Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshoot my Project - Win a Prize! All I want for Christmas is my car on the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshoot my Project - Win a Prize! All I want for Christmas is my car on the road

All I want for Christmas is for my GSR swap project that's spanned over 6 months of discouragement, head banging and funds being dried up to run right. With what I have in store, I'm sure you'll want my project to run too.

The lowdown - About 6 months ago I started fishing for a project idea that would give me a reliable car, good gas milage that had some power to it. Sadly, the car not coming to life has left me with none of those three options and has also resulted in me having to take Fall semester off from not having a means of transportation to move to Nor-Cal with.

Hopefully, whatever items I have left over can be enough bribery to get someone else to figure out what's wrong and help me get this car on the road.

Car : 1993 Civic EX 2-door Coupe, 5-speed
Powerplant : 1995 Integra GSR Block paired with a 1999 GSR head + transmission. 1993 Civic EX Wire Harness soldered and modified to fit the GSR engine + swapped Fuel Injectors from an OBD1 EX engine to match the harness.
Parts missing : Intake Air Temperature sensor, Knock sensor, 02 sensor. I was told by more than three reputable sources that the car should start without these sensors hooked up, that it just wouldn't run as well.
ECU : OBD1 GSR 5-speed USDM ECU

Notes : Did most of the work myself. Had help from a few friends with pulling out the original EX motor, and pulling the GSR motor back out when I forgot to hook up the rear mount bracket. The few nags I came across were: The exhaust manifold didn't fit into the stock Civic exhaust piping. I busted the distributor cap with the chain I had hooked to the motor. I also lost most of the bolts and nuts to my brake system. I removed my brake system ignorantly not knowing you didn't have to remove the calipers in order to remove the axles. This was my first swap so I was a bit sloppy. I've also had to have the battery recharged at Autozone almost 6 times already from trying to start the motor at every maintenance checkpoint trying to cover up loose ends.

Typerman2001 (The person who sold me the motor) is willing to ship me out an Intake Air Temperature sensor but we've been so hit/miss with our communication over the past few months I don't even know if he still has the sensor anymore.

At one point, I thought maybe he sold me a bunk motor. The truth is, after hearing it crank but not turn over, I still believe it's an electrical problem because the motor sounds like it has good compression. I had a mechanic come by to take a look but I didn't really have any money to pay him for any work, so all I got was a look/glance. He said the motor sounds healthy and it wants to start but something is going wrong with spark/fuel matching.

I did the timing, TDC, matched the camgears. It was a major pain in the *** and I've actually had to do it a couple times already because for some reason everytime I look the timing is off again. The crank is virgin-tight, won't move even a slight fragment of a centimeter so I know the crank isn't screwed.

I'm really at my will's end, so I'm willing to give three items, all worth over 50$ to the first three people that can come up with workable solutions that get the motor started. I assure you, it's nothing simple. I know for a fact it's something that'll take a few hours to figure out, and I know the items I'm offering aren't exactly big grabs but they're definitely worth selling and I am just mostly looking for compassion and a generous mechanic that knows Honda engines like the back of his hand.

That being said, here's what's up for grabs:

1998-2001 Integra GSR Black 2-door REAR seats, leather, probably 95% condition, almost near perfect with one VERY small hole on an unseen part of the cushion.

1994-1997 Integra LS/GS Grey Leather 4-door Rear seats, probably 80-85% condition. Fits in EJ1's, also have the extra side cushions.

OBD2A (1999) Integra GSR 5-speed wire harness with every plug/sensor wire. The only problem with the harness is cracked fuel injector plugs, a very easy fix.

The harness is first place, 98-01 seats second place, 94-97 seats are third place. I will pay for shipping for whoever can help me.

Anyone in San Diego willing to drive to where I live, (El Centro) fix the problem, will get all three items + reimbursement for gas + food for the entire trip + a 6 pack of beer.

Image 1
-This is where you can see the fuel lines hooked up, also at the bottom of the page, harder to notice, is the thermostat ground.

Image 2
-Correct firing order, replaced distributor cap + new dizzy from Distributor Kings

Image 3
-Transmission housing ground

Image 4
-Valve cover ground + Power steering line blocked. You can see the plastic guard for the cam gears sticking out because of my urgency to see if the timing fixed would solve the problem. I'll most likely re-install the guard but for what reason really? I will most likely have to reset the timing again.

