Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid / Engine Swaps (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/)
-   -   Swapping B18B1 into '99 LX (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/swapping-b18b1-into-99-lx-3312753/)

biggoofy8 12-28-2017 10:55 AM

Swapping B18B1 into '99 LX

I have a 1999 LX Sedan and was putting together a parts list to swap a OBD1 B18B1 into it. I know this isn't legal but this car won't be my DD. There are a lot of B18B1's floating around and they're pretty cheap which is why I chose it. Here are the things I think I'm gonna need. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

- Wiring harness and ECU for OBD1 B18B1
- Rear "T" bracket from 99-00 Si
- Driver side timing block mount from 99-00 Si
- B Series Axles w/ ABS rings (Should I just pull these from a '91-99 Integra RS/LS/SE or just buy some OEM ones from Honda?)

Some sites said the swap was a direct fit and others said I need the above items. It seems swaps into a LX Sedan aren't that popular, but I want to keep the shell because it has some sentimental value.

Thanks!

JRCivic1 12-30-2017 08:44 PM

Re: Swapping B18B1 into '99 LX

You will need to modify the '99 Civic LX engine harness to fit your B18B1 engine. Some plugs on your engine may not match up to the harness, so you can use the B18B1 engine harness to rob plugs from and modify your harness accordingly.

In addition, you will need shift linkage from a '94-01 Integra or '99-00 Civic Si. You will also need an adapter harness to convert from OBD-2B -> OBD-1.

HondaPartsHero 12-31-2017 03:17 AM

biggoofy8 12-31-2017 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51522282)
You will need to modify the '99 Civic LX engine harness to fit your B18B1 engine. Some plugs on your engine may not match up to the harness, so you can use the B18B1 engine harness to rob plugs from and modify your harness accordingly.

In addition, you will need shift linkage from a '94-01 Integra or '99-00 Civic Si. You will also need an adapter harness to convert from OBD-2B -> OBD-1.

Why would I modify my current harness? Wouldn't it be easier to just use the B18 harness and ECU?

biggoofy8 12-31-2017 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero (Post 51522329)

Thanks! Great info

JRCivic1 12-31-2017 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by biggoofy8 (Post 51522335)
Why would I modify my current harness? Wouldn't it be easier to just use the B18 harness and ECU?

Have you even looked into your engine bay and then looked at the Integra engine harness ??? Did you actually find someone online who suggested using the OBD-1 engine harness ??? If so, ignore them. They have absolutely no knowledge of how to do this swap.

Trust me, if it was easier, I would have told you to use it. The fact is the OBD-1 B18B engine harness doesn't plug into anything on your EK chassis... so how would you use it ??? The truth is it COULD be done... but it would be a monumental amount of wiring work to convert it... so why do it ??? Now you asked for help... why argue with the people who are offering their knowledge and experience ???

I am willing to bet the link posted above doesn't suggest using an OBD-1 Integra engine harness in any '96-00 Civic application when doing a "B" series swap.

biggoofy8 01-01-2018 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51522699)
Have you even looked into your engine bay and then looked at the Integra engine harness ??? Did you actually find someone online who suggested using the OBD-1 engine harness ??? If so, ignore them. They have absolutely no knowledge of how to do this swap.

Trust me, if it was easier, I would have told you to use it. The fact is the OBD-1 B18B engine harness doesn't plug into anything on your EK chassis... so how would you use it ??? The truth is it COULD be done... but it would be a monumental amount of wiring work to convert it... so why do it ??? Now you asked for help... why argue with the people who are offering their knowledge and experience ???

I am willing to bet the link posted above doesn't suggest using an OBD-1 Integra engine harness in any '96-00 Civic application when doing a "B" series swap.

I have read the portion of the link about OBD-2 Engine with ODB-1 ECU and the instructions are clear. I'm grateful that you're helping me out with this. I don't know why, but in my head I imaged that the B18 wiring harness would plug right up into everything in my chassis. Thinking back I'm not sure why I thought that would work. I wasn't trying to argue with anyone, just curious.

It looks like he lays everything out for the swap regarding connectors and such:

DX/LX/CX - D16Y7
Mostly plug and play. The idle air control valve will need to be wired from 3 wire to 2 wire (Figure 6 for OBD2A, Figure 7 for OBD2B). The secondary O2 sensor wiring will have to be lengthened by using an O2 adapter if you are using an EX style catalytic converter.
The intake air temperature sensor will have to be relocated in the intake arm somewhere (see figure 8). The CKF, EVAP purge, EGR and secondary 02 will be eliminated. Use an OBD2 B18B distributor for plug and play or use an OBD2A to OBD1 distributor adapter. For 99-00 Civic and OBD2B to OBD1 distributor adapter with either an OBD1 or OBD2 B18A/B distributor. Use the injectors from the B18A/B and remove the injector "clips" for plug and play (Figure 10). Use an OBD2 B series alternator for plug and play or an OBD2-1 alternator adapter.
In addition:
- ECU for OBD1 B18B1
- Rear "T" bracket from 99-00 Si
- Driver side timing block mount from 99-00 Si
- B Series Axles w/ ABS rings
- Shift linkage from a '94-01 Integra or '99-00 Civic Si.
- Adapter harness to convert from OBD-2B -> OBD-1