Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tokico Illumina's + Ground Control coilovers, cheap alternative to threaded body!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico Illumina's + Ground Control coilovers, cheap alternative to threaded body!?

Ok, well I am currently using Tokico Illumina's, with Ground control coilovers (475 front, 350 rear). I was originally interested in Tein's however the SS coilovers seemed too soft, and the next step up was too stiff for what I am looking for on the street. I am wondering of all of the setups using a coilover sleeve and a strut, what is recommended,... who is having success with what setups?

Do you recommend Koni adjustables or KYB's over the Tokico's? I ask because I have only tried the Tokico's, a friend has the Koni yellows which are actually quite nice. Ground Control recommended Tokico so that's what I bought, I like them, just nothing really to compare them to!
Old 09-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tokico Illumina's + Ground Control coilovers, cheap alternative to threaded body!? (Hondaddict)

I don't know what my friend had on his civic, but they were tein coilovers, and he said my setup was a lot nicer than his: better handling, better ride quality, and was cheaper Then again, I have upgraded sway bars, and he didn't, which is probably why mine handled better than his
Old 09-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tokico Illumina's + Ground Control coilovers, cheap alternative to threaded body!? (Hondaddict)

Why not go with custom rate Eibach Racing Springs for whatever end you want to stiffen up a little more (the rear, right?)? I have Tokico Illumina's with Ground Control Coilovers for my '90 GS, though I only have one pair of ERSsprings (7x2.5x450lb-in for the fronts); need to get a 7x2.5x500-550 ERS pair for the rear.

Going to KYB from Tokico would be a downgrade...
Old 09-30-2003, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Tokico Illumina's + Ground Control coilovers, cheap alternative to threaded body!? (Vracer111)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vracer111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Going to KYB from Tokico would be a downgrade...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I personally like the kyb's and will be running them on my new STS car. I don't consider them inferior to tokicos or konis unless you need to run spring rates above the kyb's abilities which I know can handle at least 450lb from personal experience.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Tokico Illumina's + Ground Control coilovers, cheap alternative to threaded body!? (ryan12321)

Do any of you have experience with any of the high dollar setups, such as Tein, JIC, or advance design?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:06 PM

You're fine for the street and for AXing. Don't sweat it.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Tokico Illumina's + Ground Control coilovers, cheap alternative to threaded body!? (bulldog_RS20

Ok, so then the consensus is that they are OK, so what's better,... and why, if you know that is!

Will the Tokico's not be ok if I increase spring rates?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At TwinCam, we mostly recommend GC's/Tokico's for people willing to pay for a good spring/shock combo. Most of our customers are extremely happy with them.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Tein SS on my 92 Civic VX. I have went through nearly every major strut and spring brand combo and the Tein's are by far the best setup I've had. The dampening adjustment range is broad enough for street and track use and the springs aren't as soft as some people think. If you have the $, I would definitely recommend getting a set, which you should be able to find for about $900 shipped if you shop around.