Image 5
-Closer shot of the cam gears visible through the open guard. You can see also that the white chalk mark on the cam gear isn't matched on the other side, or it may still be since the opposite cam might have it above the plastic. I'll recheck timing when I get a few people trying to figure out the problem.

Image 6
-The other side of the fuel line, just showing you every corner stone was met.

Image 7
-The harness hooked up on driver's side + the power steering cable hanging loose, will most likely ziptie it somewhere like I did the power steering fan line.

Image 8
-The 02 sensor plug, which I can't connect because I left my EX O2 sensor on the exhust manifold when I sold the motor and Typerman2001 didn't include the 02 sensor with the stock GSR manifold.

Image 9
-Replaced the terminal plugs with brand new ones, also cut off the corroded part of the power/negative lines. That's also a band new Duralast battery, which I've had to have recharged numerous times. (Without the engine running, it's impossible to recharge the battery myself)

Image 10
- Please help me get this car on the road guys! All I want for Christmas is to not feel like I wasted 7,000+ dollars on a project I might have to sell for less than half that initial investment because I can't get it on the road.

I know with Holidays coming up, most of you mechanics are busy but I really want to see this car on the road. I'm a grown *** man near tears with how unsuccessful this project has been. Dropping out of school, breaking up with my girl, moving back in with my mom and having my car not start on top of all that. I really don't feel like I can be any more of a loser at this point. Getting this car going... Will just be a ******' answer from a God I long ago forgot and hardly believe exists.

Pictures of the prizes available in short time.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Troubleshoot my Project - Win a Prize! All I want for Christmas is my car on the road (Essenar8

sent you a pm
Old 12-03-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Troubleshoot my Project - Win a Prize! All I want for Christmas is my car on the road (Essenar8

bump for someone to help him with his problem
Old 12-03-2006, 10:42 PM

I appreciate bumps and any suggestions some have given:

TPS and Map Sensor plugs might be opposite.

Same for IAT Sensor and another. (Suggested by LudeSH)

Checking the fuel system (I have checked the fuel pressure via the cylinder where the pressure regulator connects and pressure was fine. I was thinking of checking the fuel injectors themselves) (Suggested by Carbonyl)

Getting this car on the road, will be a lifesaver for me.

My girl broke up with me, I dropped out of school, I had to move back in with my mom and my medical insurance expired this week so now I can't get my dental work done. On top of all this, I got fired from Sears a month ago. Being unemployed, not enrolled, single and living with my mom, I ****** feel like ****. I really need to get this car moving so I can move out of my house for good and get my life together.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:32 PM

bump for other people to see
Old 12-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whoa, bump for you.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:08 AM

The two sensors near my throttle body, well, one is long enough to reach the top of the throttle body, the other isn't.

This might be due to the harness being from a 93 EX Civic rather than an integra GSR.

I'm going to try extending the sensor plug cables by soldering again. After that I'll see if it solves the problem.

I can't check if my ECU is getting power because my ECU is throwing codes for the missing sensors. No doubtedly my O2, Knock and IAT sensor throwing those codes.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:32 AM

What tools will I need for the following:

I want to take out my fuel tank and clean it out, I want to bleed my fuel lines of any old fuel. I also want to check the power on all my fuel/spark/ignition system, but I want to know what tools I'll need to get into the deep parts of it.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does it have spark? and does the car have gas in it?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridpatient95)

first off damn dude...i know the feeling!!!!

second lets get that car running......

Ok ur EX harness will work just fine only thing is your secondarys won't be hooked up on the GSR manifold unless you wired those directly to the ECU or if that was what you ment by "modified" EX harness.

Your EX injectors just so you know will work to start and run your car but you really need to get some GSR or 2000 SI injectors....I say stick with some OBD1 GSR's to keep it simple...reason being that your motor will ping without enough fuel. The EX injectors are smaller than GSR

Basic trouble shooting when doing a swap....Your car needs 4 things to start Compression, combustion, fuel and air....if its not starting its not doing one of those.

Get your key and turn you ignition to the ON position....2nd click.....listen carefully for your fuel pump, it should whine for a few seconds then click off. If you don't hear that pump then you need figure out why its not priming.

