Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing issues. I'm still stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing issues. I'm still stumped.

I posted this first in the Integra forum because I have a GSR engine in my hatch. Please check it before you give ideas or suggestions. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=575666

Here is my hybrid setup:
93 DX hatch
94 GSR engine
p30 pistons
Skunk2 manifold

Before putting in the new engine, I rebuilt it with the P30 pistons and the Skunk2 manifold. Everything else is bone stock, even the civic exhaust.

HERE IS MY PROBLEM
Timing light is showing that my ignition timing is way off. Not even close. In fact its around 2-4 degrees BTDC. I've gone through all the proper steps to check timing, and TDC. Everything lines up perfectly fine. I'm also burning a lot of fuel. I got around 10mpg on the highway. I cut the legs off the distributor to correct the timing and that worked, but the fuel consumption has not changed. Driving around some more, I've notice it hesitates a lot. Since then, I've put in a new ignition, coil, fuel injectors and regulator and nothing has changed. Can anyone give me suggestions?
Old 07-31-2003, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Timing issues. I'm still stumped. (Smoothy)

Sounds like a map sensor to me. Check it and make sure its good. Check all the wiring for it. Also did you put in a biffer fuel pump??? If so that could be a problem with a stock regulator. I would also change the fule filter if you havent already.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing issues. I'm still stumped. (jDmDxTuRd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jDmDxTuRd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a map sensor to me. Check it and make sure its good. Check all the wiring for it. Also did you put in a biffer fuel pump??? If so that could be a problem with a stock regulator. I would also change the fule filter if you havent already. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll check that today somehow. I am using the map sensor that came with the engine that bolts to the TB. The stock civic map is still on the firewall. I just left it like that unplugged. I assumed that was ok. Is this how everyone else does it?

I did put a GSR fuel pump and a new filter in. I was using the stock GSR regulator and had this problem. Are you suggesting I get an aftermarket regulator?