Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TOOLS for EG SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOOLS for EG SWAP

One of the most important things one may need when performing a swap can be the proper tools. Maybe there should be a thread or even a forum on what tools you will need to perform an engine swap. Anyway, my question is concerning the b18c1 and h22a. Im trying to weigh out which swap to perform in terms of difficulty+time. Wiring is not a problem, that aside, first of all how long will each swap take? And second exactly what tools will i need to perform the b18c1 into eg(95ex) swap from start to finish? For those how know about the H22a into eg(95ex), what tools are needed for that swap from start to finish? This will assist in my decision between the two swaps, and ultimately, it will help others decide which swap to perform and how realistic they will be.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: TOOLS for EG SWAP (HondAcura)

Tools you need for H22 and not B series are:
Saw to cut part of tranny bracket for motor mount out, as well as cutting hole for the shifter.
Drill and bit (don't remember exactly what size), to redrill pilot hole on tranny bracket to hold motor mount.
Autotensioner tool for timing belt install. (or h23 manual tensioner conversion that I HIGHLY recommend)

For both:
Axle Nut socket
Cherry picker
many ratchets
socket set
assorted wrenches + screwdrivers
ball joint seperator
Soldering Iron or other wiring tools.
Spare wire
Breaker bar

That can't be it, but all I can think of now.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TOOLS for EG SWAP (IHateJDM)

Hey thanks. By the way looks as if youve done the swap yourself. How do you like it compared to a B18c1? if you had to chose again would you do the same swap? is this a swap you would feel comfortable driving with your girl in? Im trying to get a final true comparison before i purchase the swap H22a vs B18c.(factor in reliability as well)

overall cost:
b18c1~3300(after everything)
H22a~???

Im getting off topic a little, youll also need:
Hasport mounts
steel braided clutch line

why is it said that this swap is so difficult?
I heard h22a can take less than a day to swap into eg
Old 04-28-2005, 05:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: TOOLS for EG SWAP (HondAcura)

My girl rides with me all the time. She's more concerned with the noise than anything, and that is more exhaust than motor anyways. She does get scared if I floor it and the front end starts hopping, lol. But anyways, the H is just as reliable as the b, and I do really enjoy it. For an experienced mechanic, the H swap would probably only take about an hour or so longer than a B, and can be done in one day if you know what you are doing and have all the tools. The swap is difficult because you have to chop up some pieces on the car, and it is a tight squeeze. I think it's well worth it in the end though. At least for me. I spent a little less than $4k dropping it in. I'm running 13.8 in a del sol with full interior on bald es100's right now, and I don't think the GSR could pull that off. Do what you want, but the H is fun .
Old 04-28-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: TOOLS for EG SWAP (IHateJDM)

sawzall

I think my girlfriend kinda hates my car. I think its kinda loud for her (mostly because I have no resonator). also drivetrain lash can be a bitch before you learn to be gentle with the throttle. she seems to like it when I smoke ricers and rednecks though. who cares what she thinks anyway.

motor swap or not, you've gotta be pretty secure with yourself to be comfortable driving an EG, if you know what I mean. It's not exactly a chick magnet