If you do hear it then cool...Check to make sure your dizzy is actually creating a spark. Can be a brand new dizzy but still not spark. Have a friend turn over the car and hold one of the plug wire ends(part that connects to the spark plug) to the PS pump ground wire....you should see it arc if you have spark...look close.

If you are getting spark and fuel....9 times out of 10 its a sensor hooked up wrong...so go to the 92-00 civic forum and check how to check your CEL (check engine light)...you may have more then just the 3 sensors you spoke of not working proporly.

AND don't get complacient just cause you think something should be good...Check all those fuses and check the main relay with one that is known to be working proporly....POST up any info you can man 6 months is far to long for a GSR to be off the streets

Crap I just thought since you've had so much down time your gas might be bad...get like 2 gallons of 93 in ur tank just to get some fresh gas in there. Sorry for the spelling mistakes its late and finals week!!!

Also I've hooked up my TPS and MAP backwards and it will start just run like CRAP, thats not to say it will all the timet though....The IAT and that emissions sensor can be hooked up backwards too and it will start.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WhiteNess)

OH check the ground on the thermostat housing...forgot that bitch one time couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong!!!! screw it down tight!!!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WhiteNess)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteNess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first off damn dude...i know the feeling!!!!

second lets get that car running......

Ok ur EX harness will work just fine only thing is your secondarys won't be hooked up on the GSR manifold unless you wired those directly to the ECU or if that was what you ment by "modified" EX harness.

Your EX injectors just so you know will work to start and run your car but you really need to get some GSR or 2000 SI injectors....I say stick with some OBD1 GSR's to keep it simple...reason being that your motor will ping without enough fuel. The EX injectors are smaller than GSR

Basic trouble shooting when doing a swap....Your car needs 4 things to start Compression, combustion, fuel and air....if its not starting its not doing one of those.

Get your key and turn you ignition to the ON position....2nd click.....listen carefully for your fuel pump, it should whine for a few seconds then click off. If you don't hear that pump then you need figure out why its not priming.

If you do hear it then cool...Check to make sure your dizzy is actually creating a spark. Can be a brand new dizzy but still not spark. Have a friend turn over the car and hold one of the plug wire ends(part that connects to the spark plug) to the PS pump ground wire....you should see it arc if you have spark...look close.

If you are getting spark and fuel....9 times out of 10 its a sensor hooked up wrong...so go to the 92-00 civic forum and check how to check your CEL (check engine light)...you may have more then just the 3 sensors you spoke of not working proporly.

AND don't get complacient just cause you think something should be good...Check all those fuses and check the main relay with one that is known to be working proporly....POST up any info you can man 6 months is far to long for a GSR to be off the streets

Crap I just thought since you've had so much down time your gas might be bad...get like 2 gallons of 93 in ur tank just to get some fresh gas in there. Sorry for the spelling mistakes its late and finals week!!!

Also I've hooked up my TPS and MAP backwards and it will start just run like CRAP, thats not to say it will all the timet though....The IAT and that emissions sensor can be hooked up backwards too and it will start.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong all honda injectors are the same size buddy 240cc unless he got obd1 vtec prelude then there 345cc

check all your fuses. go into the fuse box inside the engine bay and look at the ecu fuse see if thats blown. if thats fine look under the dash board for the ACC fuse, it should be the one next to the SRS one. those 2 fuses can keep you from getting spark and the fuel pump priming

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteNess &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OH check the ground on the thermostat housing...forgot that bitch one time couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong!!!! screw it down tight!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE> if you look at one of the pictures the thermostat ground is hooked up. good try tho lol
Old 12-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why did you have to RE time it..??? also im willing to put a lot of money on it.. IT is OUT OF TIME.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright....bro.....not all honda injectors are the same...single cam injectors are like 180's..... b16's and gsr's are like 240's or 260's....

And I'm on a sidekick so not all of the pics loaded.....sorry I didn't spot that thermostat ground....

