Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street duty CRV-VTEC buildup... Opinions wanted..

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 06:16 PM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street duty CRV-VTEC buildup... Opinions wanted..

Hey guys,

My friend has a 6G Civic HB. He currently is running the D16 with a good bit of bolt-ons. Needless to say, its dog-slow. My stock 5-spd non-VTEC Teg can easily kick his ***, despite the weight difference.

So he bought a B18B1 longblock with 1 dead cylinder for cheap in hopes to build it for boost. He already has Endyn/Eagle B18B rods and has a good bit of money to go forward with some plans. He was originally planning on building up the B18B with 9.2:1 CR Endyn roller-wave pistons with a .020" overbore then getting a B18B1 tranny and ECU(needs these) and I think a wiring harness then he'd be good to go. I'd guess low 15's with the build-up on NA mode, then easily breaking into deep 13's with the turbo kit. Only thing is the turbo kit is alot of money, although pretty fast.

So I was brain storming some ideas with him a few days ago and thought about going with a built B20Z-VTEC motor. He already has the B18B1 rods that he can use in this setup, and he could get some high compression(11.0-11.3:1 CR) B20Z pistons in a small .25mm(~ .010") overbore just to clean up the walls and refresh the motor and slap on a B16A head. Then he could get a OBD2 B16A or B18C5 ECU and go with ~290-310cc injectors for fuel and I was thinking a GSR tranny for a good compromise between close gears(for his torque level) and low cruising RPMs.

-I'm kinda wondering what the power output would be on this setup, and what kind of potential he could get with a 8000RPM redline. He'd be using low-cost upgrades like I/H/E and maybe ITR cams. That's pretty much the limit at where he'd stop upgrading.

-I'd think the bottom end would be fine with this rev limit, but some company sells bottom end girdles for B series motors, anyone know the web address and how much they cost?

-I'm still kinda sketchy on the fuel, but would a B16A ECU and like 310cc injectors tuned with a B&M Command Flo or something like that be ok? We'd be dealing with about 2.05L of displacement with the block slightly bored for the pistons, so the fuel requirements will definitely be higher than stock B series injectors and a VTEC ECU can provide.

-The goal of this build-up is to have a fast daily driver that is good in all types of driving. Cruising, AutoX, occasional burst on the street, and the possible race. Reliability and simplicity are a must.