Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Opinion

Have a b16a in my 91 hatch currently. I've always wanted to do a H2B in the car. If I do the H2B it will be N/A. Pricing it out I see the qsd kit+h22 is around $2,000 which is also the same amount for the full "street" turbo kit from go-autoworks for my b16a. Prices seem to be in the same ball park area so I'm not easily swaying my opinion based on that. Mainly I'm looking for experiences. If you have/had a H2B or B16-T please share your experiences.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Opinion

Got my answer. Thanks anyways
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since the OP doesn't seem to want to share info but readily asks for it lemme offer up some insight if you're interested in going this route and need to make a decision.

AFTER the $2,000 is spent on the H2B swap, not to include the H-series engine, there should be relatively minimal work left to be up and running.

With the turbo kit for GA you still have to upgrade injectors, fuel pump and clutch since none of that comes in the kit. Then add on tuning which requires an EMS and the tune itself. If you plan to build the engine that factor all that in as well. Also factor in a lot of miscellaneous stuff you probably didn't account for. All in all plan on spending about $5,000 to do it right. If you do it on the cheap or are able to snag up really good deals on quality used components you could do it for the 2 grand.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From your response it seems you misinterpreted what I was asking through lack of details on my part. The $2,000 I had mentioned it not to get the car finished it's to have my basics. Like turbo kit for the b16a or the qsd kit and long block for the H2B. It does not include what I would be spending all together. With that being said, it's not a question of price but performance, comfort, and any other opinion of the setup's a owner may have. Which ever I chose I was going to build to 250whp. This was mainly directed at H2B owners because I see no real sacrifice's in a turbo application.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have fun getting 250whp from an N/A motor. Unless you have alot of money to throw at it.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fliptard
Have fun getting 250whp from an N/A motor. Unless you have alot of money to throw at it.
I never understood putting a dollar value on a goal. Seeing as there is no dead line. And yes it is possible. and doesn't need $6,000 invested into the engine.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 PM
The Grumpiest

It's called a budget. A budget lends itself to a plan. A plan shows some forethought. If you have none of these things then you're done before you start. At the very least you waste some time. and god forbid a lot of coin in the process.
Originally Posted by EFinAwesome
From your response it seems you misinterpreted what I was asking through lack of details on my part. The $2,000 I had mentioned it not to get the car finished it's to have my basics. Like turbo kit for the b16a or the qsd kit and long block for the H2B. It does not include what I would be spending all together. With that being said, it's not a question of price but performance, comfort, and any other opinion of the setup's a owner may have. Which ever I chose I was going to build to 250whp. This was mainly directed at H2B owners because I see no real sacrifice's in a turbo application.
I think I pegged it pretty much. And dollar for dollar spent you can get a boosted B to 250hp more efficiently than you can N/A build wise.

And what does " I see no real sacrifice's in a turbo application" even mean?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Again my horse power goal isnt the point. Maybe you will be able to understand if i say my hp goal is 220hp. So for my 220hp goal my buget is $4,000. Now Since they are both achievable with that goal/buget(think you can agree) Which would you prefer to have.
I'm simply asking for experiences with both from members who have driven them. It's as simple as that. No under line questions or HP related.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM
The Grumpiest

Then you reduced it to the point of "Who would win in a fight? Superman or the Hulk?"

You HAVE to have criteria when you ask these questions otherwise it's a useless chat thread.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

To that I'll just say ok....I've gotten opinions from owners of both setup's through different sites which has lead to a decision. Hope HT can be as helpful in the future.