Anyways....updates dude???
Old 12-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

who told you that? all honda injectors are 240cc injectors.... search it only prelude injectors range from 290-345 i know your wrong because the word LIKE is used
Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM

i think all honda injectors are 240cc with the exception of the prelude which is 270 for the base, 290 for the SH and 345 for the older models 92-96, which is peak hold
Old 12-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carbonyl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think all honda injectors are 240cc with the exception of the prelude which is 270 for the base, 290 for the SH and 345 for the older models 92-96, which is peak hold</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you
Old 12-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From just reading what you have stated, i am going to gues it has something to do with timing. You have said, that you have re-set the timing belt numerous times, but if done correctly, you should only have to do it once. If the timing keeps changing, you might have a loose belt. You said that it is tight, so possibly maybe the belt is missing like three or four teeth in a row, that would cases it to slip and timing gets thrown off again. Pull at least that top timing belt cover off if you could, i think that it would make it a little easier to check and make sure everything is o.k.. These are just some guesses. Does the car even sound like it "wants" to start? Or is there just nothing at all. Good luck
Old 12-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got me....ohhh wait.............................................. .

http://www.robietherobot.com/s...e.htm

Yea the injectors he is using are 240's...and my bad Essenar83 I got my info mixed up, i've read b4 that d15 and d16's all used lower CC injectors. BUT it clearly states that 96-00 cx,dx, and lx injectors are 190cc.

My intentions were only to keep his motor from pinging (how mine did when I had single cam injectors on it), not start some thread whoring post war about injector sizes with people who are LIKE trying to 1 up someone cause they have no useful info pertaining to the original posters problem....Like u know what I mean ....bro?

Now squash all this side **** ...any updates....check your timing correctly yet???
Old 12-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you say it cranks but doesn't turn over?

i have a couple of questions...

did you put the motor together?
was a valve adjustment done?
do you get spark?
what's your fuel pressure or do you even have any fuel pressure?
all your grounds are on and tight? tranny, thermostat, valvecover?
also get a different battery if it doesn't hold a charge.

If none of those help then I'll try to think of more things. Good luck and keep your head up bro
Old 12-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

word. i was trying to get your facts straight. not bashing you

and umm check your timing and check those fuses that i mentioned before. those 2 fuses can keep your car from starting and cause major headaches. i know they did that for me before.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Essenar83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The two sensors near my throttle body, well, one is long enough to reach the top of the throttle body, the other isn't.

This might be due to the harness being from a 93 EX Civic rather than an integra GSR.

I'm going to try extending the sensor plug cables by soldering again. After that I'll see if it solves the problem.

I can't check if my ECU is getting power because my ECU is throwing codes for the missing sensors. No doubtedly my O2, Knock and IAT sensor throwing those codes.</TD></TR></TABLE>To bad i dont live there,i would have your car running within a day or two.What you need to do is find someone that does custom wiring harness's for these swaps.I bet you its all wiring related.Also i would reposition the ground that is on the valvecover (not a good spot).I see this alot where i live.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 PM

Tomorrow I get some extra money so I can try to rent out some tools from Autozone (Free with deposit to borrow).

Here's what I plan on doing:

Pulling out my gas tank and cleaning it out. Extending my sensor wires so I can try swapping out the TPS/Whatever sensor to see if they might be backwards.
Checking my timing belt to see if it's loose or tight. I'm wondering if maybe the timing belt is a little worn. I think I can see the teeth on the other side of the belt.

Is there anyway I can clean out the fuel lines when I clean out the tank so I can make sure the lines are ready for clean fuel?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Essenar83)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Essenar83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tomorrow I get some extra money so I can try to rent out some tools from Autozone (Free with deposit to borrow).

Here's what I plan on doing:

Pulling out my gas tank and cleaning it out. Extending my sensor wires so I can try swapping out the TPS/Whatever sensor to see if they might be backwards.
Checking my timing belt to see if it's loose or tight. I'm wondering if maybe the timing belt is a little worn. I think I can see the teeth on the other side of the belt.

Is there anyway I can clean out the fuel lines when I clean out the tank so I can make sure the lines are ready for clean fuel?</TD></TR></TABLE>

why are you gonna do all that work. take of a the return line of the fuel pressure regulator and prime the car if gas comes out then its good.

im telling you man check the fuses. your just doing all this work for nothing.
you need to check the little stuff before you start pullin out random stuff
Old 12-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridpatient95)

^^^ Hes right

Quick Reply: Troubleshoot my Project - Win a Prize! All I want for Christmas is my car on the road