Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What harness do I need to fix this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What harness do I need to fix this thing?

Okay, so I have a 95 civic with a JDM F23A swap. I've been having problems with it stalling when you hit the throttle to start off or downshift. After replacing pretty much everything that could be causing the problem, I took it to a shop to have it diagnosed, they told me I need to replace the ECU and the wiring harness. The car currently has a chipped Civic ECU and the wiring harness has been modified for the motor. (given the overall quality of the work on the car, I'm not surprised the wiring might be faulty)

So: my questions are: Am I right in believing that my motor is pretty much the same thing as a USDM F23A1? If so, does that mean I need the ECU and harness from a 6th gen accord? Should things mostly just plug and play at that point? That car's OBD2, right(the Accord)? Will that cause problems? Also, what about the JDM parts? Will I need a USDM manifold and sensors?
Old 05-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts
Default Re: What harness do I need to fix this thing?

No engine harness from any other OE Honda application will work in your '95 civic using the F23A engine. The proper way to wire this engine in your chassis is to start with an original engine harness from a '95 civic XX (insert your model and trim level) and MODIFY it to fit the F23A engine. This requires adding some connections, lengthening and shortening some connections and changing some connections. The next alternative would be to contact RyWire or ChaseBays for a replacement engine harness.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So my best bet at this point is to probably to find someone who can figure out what might be wrong with the existing harness and fix it?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also why won't the accord harness work, since it's basically the same motor? Is it because the cluster won't wire up, or does it have 2 oxygen sensors, or what?
Old 05-30-2016, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts

The plugs located on the Left and Right shock towers where the engine harness meets the chassis harness DO NOT match up to each other... the Civic and Accord plugs are dramatically different.

Trying to repair your existing harness is a viable idea if you have the proper resources to diagnose the issue, or have access to a qualified shop who routinely deals in wiring issues.