Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible

I have an evil thought, I have access to a Turbo from my old SAAB 900 Turbo. Is there a way to modify it to work on my Prelude. Plumbing the turbo is no problem, got a friend that can do the pipes for me, and oil lines are no prob. I know the basics of turbo, but not sure about the Saabs turbo for drag. I think the rpm that it built its power would be to high, but lookin for info.

Prelude is for Drag Only, and looking for budget minded upgrades to get a few more HP out of it without going NOS. Not totally against NOS but how can I install NOS on a dual carb 1.8L engine that is in my Prelude (85)

I will be blocking the EGR tomorrow, and removing the power steering and A/C systems. Also have stripped the cars interior from it, and will be removing metal where possible. Will also be replacing the GLass with high Impact lexan.

I want every Free edge I can get, and will do what I can to reduce weight. Lexan is cheap, and easy to install.

Besides the EGR block off, and removal of the A/C and PS Pump. What else can I do to the engine to increase HP. I have built a custom air intake system to get cold air to the engine.

Any Info can and will help.

This Aint Yo Momma's Honda
Old 09-17-2002, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (Merlin1068)

you'll have fun fitting hte turbo if it is hte twin carb.

my solution was to fit a B16A!!!!

anywyas, remove all the weight, put a lexan sunroof in, cut 1inch off the big sprinfgs in hte carbies, crank the timing till it pings and remove hte air filter...

anyways,

t..
Old 09-17-2002, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (tinkerbell)

go to http://www.homemadeturbo.com

and bow down and worship me for giving the coolest site possible
Old 09-18-2002, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (splayed)

go to http://www.homemadeturbo.com

and bow down and worship me for giving the coolest site possible
Bah, there's no info on turbocharging a carb setup!

Old 09-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (splayed)

NICE WEBSITE MANG....
Old 09-19-2002, 02:10 PM
HT's Biggest Loser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH MY GODDDDDD.... if u want a drag car, buy a Jeff Gordon Pull Toy, and keep the prelude for geting to and from Toys R Us please, not to be a dick, but theres no hope for that car in the world of import racing, unless that is of course, theres an 85 prelude in the new Fast and Furious 2, then i give it about 3 weeks before everyone runs to the store to order stuff for it.. drag prelude = ...dual carb = ...
Old 09-19-2002, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (SIXTYdashONE)

OH MY GODDDDDD.... if u want a drag car, buy a Jeff Gordon Pull Toy, and keep the prelude for geting to and from Toys R Us please, not to be a dick, but theres no hope for that car in the world of import racing, unless that is of course, theres an 85 prelude in the new Fast and Furious 2, then i give it about 3 weeks before everyone runs to the store to order stuff for it.. drag prelude = ...dual carb = ...
wow can we say a$$hole? not all uf us can afford a new car, some people hafta make do with whatever.
Old 09-19-2002, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

grow up child

t..

PS i was modifying long before you started worshiping f&f
Old 09-19-2002, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (tinkerbell)

I got your point one time. Didnt need to send it 3 times. The car as is holds its own. Turbo is on hold for now, and a new intake has been installled. More weight has been removed.

As for wondering if someone approves of me using a Prelude with dual carbs for import drag, I DONT CARE WHAT THEY THINK. Here we are running for ET's so consistancy is the winning factor, not speed. I dont want a car to run 20 sec ETs but I dont care if I am only running 11s right now, its Consistantly running 11s

The car works, and was free, I use it while Im building my other cars for the strip. I Have Fun, and enjoy myself. Who cares if others dont like it, they can be dumb and point and laugh but Im the one getting down the track not the Posers looking and pointing.

I have other cars for drag besides rice burners, I have a 69 Torino Cobra, and a 57 Study Silver Hawk. Not to mention the Ford Truck. The Fords are Sportsman and the Silver Hawk is a Pro car.

Dont **** on someones parade, and dont waste space here if you dont have advice on helping. Takes a LOOSER to post that crap that was sent 3 times
Old 09-20-2002, 08:15 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

alrighty..........
Old 09-20-2002, 09:33 PM

And BTW A$$ I went and Entered a Sport Compact Drag Race, and well I have a Nice 2nd Place TROPHY So Hmm I dont think you understand drag racing do you. I Beat out Cars with MUCH MORE POWER and lots of bolt on goodies. Its not the car that wins races its the Driver.

Now if you want to bring your TOYS-R-US car you drive and see if you can run Your numbers better than I can run mine. Bring it on. Im not saying Im the best drag racer on the planet, but I did get second place with a car you said was A WASTE OF TIME for drag racing

No need to reply, I understand you are not more than a 20 year old livin on Moms pocket book. Dont be sore, some day you will get a job and buy your own car and race it.

I have spoke my peace, and I got my Trophy, next time I shall bring home another. Not because my car sucks, but becouse I do my best with what I have on hand.

Old 09-21-2002, 07:59 AM
HT's Biggest Loser

"No need to reply, I understand you are not more than a 20 year old livin on Moms pocket book. Dont be sore, some day you will get a job and buy your own car and race it."
Dude, i dont think you realize what your talkign about, How do u know who the **** i am, First off, im not 20 and my mother doesnt pay for ****, second of all, ill GLADLY race you anyway in my car (cause you know my numbers also?!?), i never said it wasnt cool to bracket race and be a consistent driver, all i said is dont liek yer car, and i dont think its any bit close to a drag racing platform..So stop tryin to change the subject, takin lowball shots at me, tellin me i live off of my parens when you know nothing about me or my car. Ive spent countless hours buying the RIGHT **** for the RIGHT car, and ive done it all on my own, and ive done pretty ****** good, and if you knew me or what i had you would say the same also, so dont open your mouth, your car means nothing to me, and neither does your driving abilities.. i honestly do not care, because you didnt help me get to where i am today, I DID...so get off it...

