Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question.

Okay guys...I've been -ing myself trying to figure out what to do next with the hybrid.

All Motor = respect

Well...I was discussing this with someone last night and I said, "well staying NA will gain more respect...it's more impressive." He said, "you gain respect by WINNING."

Good point. A basic turbo kit running a conservative 8 psi on stock compression/bottom end will get me in the 12's on slicks fairly easily.

I guess I just want to get a good discussion going of why I should go turbo OR stay NA on my B18C1 hybrid.

As far as the ITR...well, I honestly think that it was made to stay NA. I don't ever plan on going FI with it. It'll stay stock for now.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question. (Yellow Dragon)

I know just what youre going through...I went through the same "phase"

My final determining factor was not which gains more respect..but what is more reliable. I know FI can be just as reliable as NA...but it takes more preventive measures.

Speed is also a big factor..how fast do you really wanna go..and secondly..how much do you wanna spend? If you take say $3000 and put the same amount in FI vs NA...FI is going to be much faster for the same amount spent...but at the cost of reliability and peace of mind...its all a trade off.

And then comes the part of respect..or better yet...bragging rights

For example..my friend has a GS-T Eclipse...basically stock with an aftermarket intake..stock it pushes 12 psi out of the 2.0 motor.
I raced him..and whooped his ***...and what do I say to him?

"Thats pretty weak man...same size engines (2.0) but you have 12 pounds of boost and I still whoop your ***" Haha...get the picture?

Now if I had a turbo also...then of course he could use the excuse that I have one also..but its so much more fun kicking his *** N/A
Old 06-08-2001, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question. (HX_Guy)

You bring up some good points HX_Guy.

I would love to stay NA, but I really would like to get into the 12's. I don't think I can do that with the same amount of $$. < $3k.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heh...12s in any form is respectable..and if youre trying to do it for $3000 or less...FI is definately going to be your ticket there.
Old 06-08-2001, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...plus...how can you not love all the awsome sounds of a turbo..and the phat intercooler up front! SICK!
Old 06-08-2001, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

JRSC running 8 psi and tuning
Old 06-08-2001, 09:45 AM
New User

Default Re: To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question. (FUCATYPR)

N/A is for people who can not afford a Turbo! :D

Just kidding. It is just funny to see everyone screaming at the street races "I am going NA!" Yet, all they have is an I/H/E. If you are contimplating turbo, then I am guessing you plan on going further than that. So that is cool.

A couple things you have to ask yourself is, A)How fast do I really want to go, and B)How much do I want to spend.

If you want to go fast for less, go turbo. If you are looking to stay cheap and just get a nice quick car, go NA.

One thing that stirkes me as funny is the reliability issue. Everyone brings it up when they speak of turbos. However, no one mentions it when it comes to a built NA car. When you start to build a good NA car, you can decrease driveability and dependability drastically. Raising compression to 11:1, crazy grind cams, p&p of the head, stroker kits, raising the redline, all of these will causes more wear and tear on your engine. That is just one more thing to think about.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question. (Big James)

If you wanna stay cheap go NA? How do you figure that? NA costs more than FI does..at least to go the same speed...

When I think of NA...I dont think of I/H/E...I consider that a stock engine. NA is like you said...cams, higher compressions, worked head..stuff like that.

Now reliabilty and drivability are two differnet things. The way I look at it..say you get some crazy cams right...cams wont have any bad effects on the engine..now drivabilty..thats a different issue..with the car loping and idling at 1200.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:22 AM
New User

If you noticed, I said cheap and relatively quick. If you want to go fast NA, then you are spending some serious bucks. I was basically comparing it to turbo as far as price. You can relatively cheaply turbo your car and go fast, you spend the same on your NA motor and your are quick. Understand what I mean?

Driveability and reliability are two completely different things. True. The reason i put the two together is because they are the two main factors people look at on a street driven car.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:34 AM

NOS is cheaper than a turbo, which is cheaper than N/A... just a thought .
Old 06-08-2001, 01:05 PM
New User

Default Re: To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question. (raeneshadow)

How about a complete R valvetrain and cams, a drag turbo or whatever you're thinking of using, and an 80 shot to spool er up???

At least you'll still have the R for reliability.

[Modified by cheezemaster, 2:07 PM 6/8/2001]
Old 06-09-2001, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default not to turbo

I'm N/A and runnin on a fully built head with exception of cams. I ran out of $$$ but I'm still gettin em. Right now I run 14.2 here and that equates to 13.2 at sea level. Now I've got a 94 hatch gutted, really gutted. I'm going out today to run again this time with 555's to see if I can get into the 13's. If so then I have a 12 sec car at sea level and all is good. I'll let you know how it turns out. Needless to say that I have spent more than I wanted to on this engine and I know that going FI would have been easier and less expensive, but when I beat the turbos here it's just sooooo much more of a reward to say I did it N/A!!!
Old 06-09-2001, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: not to turbo (advanracing62)

I would much rather preffer your hybrid, over my turbo'd rs. Peace of mind
Old 06-11-2001, 08:14 PM
New User

If the hybrid was your only car, I'd say stay NA for reliability. But since you already have an ITR, I'd say knock yourself out with the turbo.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:57 PM
New User

Default Re: To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question. (Jay24)

Go turbo!! They sound cool, intercoolers are sweet and 12's all day long. I'm saving up for mines!!
Old 06-13-2001, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question. (Civic GS-Rcx)

I think you should build up the hybrid with stuff that will work with turbo but still give you gains that you can enjoy while in the process. thats what I'm doing cuz I dont feel like spending $3500 all in one shot for just a turbo kit. So I'm gettin a Skunk2 manifold, R cams and valvetrain, Aftermarket Clutch, LSD, get the picture? Then throw the turbo on and have a ball!!
Old 06-13-2001, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question. (4drGSR)

spoil yourelf....get a turbo....you;ll need one of these before you drive it too...
Old 06-14-2001, 12:03 AM
New User

Default Re: To turbo or not to turbo...that is the question. (Slow_ass_4dr)

1st of all please dont do a JRSC I have seen nothing but bad thing's happen when people do those god awful POS charger's JMHO. Go turbo I am staying N/A and yes I have more than a I/H/E combo going for me I have an R motor which is why I want to stay N/A.

Advanracing-when did you run 14.2. Christian told me you ran a 14.9 well whatever.