Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 09:18 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why???

WEll guys this is very sad story for me. I just bought this 96 ek silver hatch with 97 usdm gsr swap. Got compression done by mechanic 185 all four cylinders. Clean runs good. Until this Sunday,
My ek hatch is bone stock gsr motor with aem intake short ram, with obd 1 p72 chipped ecu. Im driving Sunday in the rain normally, all of sudden, my car shuts off. I was like what the expletive, The car started the bogging, I give it gas and it shuts off. I was able to restart but the car hesitates and dies again. So Monday, morning i barely drove it to shop to get it checked out. He diagnose and took my ecu, ecu was flooded with water, wtf???. Dizzy was fried. So he lets the ecu dry out in the sun, while i wait for the dizzy i ordered from New York. Im pretty pissed now since my car has been sitting in shop since MOnday morning. Finally got the dizzy in today, popped in car starts, but feels really slow, per Mechanic, noticeable loss in power. He test drives it back to shop and does compression test 1 and 2 cylinders are 125 compression wtf?? and the other 3 and 4 155. Mechanic calls me up and spread the bad news. I just bought this car with good gsr healthy motor and now i need rebuild. Here are pics of my ek hatch, which i was going to sell for good price, but decided to go na and rebuild the motor with itr pistons/itr valvetrain for daily driver. This really sucks, since it will cost me arm and leg. What do you guys think i should do rebuild?? or sell the whole car part it, i rather sell as whole for right price, has lots of goodies, but i love my ek hatch and rather keep it. Right now, hatch is sitting in shop, head is coming off tomorrow unless someone wants to take it away for good price. Does this make sense guys? My compression can drop significantly all of sudden and i dont even it rev it pass 6k since i own the hatch. Here are pics of it
My mechanic said he can do parts labor for around 2k with itr parts.
What would you honda guys do . Sorry about the grammar, im just down right now because i miss my hatch and may end up losing her,

I just dont understand how very little water can ruin my compression or could ever sneak in my engine and mess up the compression
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why??? (PnoyEj6)

hey bro i fell your pain i freshly built my lsvtec (and took out a loan) and have been battling with it to make it run. heres the list
distributor (failed due to msd)
clutch slave cyclinder and master cyclinder
axles and intermediate shafts
new tranny
radiators and fuel/exhaust leaks and alot more
and guess what i have to tear it all apart because its burns a quart of oil every couple days.
i feel you i was thinking of selling my **** but you know every time i get in my car wether im driving to work or for pleasure im so happy the car is everything i dreamed of. and plus when you spank the hell out of a new mustang gt that still has paper tags and the owner asks what you have done to it. yah i just say it a small four cyclinder! priceless and worth the effort

keep the car man youll miss it when it gone plus it very clean
Old 12-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why??? (redlsvtec4door)

try a different ecu and don't give up easily.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why??? (powerfulperformanc

Make sure you check everything before you sell it because you think the motors shot. I've seen/bought way too many cars that the owner said had a problem that it really didn't have. Just double check everything, then go from there.

Yager-
Old 12-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why??? (PnoyEj6)

Check the cam timing too. If one or both of the cams jumped time you can experience the low compression and lack of power that you describe
Old 12-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why??? (Super Chicken)

well this post is a little confusing to me....
first off why is your ecu all wet???
second, why you changing the valvetrain? especially if your strapped for cash
third, 2k for all type r internals installed is fairly decent i guess..
not the route i would go but...ek looks good/clean as fawk...
keep it and rebuild
Old 12-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why??? (sykotik sol)

skipped timing belt
Old 12-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

timing belt would be my guess as well.

and yah, how the heck did your ECU get wet? unless you're driving around with the windows open in the rain it should never get into the interior.

One other thing to worry about, the chipped ECU, what chip is in it? If it's seriously wrong things could have gotten ugly fast and melted things in the engine.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought us canadians only wear socks with there sandals. Dont give up check the timing belt and see if it jumped.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah check the timing belt before anything....i've seen way too many belts that are crazy loose and most likely end up skipping a couple teeth.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SB tuning)

Yeah, that sounds like bs. I have had water sucked in my motor with an aem cai intake. But at that moment I just kept punching the gas and by the miracle of god the water shot out and it drove like normal.

Did you check the carpet where the ecu is and see if it was wet?
I would also assume if you got a good amount of water in your motor the engine would give. Cause you cannot compress water.

Like the others said above you, check timing. Or even, try another distributor from a friend. Cause your symptoms sound like a bad distributor.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:59 PM

That's why I stick to the sohc stock d16 motor! lol!

nah, but yeah good luck with your car. it's nice!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

either way it doesnt matter because you just posted pics of your car on HT and you live in the bay area CAli so youre **** is probably gonna get stolen in like 48 hours anyways
Old 01-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why??? (Civic2Integra)

with 2k, why dont you just buy another gsr motor since they only go for a grand. that way you have a new motor that hasnt been broke
Old 01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Very very sad day for 96 ek hatch. Water may have gone through engine why??? (pennies_hatchie)

your ecu shouldnt have been full of water or soaked.

ive been through the car wash with my air on full blow on fresh(to bring in that bubblegum smellin car wash soap...lol

thats what happened! the soap got in! the pass floorboard was wet and bubbles fallin from the dash...crazy! car smells good though
Old 01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

since ur motors messed up u dont need the car any more u can give it to me .