Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped motor/trans shuts down momentarily while driving...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapped motor/trans shuts down momentarily while driving...help

Here's the setup:
96 EK hatch
JDM ITR 98 Spec motor
JDM ITR 96 Spec tranny
98 Civic EX Wiring harness
ACT clutch
Toda Flywheel
Stock ITR intake(from air/filter box to throttle body, no resonator)
Walbro 255lph HP fuel pump
B&M fuel pressure gauge(on fuel filter)
AEM fuel pressure regulator
Tommy Gunns ground kit
Civic Si gauge cluster
JDM 96 spec P73 ECU
DC sports short shifter

Here is the problem:
While it was accelerating and right before/during/after a gear shift (happend kind of fast, just know it was as the gear shifted), the the whole gauge cluster goes out (lights out, needles drop to zero) and the SRS light comes on. The engine doesn't respond to throttle and just starts to deccelerate. Two or three seconds later the engine and cluster come back to life. The SRS says on for an additional 5 seconds or so, and then goes out. It has happened twice before and I think it happens as it is going into gear. Any ideas on what the problem/solution could be? It does not have a CEL (Do JDM ECUs still give CELs?). All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Swapped motor/trans shuts down momentarily while driving...help (96BlackHB)

Sounds like you have a bad or loose connection or wire to your alternator.

get down and start checking the plugs and connecting wires for condition.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapped motor/trans shuts down momentarily while driving...help (96BlackHB)

Thanks, I'll do that. Does anyone else have a suggestion?
Old 11-01-2003, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the grounds and make sure the surface is nice and clean
Old 11-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapped motor/trans shuts down momentarily while driving...help (K20EG)

Thanks for the tip...I'll do that. I have a trouble shooting program called Autotech. It suggested the following possible causes:

Moisture in Dizzy cap
Vaccum Leak (PCV or EGR)
TPS
Cooling system(Gas boiling, engine to hot)
FPR
O2 Sensor

My money is on the FPR. Next, O2, then, Vaccum. Oh well...I have a lot of checking to do. If anyone has any other info/suggestions, post it. I'll post the solution when I find it.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96BlackHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My money is on the FPR. Next, O2, then, Vaccum. Oh well...I have a lot of checking to do. If anyone has any other info/suggestions, post it. I'll post the solution when I find it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say that it has to be an electrical problem hence the reason everything shuts off then comes back on suddenly. There is a bad connection/short or something possibly grounding out. It would have to be something that's either 12V+ switched power or a ground.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapped motor/trans shuts down momentarily while driving...help (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would say that it has to be an electrical problem hence the reason everything shuts off then comes back on suddenly. There is a bad connection/short or something possibly grounding out. It would have to be something that's either 12V+ switched power or a ground.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are some of the 12V+ Switched power sources? Ignition? By the way, it's kind of like the engine is stalling out for a couple of seconds while driving/accelerating. Those problems I listed were possible cause of stalling while driving/accelerating. Would a Jdm ECU throw codes for any of the problems I had listed a few posts up?TIA