Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticking noise at start up

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking noise at start up

whats up yall. hey i have an ls/vtec setup with forged srp pistons and eagle rods. well anyway i just had my lma's and crankseal fixed and i now noticed that my car is making a loud ticking when it starts up. when i drive it normally i dont notice it until i come to an idle. but when its warmed up to normal temps then there is no ticking at all even at idle. my first guess is that it needs a valve adjustment bad. the second idea is that to check the rocker arms and maybe my timing. when i got it back from the shop they told me since i have forged pistons i will have piston slap which makes since. but my question is the noise just the pistons or just something from the head like the valves.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: ticking noise at start up (lurkin' eg)

found out what that noise was. its funny cause i took it to a friend and he noticed that the bolts to hold in the cam gears were loose as hell. he tighted them up and no more tick!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lurkin’ eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">found out what that noise was. its funny cause i took it to a friend and he noticed that the bolts to hold in the cam gears were loose as hell. he tighted them up and no more tick! </TD></TR></TABLE>

did the gears move?

if so you might want to check your valves?
Old 06-29-2007, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lurkin’ eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">found out what that noise was. its funny cause i took it to a friend and he noticed that the bolts to hold in the cam gears were loose as hell. he tighted them up and no more tick! </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh man thats not good...if you have an interference motor that tick was probably your valves hitting your pistons...hopefully you have some low compression pistons in there
Old 07-02-2007, 03:49 PM

yeah my valves were fine. i got a valve adjustment too. oh and yeah i do have low compression pistions so i do have a little piston slap. but everything is great now. luckly my gears didnt move because i would have been in real trouble. thanks for the help anyway guys.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lurkin' eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lurkin’ eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i do have low compression pistions so i do have a little piston slap</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you explain how low compression pistons give you "piston slap"?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:53 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (HeikDiesel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HeikDiesel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Can you explain how low compression pistons give you "piston slap"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think he means because they are forged pistons, which happen to be low compression...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: (builthatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by builthatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think he means because they are forged pistons, which happen to be low compression...</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly! yeah i guess i mis-worded my thoughts. but yeah they are forged pistons which cause slight piston slap, and are also low compression.