Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when dealer says they will do a swap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens when dealer says they will do a swap.

Let me tell you, nothing good. I blew my motor and warranty would not cover for those who dont know my story. So anyhow, car was dealer and I was charged for them to rip motor out since warranty was void. They said they would put 1/2 the money they charged me to a new motor install. A new motor from them was $5400. I asked if they would do a jdm type r swap if I could find one. The service tech and I discussed what would be involved. I said they would need to swap emissions from my gsr motor to this one. Service guy worked up price to do swap. A little expensive but dealer install gave me piece of mind. HAHA! I bring motor to dealer, drag it in all by myself. All the mechanics gather around motor (about 10) and have this major conversation. the service guy takes meet to meet tech who was in conversation. Tech tells me they cant do this swap because its a jdm motor. I said WTF are you talking about. I set this up with Don (service) and explained everything to him. He said it would be no problem and do engines all the time. Well they go on this rant that its illegal to switch emissions from one motor to the other? Its a federal offense on guy says. I said Ive spoken to people online that have had swaps for years, passing emissions no problem. Than one other tech gives me attitude and says if you want to switch cams, compression ratio and a whole slew of other things. I interrupted him and said NO, I want the motor in the f*cking car with the emissions switched. He says they cant do it. I grab my motor and wheel it out of there. Luckily one mechanic help me get it on the lift gate of my truck. The dealer is Montgomeryville Acura in PA. They sell alot of Comptech parts at triple their rate. Dont trust them because they are as*holes. Luckily my best friend lives next door to a honda service mananger. He is very cool and has set these up before. Him and a mechanic are going to do on the side for me. Moral of story, unless you have a friend that can help you at a dealer, dont trust them for anything pewrformance cause they screw you or your car up. Do it yourself, and dont trust import performance shops either, they put my cams in which lasted a week and 1/2. Do it yourself or know who your dealing with.

[Modified by 2001silvergsr, 12:10 AM 2/8/2002]
Old 02-07-2002, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What happens when dealer says they will do a swap. (2001silvergsr)

bad deal man
Old 02-07-2002, 07:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sorry to hear that man. i remember ur story a few days back. on the other hand since they DoEs AnYoNe KnOw WheRe I CaN GeT SoMe StRObE LiTEZ AnD LiGhT uP WiNdShiElD NoZzLeS??ed u, get ur money back cause they shafted u in the *** with no lubrication. on the plus side, u might b lucky enough for the guys that will actually do the swap to cut ya a better deal.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:52 PM

Here's the deal with the dealership. I worked at a Honda dealership for three years.
1) 90% of the time the service manager is a complete *******.
2) 100% of the time the owner is a complete *******.
3) usually the parts manager is a cool guy but he's not happy because you didn't buy his motor.
4) heres the big one- and im guilty of it too- the techs really dont want to do custom stuff at the dealership level when they could be busting five hour accord timing belts in 40 minutes-with the water pump they charge you the extra half hour for. It's not that they dont think it can be done, they just dont feel like doing it and unfortunately some of them are nerds about it. I bet if you talked to that tech about doing it on the side at his house he would've been cool as poo poo.

not defending the dealer that nerded you, but this is generally the situation. thats one of the reasons i quit.

-Adam
Old 02-07-2002, 09:11 PM

Default Re: What happens when dealer says they will do a swap. (alternativeauto)

you speak the truth, lesson learned.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also, i thinked you got punked by that dealership. i worked at acura for a year as a tech. an acura warranty is 5 years or 50k miles. unless you were over, they should have replaced that motor for you. i dont know what you did, or didnt do, but you should have put that motor back to stock before you took it there for warranty. and yes, side jobs are what makes the tech happy, but no way should you pay $5400 for a freaking long block from acura.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens when dealer says they will do a swap. (Jackson)

i thought it was 4 years and 50,000 miles?
Old 02-08-2002, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens when dealer says they will do a swap. (*******)

the one i was at honored 5 years and 50k miles. regardless, his car is a 2001. no way he put 50k miles on it in a year. he is getting screwed either way.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:53 PM

Default Re: What happens when dealer says they will do a swap. (alternativeauto)

4) heres the big one- and im guilty of it too- the techs really dont want to do custom stuff at the dealership level when they could be busting five hour accord timing belts in 40 minutes-with the water pump they charge you the extra half hour for. It's not that they dont think it can be done, they just dont feel like doing it and unfortunately some of them are nerds about it. I bet if you talked to that tech about doing it on the side at his house he would've been cool as poo poo.
The truth is spoken here. That's the disadvantage of dealers that pay by the job. Its great for them and the techs, but its usually not as good for the customer. Corners are cut to get things done quicker. It also sucks if something strange goes wrong and a 2 hour job takes 4 1/2 hours.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:14 PM

The car was back to stock except for exhaust and suspension. They did punk me and I would reccomend to everyone on this board to steer clear of Montgomeryville Acura. They suck *****, overpriced inexperienced as*holes!!! BTW, I claimed I missed shifted car, warranty does not cover driver error. Basically they said bend over and say ahh. Then to set me up to come in and do my swap was the icing on the cake.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at tustin acura where i worked, we did this guys gsr 2 times. he bent a valve, brought it in, warrantied it, bent valve again, and warrantied it again. this kind of stuff happens all the time. the less you tell them, the better off you are. try another dealership.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:19 AM

Being the glutton for punishment I am, went to a different dealer. My best friends neighbor is service manager at a toyota place, who is affiliated with a honda dealer. I just want to say what a pleasure it is to deal with them versus Montgomeryville acura. Never gave me attitude, nothing but nice and professional. Even going the extra distance to help with selling my trans to somebody. Said they could call and ask for him and he would answer any questions potential buyer had. Let me back into service area to snap shots of car (needed pics for sale of block, trans and had to pick up jdm axles Im not using). I am not going to name dealership until job is done so I can honestly tell my experience. So far, so good though. Is it because my friend got me an in at dealer or are they just a superior operation than idiots at Montgomeryville. Hard to say. Kepp you guys posted.
Old 02-11-2002, 10:50 AM
New User

Right on Adam. Williams Honda in Hampton, Va was the same way. They would tell people there check engine light was due to a AEM CAI. I would stand there in shock, as they lied to these people. There are so many ignorant people running the dealerships its not funny. The "parts ****" that ran that dealership was a dick. Even to employees that get a discount, he would stick it to them. Its a crooked organization in most cases. There are Honda dealerships out there that will cater to swaps, etc. You just have to find them. I had one tech tell me installing Integra brakes would throw my alignment off and mess my camber up. WTF? When I showed him other cars, he would shrug his shoulders, and say it wouldnt fit.