Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what makes a motor a certain year?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what makes a motor a certain year?

I know this sounds obvious but what about a motor makes it a certain year? I know it's encoded into the serial number on the block, but that number really only shows that the BLOCK is from a certain year. you can't tell anything about the internals, or head from it, because they don't necessarily match. I guess there is a serial num on the head somewhere.

heres the scenario: 96 or older H22 block(closed deck) with a newer H22 head, emissions controls, and OBD2 ECU. what year motor is this? could it pass in a newer car? say a 97 with all the H22 stuff from a 97+ except the block.

On the one hand, I'm guessing that this wouldn't pass, but then again, it would at least in theory, be running clean, which is what the law should be aimed at.

aready read this thread
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=385337

search didn't turn up this exact Q

edit: just a bit more background...
Replacement heads must be identical to the original part. Head swaps from different years, engines or makes are illegal. Aftermarket heads or valve train components that are not made to the same specifications as the original parts require an Executive Order to be legal for street use.
If the replacement block or engine is obtained without emissions equipment, all the equipment from the original engine must be installed on the replacement block.
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

[Modified by jweller, 9:45 PM 1/29/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what makes a motor a certain year? (jweller)

heres the scenario: 96 or older H22 block(closed deck) with a newer H22 head, emissions controls, and OBD2 ECU. what year motor is this? could it pass in a newer car? say a 97 with all the H22 stuff from a 97+ except the block
It really depends on your state laws. (For Ex.) In texas you cant have an engine from an older car. But I dont think its as easy to see the year stamped on the block as it is to see the one on the head. If you had all the emmisions equipment working, and had no CEL then I wouldnt see why they wouldnt pass you. Remember its all good until they find out (which they probably never will check)

Edit: Basically what you already posted

Mark

[Modified by SlvrEj6Dx, 2:49 AM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 08:49 PM

Default Re: what makes a motor a certain year? (SlvrEj6Dx)

well i live in MD, and last time i got emissions checked (last year), they didn't even pop the hood. its a bunch of clowns checking emissions where i live (near columbia) but here's the deal. they just recently changed the rules so that if you have a car from 96+ they simply plug into your diagnostic port and check you out like that. they dont even physically measure your emissions (!) anyway, they will probably call your car a 97. if all your emissions equipment are intact you will be fine. doesnt matter what block you have.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what makes a motor a certain year? (dreamer)

they just recently changed the rules so that if you have a car from 96+ they simply plug into your diagnostic port and check you out like that. they dont even physically measure your emissions (!) anyway
oh for real, i didn't hear that. cool

I'm not so worried about passing emissions, thats easy. but I'm pretty sure that it
is a federal law about the motor being same year or newer for a swap. I just want to be 100% legal so that I KNOW there isn't going to be a problem.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:48 PM

Default Re: what makes a motor a certain year? (jweller)

yea you're right its against the law to put an older motor in... but if everything but the block is 97+ you should be ok. if you're worried, just ask around and find a "good" place to get it inspected.