Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Isuue B18B

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Isuue B18B

ive got a b18b1 in my 92 eg

i CANNOT get this thing timed

at full advance( distributor rotated max advance) with the service connector jumped. the timing is only getting about thanks halfway between the red and white marks on the crank pulley

i have checked mechanical timing and it is spot on.. any ideas?
thanks HT

Car runs decent other then vibrating a bit, and it seems to have more power once I get past 3k
Idles around 800rpms once warmed up

If I retard the distributor at all it runs like crap under 3000rpm no power bogging etc
Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Timing Isuue B18B

You have a thread going with this issue in it already. In it you were already given advice.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that thread was actually on a different subject and turned into a timing discussion, i figured a new thread on the actual issue was more appropriate.. sorry
Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how did i know 92b18eg was going to make a new thread lol...

dude go to the oreillys or wherever you got the shitty dist from and swap it out...trust me..it is worth doing..and after you swap it out (0 cost to you since it has the warranty) then we can see whats up..but for now being it is free i would say go get a new dist.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96

dude go to the oreillys or wherever you got the shitty dist from and swap it out...trust me..it is worth doing..and after you swap it out (0 cost to you since it has the warranty) then we can see whats up..but for now being it is free i would say go get a new dist.
im sorry about the new thread thing, i just figured the subject kinda changed so it might warrant a new title.. i cant jus swap the distributor as it was purchased by the PO..

would a D and a B distributor have different arms or something?? if the idiot bought a 92 civic distributor for it would it even fit?

im sorry if i sound like a giant noob, i come from accords and H/F series motors, and this car is frusterating the hell out of me
Old 06-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would want the distributor for the engine that you have, so you should get a distributor for a ls integra

Yes the d and b series distributors are different
Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowDB7
You would want the distributor for the engine that you have, so you should get a distributor for a ls integra

Yes the d and b series distributors are different
i know i would WANT the distributor for an ls
just curious if the Previous Owner bought a civic distributor.. would it fit? and cause weird issues lol..
Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by slowDB7
the d and b series distributors are different
If you're gonna start a new thread at least read the responses before asking questions. Stop wondering and get the part you're supposed to have/need. Speculation is counter-productive.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, QC is lousy on remanufactured parts from most suppliers. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I CANT swap the distributor out for free because i did not purchase it, it came with the car. i dont have a problem buying a new one but would like to avoid throwing money at something that isnt the cause.. 200$ to replace a potentially good distributor sounds kinda dumb in my book..

is there ANYTHING other then the timing belt, and distributor that could cause this?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Free or not it needs replacing doesn't it? It is messed up right now isn't it?
$200? That's nothing. Welcome to the world of owning a car.

Have you done all tests to rule OUT the timing belt or distributor? If so, move on to something else.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Free or not it needs replacing doesn't it? It is messed up right now isn't it?
$200? That's nothing. Welcome to the world of owning a car.

Have you done all tests to rule OUT the timing belt or distributor? If so, move on to something else.
I understand 200$ is not expensive I'm just not a fan of wasting money. I'm not worried about spending the 200$ if it'll fix the problem

I have checks mechanical timing visually by removing the covers, the belt is spot on. I have no clue how to test to see if something is wrong with the distributor, what would cause it not to advance? Cam sensor or wrong housing?

I understand I apparently upset you by making two threads, but your not being helpful and kinda being a jerk..

Thank you to the others who are chiming in and trying to help
Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 AM
The Grumpiest

I am asking a question.

While you are questioning the advice people are giving you (in two threads). If you are not going to TAKE that advice then why bother to post in the first place? Twice?

You can infer emotion all you want. My questions and statements are valid.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What can be done to rule out the distributor?
Is there any other component that could affect my ignition timing not advancing besides the belt?

I have done nothing to rule out the distributor because I have gotten no information as to how, and I cannot move on to something else because I don't know what else to check lol
I'm tryin to take suggestions but I don't like to jut blindly throw parts at the problem
Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 AM
The Grumpiest

Lessee. What components are responsible for timing?
Get an adjustable cam gear then. But if your distributor is messed up I don't see why you would not get one that isn't. Your last distributor thread pretty much went into that.

You said you bought a new distributor and now you are having problems with it. Why are you NOT taking it back?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lessee. What components are responsible for timing?
Get an adjustable cam gear then. But if your distributor is messed up I don't see why you would not get one that isn't. Your last distributor thread pretty much went into that.

You said you bought a new distributor and now you are having problems with it. Why are you NOT taking it back?
I DID NOT BUY THE DISTRIBUTOR i have said this numerous times, it came with the car, along with the issue of timing being off..
Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then buy a new distributor. If it's not right, then return it.
If you've already done all the other stuff, and the distributor doesn't seem to be having an effect on the timing, then you need to replace it.

Something that would also help is if you can see if you can get a picture or part # on that distributor to make sure it's the correct one.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Joshka89
Then buy a new distributor. If it's not right, then return it.
If you've already done all the other stuff, and the distributor doesn't seem to be having an effect on the timing, then you need to replace it.

Something that would also help is if you can see if you can get a picture or part # on that distributor to make sure it's the correct one.
the middle of the ear sets me at 0* advance on the crank, full advance nets me probably around 8* advance

i will look at the part number as soon as im off work, also talked to the PO he said its an EGAY distributor, so im thinking either its for the wrong motor ( gsr or b16 maybe) or its just a POS like most ebay crap.

i will check the part number and probably replace the thing and hope it fixes the issue, ill report back when i have a new distributor
Old 06-12-2013, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he stated that he had it advanced as far as it would go and it still isn't even close on being right (timing wise)

so i can say as of now you need a new distributor because somehting is wayy off inside that dist...only thing that comes to mind.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he stated that he had it advanced as far as it would go and it still isn't even close on being right (timing wise)

so i can say as of now you need a new distributor because somehting is wayy off inside that dist...only thing that comes to mind.
yeah, i guess i will try replacing it..

maybe this will solve my other issue as well.. we shall see
ill report back once i get another distributor
Old 06-12-2013, 10:59 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by 92b18eg
I DID NOT BUY THE DISTRIBUTOR i have said this numerous times, it came with the car, along with the issue of timing being off..
Dammit! You're right. I've confused two threads.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dammit! You're right. I've confused two threads.
i said it in both of mine

im going to check my mechanical timing ONE more time, ( 3rd time total) this time by physcally using a wire inside my #1 cylinder, because the distributor being bad just doesnt make any sense, ive got good clean spark etc.. if the timing checks out again then i will replace the distributor..

i will do this tonight, this thing HAS to be off a tooth, thats the only thing that makes any darn sense
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why do you need to put anything inside the cylinder? if your cam and crank marks are on, they're on, unless you sheared the keyway.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
why do you need to put anything inside the cylinder? if your cam and crank marks are on, they're on, unless you sheared the keyway.
Just to be 100% sure the cranks at TDC I know the marks work, but just an additional verification

Won't hurt anything
Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright here are my pictures from the mechanical side

Quick Reply: Timing Isuue B18B