Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves

Hey, I'm wondering how long it took most of you "do it yourselfers" to swap engines in your hybrid. I'm guessing the average is something like 4 days to swap in a new motor using hand tools.

I'm planning to swap in a D16Z6 (yeah, I know that's not the engine to end all engines but it was cheap and has more potential than the D15B7 DX automatic I've got now)

Anyway, I'm just trying to see how much time I should set aside for this swap. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2002, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (bruvaman)

Well I don't know about how long with conventional hand tools. It took me (Me=1 person/one body) 8-Hrs total to drop both engines out and swap one into EG. Reason it took so long is beacause I wanted to keep every A/C line intact, among other things......

BTW, I used a twin beam lift, my air tools and a forklift (courtesy of my friends shop). I'd imagen it would take you a bit longer with hand tools unles you have several buddies to help you "push n' tug" and lift.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (Honda4CX-R)

My last swap was an LS motor into a '93 dx.
I used only hand tools and didnt have a lift available. I just did it on jack stands.

It took me 5 hours, but I had all parts needed for the swap on hand and the engine and tranny were already assembled, the header was already on, and so was the wiring harness. So all I really had to do was pull one motor, drop another one in, and hook everything up. No wiring or anything.
I was working by myself.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (Slopoke)

my first swap (and only for now)
took about 3 days. (more like 2)
we took our time and ALOT of breaks.
Old 06-23-2002, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (KAMiN)

Took out my motor and ecu by myself in four hours. Took me and 2 buddies 8 hours drom in the motor, hook up axles, linkage, exhautst,and add the pins and wires for the ecu. All crafstman tools and a rented motor lift. None of us are anything special w/ the wrenches. My other, and more important, time is in my sig.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (trustsi)

I did my B18C swap In 2 days with hand tools. Just make sure you have everything you need to do the swap it make things much faster.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (95hybridcivic)

from start to finish, it took us about six hours total time to perform a B16 swap to my CRX... this is with air tools, and in my driveway...

Dan
Old 06-23-2002, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there some manual or book that will show/tell u how to swap an engine??
Old 06-23-2002, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (95hybridcivic)

It took me about 1 week at ~3 hours a day after work. I took my time and took notes. I would say %50 of the time was dealing with all the JDM vs USDM differences.

If I were to do it again, I could get one done in a weekend If I double checked to make sure all the parts were in my garage.

steve
Old 06-23-2002, 09:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

1st swap 98 GSR into 99 EX took approx 16+ hrs including repinning all 56 ECU wires to 98 specs (by myself w/hand tools)
2nd swap same car 99 EX back to same 98 GSR w/cams flywheel LSD and B16 head (by myself w/hand tools
3rd swap 99 EX into 97 DX approx 10-12 hrs (by myself w/hand tools)
4th swap 00 SI into 92 VX another 8-10 hrs (myself and my buddy w/air and hand)
5th same car 00 SI into 99 EX (see swap 1&2) 10hrs (myself and a little buddy help w/air and hand)
6th swap 95 accord EX into 90 accord LX way too ****** long approx 2-3 days, never do that again for alot of money (myself w/ hand and air)
7th swap built 98 GSR into 92 CX 1 3/4 to yank out stocker, 3 hrs to install (by myself w/air and hand)
Old 06-23-2002, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (hondaatwsu)

just did a swap today took about 5 1/2 hours, had to rent an engine hoist (placed opened at 9 and closed at 4, so i had to finish in that time) pulled out the old motor (automatic d15b2 91dx) swapped over some bolts for my si trans and mounted the flywheel/clutch/p plate onto the zc engine, bolt it up and dropped it in, did it in my little parking lot area, with 2 jackstands, a jack, and only handtools (the compressor blew the circuit breaker so we couldnt use it)
Old 06-24-2002, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (CIVICtypeS)

4 hours 15 minutes is the quickest I have done a GS-R swap in to a '92-'95 Civic. That was done by myself with air tools and an engine lift. I always make sure I have all of the parts on hand to avoid delays.

The last DOHC VTEC B-series into '92-'95 Civic swap I did was 99% completed in just under 4 hours. But, I spent about 3 hours driving around to get a couple little parts. Pretty frustrating.

