Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension mods for bone-stock 93 DX hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2002, 10:21 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension mods for bone-stock 93 DX hatch

Alrighty, then. Time to start making my new civic not suck. I'm also looking at cheap options, as I haven't decided yet if I want to start sinking real money into the car (as I've already sunk a lot into my NSX).

I've already got wheels (TE37s, got a good price on a mint used set with tires).

First order of business is swaybars, as the car has none, and it's driving me crazy.

Which front swaybar is recommended? Will any integra swaybar I could get out of a junkyard work? Are all the necessary mounting locations already present on the car?

For the rear bar, there's 2 options that I see. The first option is the ITR swaybar, and it seems a good one. I have a stock GSR pull-off (from the integra I used to have) so I have endlinks, but at least one of the brackets is a little messed up, since that car had gotten hit on the rear, and the muffler got jammed into the swaybar mount, and was never fixed (I later got the subframe straightened before I put on a ground-control bar). Anyway, the ITR sway option requires new LCAs. The question there is, do I want ITR LCAs (and maybe ITR springs/shocks as an affordable suspension upgrade), or do I want GSR LCAs (where I might be able to find an affordable used ground-control setup from among the racing crowd). I'd lean toward GSR LCAs because they'd be easy to find in a junkyard, and I wouldn't have to get springs/shocks just yet.

However, it also occurs to me that I could get a rear swaybar that mounts to the shock bolt (like the GC bar), and then I shouldn't need new LCAs. However, I definitely don't want the ground-control bar because it's so damn heavy. I believe Progress also makes a bar like this, although I don't know how heavy it is. It also seems that although the kit would cost more for this kind of setup, it could end up costing about the same since for a Type-R bar I'd have to get some mounting brackets as well as LCAs.

Are there other good rear swaybar options I'm missing? Comptech's combination swaybar/lower tie bar looks nice, but I didn't see an application listed for the 5G, and it's a little spendy.

Also, what about strut tower braces and lower tie-bars? Will Integra strut tower braces fit? I'm thinking a junkyard GS-R or Type-R strut bar might have decent price/performance.

-Mike
Old 01-21-2002, 12:10 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Suspension mods for bone-stock 93 DX hatch (grippgoat)

Eibach swap bars and prokit for the spring.s No need to change LCA's.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:23 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Suspension mods for bone-stock 93 DX hatch (Mista Bone)

Where can I get the eibach sways? Tire Rack has the front, but they don't list an application for the rear. They're also a little spendy.

-Mike
Old 01-22-2002, 04:27 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Suspension mods for bone-stock 93 DX hatch (grippgoat)

been 5 years since I bought mine. I think one of the sponsers of HT has them for a fair price. I did a search on them about 3 month ago.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:45 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Suspension mods for bone-stock 93 DX hatch (Mista Bone)

I'm getting:

used GS-R rear LCAs with poly bushings $50
used Jamex non-adjustable shocks $10ea (can't go wrong when they're that cheap)
H&R sport springs $70

Then I figure I'll get a Type-R rear sway, junkyard GS-R front LCAs and a junkyard GS-R front bar, and be done with it for now. Won't be the best-handling car ever, but it'll be much better than it is now.

-Mike