Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SWAP....go to mechanic or aftermarket/performance shop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 10:15 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SWAP....go to mechanic or aftermarket/performance shop?

as the title goes.
i plan on doin a b18c1 into a 97 dx hatch this spring, and i need a little advice on who i should go to do have the swap done.

considering i buy the motor from import auto salvage and have the "all" the necessary parts for the swap, should i have the motor put in by a trusted mechanic [which i have] or should i go to a performance shop to have it done?

do you think a mechanic will do just as good as a job as a peformance shop?

my mechanic will do the job for less money and time, whereas the performance shop who i don't kno personally will take longer and cost more money.

what are the hidden costs, that you encountered, such as porblems that arise and extra parts you have to buy.

one last thing- do u think buying a crashed integra with everything be better than buying just the motor and its parts for a swap from a salvage area?

thanks
this type of job is too risky to just jump into.
Old 01-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SWAP....go to mechanic or aftermarket/performance shop? (def jux)

If you know and trust somebody that can do the work than I think you have your answer.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do it yourself....

there's no pride in winning with a swap you didn't do. You will feel 10,000 times better pulling your car out of your garage when YOU've finish as opposed to going to pick it up from someone else. Paying someone to do something like that takes everything out of it. You can do it! I have faith in you.

And if you insist, go with your normal person if you trust them. People at performance shops are just mechanics too. They just work at a place that installs stainless exhausts instead of cheap ones. I used to see people getting their oil changed for $35 at the local performance place. I mean seriously... is there any way a performance shop can do an oil change better. They were even using normal oil.
Old 01-05-2002, 10:54 PM

Default Re: SWAP....go to mechanic or aftermarket/performance shop? (def jux)

If you choose to not do the swap on your own, I do swaps for people on the Hybrid Board. I have done over 20 swaps and am familiar with your swap. I do the swaps in my garage and have all the needed equiptment. I held a hybrid meet at my house when I swapped in my TypeR swap in my newer EG. Leme know if you want any help or want me to do your swap.
Jason S.