If you want to do them quickly it is necessary to establish a pattern and know exactly which tools you will need. In addition to this, little tricks learned from experience help a lot also.

I know some of you will say that you can not do a good job if you do it quick. But, both of the aforementioned swaps had no problems once they were completed. So, it can be done quickly. You just need to know what you are doing.

CIVICtypeS, that is a good time using hand tools and working in a parking lot.

-kenji
Old 06-24-2002, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yesterday i swaped a D16Z6 engine on my car with my buddy in 6 hrs.... with airtools, cherry picker and lifter... but we took to many breaks, go eat and ****, modified a distribuitor...... and a tune hr trying to figure out why the **** my injectors wont work.....
last time i swaped a D series on a 90 HB by myself in about 8 hrs.. was a pain in da **** to pu tin by myself,..... peace
Old 06-24-2002, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (JDM EF9)

Damn you guys are quick. I was just glad that my car ran. My swap took weeks. I pulled the motor too soon, then had to finish quite a bit of things to complete. The motor went in rather quickly, then I had to wait some more.
Old 06-24-2002, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (SpooN Man)

Took me a few days cause i didnt have everything I needed around, including the engine. First timer too w/ out anyone around who new what they were doing. Its not hard. The thing I have learned is just have everything you need on hand. Also buy all the tools you will need at once! Even if you think its not neccessary buy it. You will use it down the road if you dont use it this time.
Old 06-24-2002, 02:21 PM
New User

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (CoolKat)

is there some manual or book that will show/tell u how to swap an engine??
The Helms manual. It has everything you need to know.

assuming you have all the correct parts and service items (like new drive shaft nuts) the entire swap shouldn't take more than a day with typical hand tools. You will need a shop hoist, those usually rent for $25 to $35 a day
Old 06-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (92sleepR)

my swap took me a missarable 2 weeks but i was going to school and it was the last week of school and working at my job for 8 hours a day me and my freind worked on it from 11 tell whenever we fell asleep first swap ever i had derictions off c-speedreacing.com they were kinda help full but for the most part it was just knolwedge and a good 4 to 5 days of those 2 weeks were spent waiting on parts or not working on the car because of graduation parities and graduation its self
Old 06-24-2002, 02:57 PM

Took me about 16 hours to drop a d16z6 on a '90 hb. Most of the time was spent driving to get/take back the cherry picker and converting the car to obd1. I did it all myself, with hand tools. I had to swap trannys, put new clutch etc, etc. Of course I took a big *** lunch break each time but was pretty happy that the car fired up right away given the fact that I did not have a helms or other manual with me at the time.

L.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (lelopez)

1 week to install a JDM SR20 into a G20. that was 4-6hrs daily

I bought the car with no motor in it and me with no prior Nissan experience.

The worst was the wiring 8hrs alone

and the emissons bs and trips to next city for closest Infiniti dealer

Not really labor intensive thought
Old 06-24-2002, 09:19 PM

Wow lots of "experience".. it took me 6 hours to swap the engines, then another week to find all my mistakes, then another week to figure out I was sent two badly bent axles... Sean
Old 06-25-2002, 08:05 AM
New User

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (hybridsol)

Did my B16 swap into my VX in two days. Had to keep stopping due to parts. Make sure you have all clutch pieces. I overlooked the throw our bearing, had to go look all over town to find one. Everything else was plug and play. Honda-tech had a lot to do with the success..
Old 06-25-2002, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It took me 3 months to put an h22 into my 90 integra but fully worth all the time let me tell you
Old 06-25-2002, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (H22g2Integra)

With 2 (skilled) people with hand tools, we can have a motor out and a DOHC in withing 2-3 hours.

What slows things down is the front ball joint, axles and the pin in the shift linkage. If those were easy, then the swap can easily be done within 2hours - turn key.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (G3-TEG)

sounds sweet, although i think the ball joint and the spindle nut r some of the easiest things to get out, now that god damn shift linkage pin can go to hell. hehe.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:41 AM
New User

Default Re: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves (hondaatwsu)

i always seem to have problems with the wiring harness. getting it off to get the motor out, other then that everything else is simple now...

Quick Reply: Swap Times for those who've swapped themselves