Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vtec problem after JDM B18C-R swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vtec problem after JDM B18C-R swap.

Hi Guys,

I have the weirdest problem on a JDM B18C TypeR swap I just did on a EJ Civic 4 doors. (EK civic Euro Spec)

Well the problem is that the car idles at 1300 rpms even when warm and vtec will not engage, cel is off and motor keeps revving but vtec just dont engage ... you can go to red line if you want. Then if you turn the motor off and restart it for a couple of times, it will idle normally at 1000rpms and vtec will work fine!! it will continue to work perfectly no matter how long you drive it. Then when you leave it for a couple of hours off to cool down, it will start to idle high again and no vtec.

So far I've done :

Changed ECU with another JDM p73
Replaced Vtec solenoid
Checked wiring from ecu plug to engine wire harness plug
Replaced ECU coolant temp sensor
Replaced Map sensor
Checked TPS voltage, .5 v closed and 4.43 v open
Checked VSS plug
Replaced under hood fuse box ( because when I jumped the blue plug it gave me a code 20 which is ELD)

From some research I just done, some say to check for oil pan dents, oil pan is fine. Oil is filled to the upper point of dipstick with 5w40 oil (here in Malta it gets very hot) engine grounds are fine, cleaned them with sand paper while I was doing the swap.

What I am finding very weird is that it works bad, then you just restart it and works fine.... all of this is happening with the cel off. and yes it does work. When turning on the key it will light on and go off normally. any help please???

Thanks for taking the time to read this, your input will be greatly appreciated. Below I attached a pic of the motor installed.

[/URL]

Thanks,
Marlon

Last edited by Marlon88; 07-17-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vtec problem after JDM B18C-R swap.

If there are no codes present then it suggests a mechanical issue not electrical. Have you verified the solenoid clicks when 12v + is applied? Also have you checked the screen in the vtec sol housing? If clogged vtec wouldn't engage.

What I would try even though rather ghetto , is to hook up a switch to the solenoid and provide 12v+ manually while driving and see of vtec engages that way. If it does then it is in fact electrical. If it doesn't and you are 100% positive the solenoid clicks then its an oil pressure issue.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Vtec problem after JDM B18C-R swap.

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for your input. I changed the vtec solenoid with another one I had which I am 100% sure that it works.

Today I spliced a wire from the vtec solenoid and hooked up a 12v light bulb to it just to see if the ecu is sending a 12v+ to the vtec solenoid. The light bulb stayed off when the engine was experiencing the high idle and vtec no engaging symptom ... then after the usual switch off, switch on the motor, everything went to normal. And vtec started to engage and the light bulb was coming on. So I now know that the ecu is not sending any signal to the vtec solenoid when it doesn't engage. Because the light bulb was staying Off ... So it has to be an electrical issue! While I was at it, I took off the IACV and cleaned it and removed all paint to bare metal where grounds are hooked to chassis. So far I didn't have any luck!!