Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update* 92 vx / 95 b18c1... Now more problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update* 92 vx / 95 b18c1... Now more problems!

I have posted on here numerous times about my car... The motor never stops giving me trouble. Anyways, I dissassembled the head and block and I have put it back together with new gaskets, piston rings, cleaned all the carbon buildup on the pistons, manifolds, etc... and pieced it back together. Readjusted the valves, new timing belt, new battery AGAIn...... Well, I have more problems now

I tried starting the car after I put it all together, and it wouldnt crank... I figured the battery needed charging because it was sitting for so long... So, I push started the car and let it idle for about 10 minutes.... NO MORE EXTRA FUEL!!!!!!!!!! I finally got the exhaust to push a stoic mixture.... Thanks to vtec villian for helping with the o2 wiring. But, now I have problems again... I took it for a spin after idling and as soon as I press the gas pedal, it hesitates tremendously like the tps is bad again (I replaced the tps not too long ago because it was faulty and caused frequent hesitation)... But, if I just give it some gas at idle it goes through the rpms awkwardly from 1k - 1200 than jumps to 2k than I press the gas some more and it backs down 1500 and then up to 3k.... Its weird, but thats what it does... Also, when I took the car around the block I had to constantly give it gas so it wouldn't stall out (remember it didnt start)... I got back home and tried to let it idle in the drive way and it just stalled..... So, before I ever pressed the gas pedal, it would idle fine, but as soon as I gave it gas, it just goes down to 1k rpms and then lower until it stalls... any help? Could the timing be off? I never shot the timing but we did a good job of aligning the cams and so forth...

If you could help I would appreciate it.. I am so close to having a drivable vehicle again.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Update* 92 vx / 95 b18c1... Now more problems! (Undrgrndhaqer)

it sounds like a timing/ignition or fuel problem. Make sure your ground are good. Recheck your cam and ignition timing. The car only does it under it is under load or at idle too?
Old 01-09-2004, 01:24 PM

it stalls, of course, only when no gas is being given.... so i could be coasting and let off the gas and it will stall.... and you didnt really narrow the options down... haha but thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (Undrgrndhaqer)

hmm i hope u know u cant just put the tbs sensor in an expect it to work right..you have to get the right voltage at idle and at WOT..check ur plugs, cap and rotor and give us info on that..
Old 01-11-2004, 05:03 PM

sorry but I don't understand what you mean by right voltage... how would you check that and what does the plugs, cap, rotor, etc. have to do with it? I am going to shoot my timing tomorrow (Monday) and see if that is the problem... but, I knew that the tps sensor has adjustments, but I didn't know about voltage and how to adjust it... thnx
Old 01-11-2004, 06:30 PM

Crank timing
Old 01-12-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Re: (Devlins 91LS)

make sure your tps and map sensor connectors are swapped backwards with each other.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

TPS voltage .5 closed: 4.5 wot
Old 01-12-2004, 03:00 PM

Maybe if I explain the situation and symptoms, it will be easier for others to diagnose it.. I start the car, and it idles fine at 1k rpms. Exhaust shows no sign of smoke at all.... Motor is quiet, and timing is adjusted perfectly
Now, when the car idles for a little while (warming up) then white smoke starts to come out of the exhaust... Very little at about 5 minutes... by 10 minutes, a noticable amount of white smoke comes out of the exhaust and when depressing the gas pedal, the motor chokes for air and after letting off the gas pedal, the motor comes very close to stalling... Also, when pressing the gas or flipping the throttle quick, the air filter chokes and the motor hesitates, therefore leaving it undrivable because if I was to take it somewhere like on the highway, it would choke and stall.... Everything checks out fine, the ECU doesnt throw any codes except for code 1 which is o2 but that has been fixed awhile ago..... Any suggestions or ideas? I checked all vaccum lines and wire plugs... Everything is where it needs to be... Any ideas?
Thanks
P.S. there is no air intake, the filter just sits on the throttle body, BUT the car ran fine with it like that for about a month before it had other issues and ended up being dissassembed, so I don't see how that would be affiliated with problems occuring now even though the throttle chokes.... I was thinking about spraying carb cleaner into the throttle body and see if that does anything....
Old 01-15-2004, 04:27 PM

drove the car today and works alright, only when I get on the gas for instance to get into traffic on the highway, it bogs down before it picks up... And when it picks up, there is a very reduced sense of power... I let vtec engage and you can definitely hear it, but there is no extra power felt.... So, it drive alright except for an extreme loss in power and bogging when leaving an idle position (stop sign, traffic light, etc.)

any ideas? Everything is hooked up so it might be maybe fuel pressure or maybe a backwards vaccum line... Any guesses?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your fuel pressure for sure, compression test the engine also if possible. The bogging then pick up sounds like symptoms of a bad or non-functioning O2 sensor to me. Try to switch to another known good ECU, another O2. Also definitely check all vacuum hoses, and take care of any CEL's if there are any being thrown.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:13 PM

there is one cell that is going off, code 1... I know its o2, but when I did the rewiring for the o2 I also replaced the o2 itself.. So, I don't see how the o2 could have gone bad... Also, since installing the o2 the fuel problem has seized to exist. The vaccum lines I have checked, they are dotted with colored marker to match... Also, the sensor seem to be working b/c the only code is a code 1.

So, I guess I'll try the fuel pressure and let you guys know