Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird vtec issue, please help lol I'm desperate.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird vtec issue, please help lol I'm desperate.

Hey everyone, I just finished building my car. It's a 92 hatch with a 95 b18c1 swap. I put it on the road 2 weeks ago. The only issue with the whole car is the vtec engagement. Let me explain. When the car let's say half way warmed up, vtec works great. I know I probably should wait until it's fully warmed up, just hear me out. After you drive it a little bit more, the vtec engages, but then kicks in and out pretty rapidly. After the car had been driven for 15 minutes or so and is fully warmed up, the vtec kicks in for a split second and then nothing at all. Could this be an oil pressure issue? Would a bad solenoid cause this? All the wires are good, I just checked for sh*ts and giggles to make sure. Any imput appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird vtec issue, please help lol I'm desperate.

I'd apply voltage to the solenoid to see if it stays or goes in an out like describe. Do it when cold and later after you have warmed the engine up.
Next check the oil pressure. Make sure you have a good oil filter too. Not a cheap one.
Eliminate the easy stuff first.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird vtec issue, please help lol I'm desperate.

Originally Posted by SM514
I'd apply voltage to the solenoid to see if it stays or goes in an out like describe. Do it when cold and later after you have warmed the engine up.
Next check the oil pressure. Make sure you have a good oil filter too. Not a cheap one.
Eliminate the easy stuff first.
So I've eliminated all the easy stuff. I was excited to see the oil pressure sensor cracked off but sadly fixing that did nothing. Here is my next thought, the engine, after finding the Vin is a 97, making it obd2, yet it is running off of a 0bd1 wiring harness with a non-chipped p28 obd1 ecu. This is the ecu that came with the swap. Could this have an effect? Also, the oil pan is dented, which I've heard is can have a big effect on things.