Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went for my 1st emissions test today since swap...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went for my 1st emissions test today since swap...

Well, I PASSED!! WOO HOO!!

I wasn't too sure about what would happen, and I wasn't too sure about local laws before I did my OBD II to I swap. But I went today and passed, so that's a HUGE load off my shoulders! This is my daily driver and I would have been screwed big time if I could register my car.

When I got there the ref just asked me how many miles I have on the car. So I just told him the number that was on the Odometer. Then they pulled it in and were trying to read the ECU, but just couldn't get a reading. So the guy there just revved my engine a little while this other worker waved a tailpipe tester behind my car to test for emmisions that way. Then they did the gas cap test. Then finally some other guy came out and asked me to pop my hood for him. I was scared for a second. I'm going , ' nonono, don't ask me questions..' I popped it for him and they gave it a look over. The guy that was reving my engine blurted out," AAAHHH YEEAAH! Fuel injection technology!!' I don't know what that was about.

Anyway, just thought I'd share for anyone else's knowledge that considering the same type of swap ( OBD II to I ). Don't mention anything about the swap, just give them your paper and let them go through their routine. Just make sure your engine bay is clean and everything looks to be in place.

/

[Modified by sivik2nr, 1:58 PM 12/16/2002]

[Modified by sivik2nr, 5:58 PM 12/16/2002]

[Modified by sivik2nr, 2:20 AM 12/25/2002]
Old 12-16-2002, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Went for my 1st emissions test today since swap... (sivik2nr)

Heh, here in cali you would be fried to a crisp from all the heat you would have thrown at you by the refs, and the PoPo man.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i remember when i passed my emissions RIGHT after my swap.
it was good
congrats
Old 12-16-2002, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup I would of passed in our state.. but beng in california .. and the fact I have a obd-2 car and obd-1 wiring I failed =P.. so I had to give someone a few bags of oranges to pass
Old 12-16-2002, 12:51 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Then they pulled it in and were trying to read the ECU, but just couldn't get a reading.
Weird... the 4 times I've been to a smog ref here in CA and they've never went to look at the ECU. They did check to make sure that there were no ECU codes (via the CEL) and if there weren't any, then that's all they needed. They would check to make sure your CEL did come on briefly when you turn the car ON.... I've seen some people take the bulb out of their cluster to try and fool the tech - that obviously doesn't work.

Don't mention anything about the swap, just give them your paper and let them go through their routine. Just make sure your engine bay is clean and everything looks to be in place.
Heh... word. Just go there with a clean looking swap (no extra wires all over the place, make sure every vacuum line is plugged up and routed properly, make sure your smog equipment it all hooked up) and that it passes the tailpipe test. They check your gas cap to make sure you don't have any leaks in your fuel lines and will check the charcoal canister and how it's hooked up according to the year of your car and motor.... meaning if you have a 97 motor in a 93 car, you need to have the smog equipment hooked up in spec to the 97 motor. If you have a 1st gen JDM B16 motor in your CRX, they want you to hook up the smog equipment same as the US B16 Del Sols here since that's the closest US-comparable equivelant setup. There's a few tricks and that sort that you realize what they look for, what they don't, and how to make certain setups pass.

Old 12-16-2002, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Went for my 1st emissions test today since swap... (IM ALL BOB)

I failed =P.. so I had to give someone a few bags of oranges to pass
haahahahahahah