Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic?

Looking into the whole swap thing, but whats your recommendation for pieces that need to be replaced, or extra pieces I may need? Obviously the belts should be replaced. What about engine mounts? Seals? Which seals? Clutch. . maybe.

I also want to keep the A/C. Will the stock DX A/C work? Or will I need a new A/C pump.

Lastly. . misc parts I may need? Anyone have a list written up or can remember off the top of your head? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to have these parts ready when the engine goes in.

-Adrian
Old 06-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (Hapa88)

the fuel line that goes from the top of the fuel filter to the fuel rail. Dont forget to get a hose clamp for your lower radiator hose.

Old 06-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (Hapa88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hapa88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking into the whole swap thing, but whats your recommendation for pieces that need to be replaced, or extra pieces I may need? Obviously the belts should be replaced. What about engine mounts? Seals? Which seals? Clutch. . maybe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Clutch, timing belt, and water pump is the least you can get a way with.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hapa88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also want to keep the A/C. Will the stock DX A/C work? Or will I need a new A/C pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are going to need a del sol B16a A/C mount to keep A/C. You will use your stock DX Compressor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hapa88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lastly. . misc parts I may need? Anyone have a list written up or can remember off the top of your head? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to have these parts ready when the engine goes in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

other than tools, all you will need it wire to run Vtec and knock sensor and the secondly butterflies.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Clutch, timing belt, and water pump is the least you can get a way with.

You are going to need a del sol B16a A/C mount to keep A/C. You will use your stock DX Compressor.

other than tools, all you will need it wire to run Vtec and knock sensor and the secondly butterflies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool. You said Clutch, timing belt, and water pump. Anything else?
Old 06-04-2003, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while you can do plugs, cap and rotor, wires, and PCV too.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:38 AM

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (turbogixxer)

What about seals? Can anyone tell me which seals tend to go out and should be replaced?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would also replace the fuel filter, air filter (drop in or aftermarket), and valve clearance adjustment.

if you're planning to replace the oil pump, you can replace the front main seal. also you can replace the rear main seal since you're replacing the clutch and cam seals can also be replaced. it is just up to you and your budget whether you want to replace these things or not. it will save you the labor to do it now and will also give you the piece of mind to know that these items are new.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:24 PM

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (Hatch4urSnatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch4urSnatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would also replace the fuel filter, air filter (drop in or aftermarket), and valve clearance adjustment.

if you're planning to replace the oil pump, you can replace the front main seal. also you can replace the rear main seal since you're replacing the clutch and cam seals can also be replaced. it is just up to you and your budget whether you want to replace these things or not. it will save you the labor to do it now and will also give you the piece of mind to know that these items are new. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, yeah I definitely like to have the piece of mind. But would you have any idea how much these seals run? I mean are they like &lt;$10 or more? I figure since its out, I'm gonna try to replace as much as I can. ..
Old 06-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't forget the halfshafts oil seals cost is about $4 each. new heater hoses because the civic hoses would be long enough to reach the engine. new thermostat and upper & lower radiator hoses. an last, you'll might want to get the GSR cataylatic convertor since the o2 sensor bung is at the begining of the cat where in the civic it's right at the begining of the exhaust manifold.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (sleeperciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't forget the halfshafts oil seals cost is about $4 each. new heater hoses because the civic hoses would be long enough to reach the engine. new thermostat and upper & lower radiator hoses. an last, you'll might want to get the GSR cataylatic convertor since the o2 sensor bung is at the begining of the cat where in the civic it's right at the begining of the exhaust manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

forgot about those items.

as for the price of the seals, i don't remember the exact prices for all the seals but, the cam seals SHOULD be less than $10 but, i remember that the main seals are more than $10. they were pretty expensive from what i recall.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure u have the gsr driver side mount and front two torsion mounts, or replace one of them with the del sol vtec so u can keep the ac. replace the front and rear main seals as theyre a biatch to get to, really cheap insurance. ur going to be right there anyways .
Old 07-06-2003, 06:59 PM
JV
Who?

GSR throttle cable, if you don't have one already...
Old 07-07-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (JV)

I was told that you can use the stock throttle cable from your civic... Is this true?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (SpyderZEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpyderZEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was told that you can use the stock throttle cable from your civic... Is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes
Old 07-07-2003, 01:02 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (SpyderZEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpyderZEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was told that you can use the stock throttle cable from your civic... Is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it is true, but i'm really particular about that kinda stuff. I don't like "rigging" things...
Old 07-07-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (JV)

while you're replacing seals, get an STR cam seal. the stock honda ones wear out fairly quickly and leak oil. in case you don't already know, it goes on the exhaust cam on the distributor side of the motor and you'll be able to see the stock one. it looks like a piece of round black plastic about the size of a half dollar.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (00CIVICwB18C1)

AS FAR as the civic throttle, in my 95 DX B18c1 swap i moved the throttle bracket and it's a sweet little setup for it...CAN ANYONE tell my lame *** how to post a pic in this thread?? ill put up a picture of how i did the cable without rigging it...THANKS!!!

And for the things I needed to do the swap the right was with no rigging, check these:
-new timing belt, water pump, and seals basically HAVE to be done
-Energy suspension mount inserts (since the mount rubbers were in good shape) ,

-one heater line was too short coming from the civic, so i replaced it with a longer hose (right under the throttle body)
-DC2 cold air and used a jack-nut (1/4-28) for the little supporting rubber mount, and it fits nice and clean
-GSR header is about 8 inches too short to meet the cat, but a type R header will merry up with it (i believe)
-bought new axles and a used half shaft
-used some straight brackets to fit the GSR radiator and a'c compresser
-replaced head ground
-used skunk2 civic short shifter, just added a shaft collar and 2 washers
-firewall mount, i kept the civic mount on the fw, and used gsr bracket
-throttle cable bracket relocated with civic cable
-check out the TPS, mine was cracked, had to replace with the motor in, and it took me 2 hours... the 2 rivets are a pure nightmare to remove, used a chisel, then used s.s. allen bolts (i think 6mm)
-used gsr fuel line, and replaced fuel filter
-if my memory starts working again, i'll post what else i came across.....it's a full two day swap IF you have everything you need
-GOOD LUCK and have fun, i did!

Modified by fu*kface95hatch at 3:50 AM 7/8/2003
Old 07-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What "little things" will I need to complete a GSR swap to my 93 Civic? (fu*kface95hatch)

also, replace as many hose clamps as you can with stainless steel ones, and get the ones that you tighten down with a slotted head screwdriver
Old 07-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes it is true, but i'm really particular about that kinda stuff. I don't like "rigging" things...</TD></TR></TABLE>

the civic throttle cable can be used because it is the same length as the GSR throttle cable. if you are using the GSR throttle cable, buy the throttle cable bracket from a GSR, for that extra clean look. i'm particular about details as well and this is what we did with my friend's GSR swap:

whole view:

Old 07-10-2003, 01:48 PM

just buy a skunk2 intake manifold for it before you put the motor in it is a hell of a lot easier than with the motor in the car
Old 07-10-2003, 02:07 PM

Default Re: (onefastcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by onefastcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just buy a skunk2 intake manifold for it before you put the motor in it is a hell of a lot easier than with the motor in the car
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that CA Smog legal/Exempt?