Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does a B18C5 block have that a B18B does not have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does a B18C5 block have that a B18B does not have?

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole Hybrid scene, so please pardon my ignorancy(?)!

Well, I currently own a 99 Civic Si, and miles are getting up there, well not for Honda standards but i think it's time for more torque. I drive a friend's Teg R pretty often from week to week and I really hate having to come back to my whimpy torqueless wonder B16A that I have.

I thought of trying to find a b18C5 shortblock and drop that in with my current B16A head. I also thought about the whole LS Block with the b16A head. The only thing that is keeping me from going with the LS Block is reliability issues. I know most of you will say that it is just as reliable.

But isn't there something in the B18C5 block that makes it better than the LS block in terms of making the motor last longer in higher revs. I'm still researching the B18C5 block as we speak. Doesn't the B18C5 block have oil squirters among other things that help keep friction down and just allow the motor to rev more reliably.

My question is, whatever is is the B18C5 block has is there anyway to build this into a B18B block? I don't have loads of cash and I want to do this right the first time and do it once only. I hope I got my question accross fine, any help on this would greatly be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What does a B18C5 block have that a B18B does not have? (EBPSI)

I think this is pretty much it for advantages of the ITR bottom end...
stronger rods
balanced rotating assembly
oil squirters for cooling underside of pistons
higher output (?) oil pump (built for higher rpm)
higher compression pistons
coated pistons to reduce heat issues/problems

for $1800 or so an almost new ITR bottom end is your best bet.
You can build up a LS (or better yet is a CRV aka B20) bottom end to be better and both will offer more torque but not for the same cost as an assembled ITR block.
dont forget you can sell your B16 bottom end also to recuop some cost.
if you dont have a lot of loot you need to get an ITR bottom end or at least a GSR bottom end... oil squirters, balanced assembly, 1.8L for more torque than yer B16.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does a B18C5 block have that a B18B does not have? (owen_the_soyboy)

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it, I'm having a hard time finding info on the differences between the b18b and b18c5. I would not want to spend 1800 on just the bottom end. I think buying the LS Block and having work done on it would be much better.

Regarding the oil squirters. I have never actually seen a bare block b18c5 so I'm not sure how the squirters look. I did however find this on http://www.clubsi.com:

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.ph...sb=5&o=0&fpart=

That's a B20 that someone put oil-squirters on. Now, my question is, is this very much like how it is on a B18C5. It says he got the squirters from a B16A1.

I would just like some input or opinions on whether the way he rigged it up will work as well as the squirters on the B18C5. Again, thanks for the help
Old 05-08-2002, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does a B18C5 block have that a B18B does not have? (EBPSI)

Just get yourself a b18c shortblock, throw some ITR pistons in it, and there, you have a b18c5 block.

Now if you want to get technical, there are more differences. But I wouldn't worry about them too much.