look there are tab sort of things right above the rubber part. you will have to use a grinder and clear some of the rubber off so you can weld cleanly to it. but i drove my car like that for a few months and it was fine. eventually ended up just getting hasport mounts anyway. but when you weld any of your mounts...expect ALOT of vibration....
Old 04-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

innovative engine mounts!

85A Grey

stiff as hell and no engine flex