"Now if you want to bring your TOYS-R-US car you drive and see if you can run Your numbers better than I can run mine. Bring it on. Im not saying Im the best drag racer on the planet, but I did get second place with a car you said was A WASTE OF TIME for drag racing"
--------------
Well if i really wanted to, i could bring a car to an event and place also, if a car is slow enough, and i cut good rt's all day, illl win too, and i have, big woop, theres NO fun in racing a car that doesnt have excitement under its drivers ***, if the cars slower, of course u can win if yer consistent, Dude, you won second place, niccce, u want a pat on the back and a spot on geraldo now? take yer trophy and cherish it..

I spoke my peace also, and i have a few trophies also, cool, and guess what, we ALL do the best with what we have, and thats why my car does what it does, because i have done the best, and im only gonna get beter, so drop it, and stop talkin liek ive stolen yer pride or soemthin, get over it.... drop the post, because i really dont care what u think or drive, and if u want to prove to me that u realy dont care what u drive and yer proud of yerself, then get over it...
Old 09-21-2002, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (Prelude_RCR)

I believe the setup your looking for is a "Draw Through" design. Where the carburetor is plumbed into the turbo's compressor inlet. This setup sucks the air/fuel mixture into the cyclinders. The early Z cars used this setup and I've seen people using it up to 15-20psi.

Intercoolers are not usable in this kind of setup and a lot of people use water cooling for higher boost. The only other trick I read about were to use short piping in all your sections so the fuel mixture stays well mixed.

Props to you for taking an old school car down the 1/4 that quickly. I'd love to see how you did it. Carbs and old school cars are fun, my friend has an old datsun pickup with an L20b with dual sidedraft hitachi carbs and it screams.

Sleepers rule.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (pdx_accord)

I believe the setup your looking for is a "Draw Through" design. Where the carburetor is plumbed into the turbo's compressor inlet. This setup sucks the air/fuel mixture into the cyclinders. The early Z cars used this setup and I've seen people using it up to 15-20psi.

Intercoolers are not usable in this kind of setup and a lot of people use water cooling for higher boost. The only other trick I read about were to use short piping in all your sections so the fuel mixture stays well mixed.

Props to you for taking an old school car down the 1/4 that quickly. I'd love to see how you did it. Carbs and old school cars are fun, my friend has an old datsun pickup with an L20b with dual sidedraft hitachi carbs and it screams.

Sleepers rule.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (pdx_accord)

Whoops on the blank post..., yeah, use a drawthrough design where the carbs feed air into the turbo and then into the motor. The turbo will suck air through the carbs. You can plumb nitrous into the piping after the carbs and before the turbo. You *CAN* intercool a draw through design just not many people do 'cause you'd have fuel & nitrous in addition to air flowing thrugh the intercooler. If you ever backfire it would probably blow your intercooler up or off of the piping it's connected to.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I just had this conversation with my friend last night who is a VW nut and he is building an 11 sec ghia with a drawthrough design. He will be running an intercooler and nitrous as well.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2002, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (YumVTEC)

merlin was on an eighth guys. I was there.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Use of a SAAB Turbo in a Prelude ! ! Is it Possible (EF9_SiR)

The Guy I ran in Round 1 was a 99, I do remember that much. The rest well, hmm well they were cars that had at least 4 wheels, Im sure of that.

Im using some backwoods engineering on the car now, and it works. Now I only admit to this cuz its funny, but works. EF9_SiR can vouch that It seems to work.

I am using a 12v ducting fan meant to be used to push out fuel vapors from a Boats Engine compartment. This gives a Positive pressure of air going into the carbs. It was cut into the factory plumbing for the intake. I have also stripped the passenger side headlight housing. I have mounted a collector funnel there from another car (ford) so that the air comes direct from the front of the car.

This boost in air pressure going to the carbs and has taken 3 tenths off my times. It is setup to a toggle switch that engages the fan when I need it. I need to add some sort of timing retard control. I notice a bit of a increase of rpms after the first pass.

I have noticed also that as the engine heats up the times increase. Example 11.4 first run, 11.5 second run, 11.6 third run and those are back to back runs. I normally let the car sit for 20 mins or so between runs. I have since flushed the cooling system with water, then filled with water and a Cleaner used for cooling systems. Then flushed to clear, and refilled with correct coolant to water mix. Before it had a nice tint of orange to the water only in the system. This should help the above problem.

Another Point to look at, Exhaust, I am still on stock exhaust, I am going to chop the muffler off, the car has no cat but only a resonator. I will leave it on for now, but want to know if running a short strait pipe will work. Edelbrock sells a header kit and racing downpipe that is quite short. If that will work on most newer engines why shouldnt this work on mine. I will make a short pipe from the factory header, since nobody makes headers for my car.

EF9_SiR I look forward to running again in 2 weeks. Lets see if we can get us some more victems err uhh drivers to run with us in the next event. I didnt see ya after the Finals, ya left me. My Mechanic finally showed up, so I wasnt totally alone. Ya know they didnt want to give me the trophy at first.

Anyone in the Charleston Area, I invite you to show up and run with us. Please look at the website for Cooper River Dragway and check the schedule for events. http://www.crdragway.com I believe that is correct but if not let me know.

How the Hell do I get out of Trial User and get into regular user so I can use the IM here. It angers me to get a popup saying I dont have permis to use IMs

Old 09-23-2002, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought i said I was leaving after i broke out? well if not, Im sorry. I should be there in two weeks if i can get off work. Its about that time for a motor swap in my car. Im going to email you about some ****. Ill talk to you later though. Peace.