Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock b20/vtec seems slow, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock b20/vtec seems slow, what to do?

sup ya, Im new to the n/a performance. My other car is a 1.8t Gti and Its hard to go from a boosted car to a n/a. Feels like n/a has no ***** cuz of the lack of boost. Anyway man, what is the best bang for the buck without turbo charging my b20/v. My b16 head is built with all skunk2 parts other than that bone stock. Some advice on bolt on and specific brands. Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 10:13 PM

Default Re: stock b20/vtec seems slow, what to do? (swiftstyles)

What car do you have the motor in? And what do you mean by the head being built with skunk2 parts?

In my hatch, my b20vtec swap (stock block/head) is pretty quick. 8.5s in the 1/8th mile slicked down. A buddy of mine has a gti and he can never hang with me.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Re: stock b20/vtec seems slow, what to do? (unidextrous)

my b20/vtec is in a 92 da integra. Head has skunk2 stg2 camshafts, adjustable cam gears, titatanium valve spring, 5 angle valve job,port and polished,djustable fuel pressure reg. Other than that bone stock. The motor use to be in a crx that tore up my Gti. Probably its a weight issue.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is your stock bottom end doesnt give you enough compression for those cams to really shine. get some je's or something.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:58 PM

what do you mean its slow. have u tuned it ? is the head milled? check ur distributer cap and wires. i prefer stock. if ur fuel pump is stock thats the problem, and if you dont fix it u will blow ur motor.while ur at it change ur EFI filter. put a little more detail into the problem ur having.

Dam ayes
Old 11-26-2003, 10:40 PM

Default Re: stock b20/vtec seems slow, what to do? (ISawUL00k)

Your right Fuel pump probably is stock, whats a good pump to use for my set up? Im getting a cold air, and dc type-r headers soon. Hopefully that will bring in some noticable power gain and put to use the head work thats been done.Definalty gonna build up the block when I have some extra cash. The power im not feeling is the low end part. My block is a b20z which I thought should have great low end. Only when I hit vtec I can feel It pulling though. I know Im comparing apples to oranges between n/a and turbo motors. Its just that my buddy has the same set up on his crx but with basic bolt on, stock block, same head (I bought it off him) and he losses traction in 1st,2nd, and third. I definatly know this car is lacking in tuning and has good potential. Im basicaly a noob to the honda performance aspect.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock b20/vtec seems slow, what to do? (unidextrous)

get some toda cams
Old 11-26-2003, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock b20/vtec seems slow, what to do? (EF9_SiR)

and i would hardly call a 1.8t a quick car
Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 AM

Im have a holly pump. U basically are leaning ur motor out through out vtec. and it will cause ur motor to pop. crack sleve and eat a piston.ive seen it 4 times ..4 ls vtecs. u could be lossing oil pressure when vtec engages..u have stock bottom end ? ur rings might be bad also get a leak dowen test.. does it puff smoke.

Ill break it down..

cheap BM pressure gauge $40

cheap BM Fuel pressure regulator $50-80 depends

V-AFC if u cn i would get this first i go 25 hp on my Gsr from 3500 to 6500 Fixes the vtec fuel curve be vtecing at 4500 R's lol

U need a Vtec oil $100
Vtec water pump $100

Get it Tuned.!! let me know peice for peice on ur block ill help ya out i have some parts for sale too...

Old 12-01-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a build b20 block but stock gsr head and i feel alot of torque and i think u should get them je pistons
Old 12-01-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: (Manuel)

So if i'm not mistaken your using a 92 LS block with a b16 head. You have a PNP, springs and retainers and Stage 2 cams !
If you have a stock bottom end then you will be loosig allot of potential poewer due to the fact that those cam need high compression to make good power. Then the rods that you have dont really like to rev past 8k unless you have a set of ARP rod bolts. Then if you dont have a good exhaust system then you will need one soon cause they need room to breath other wise they get really chocked... And the most inportant thign is tunning, you would be suprised what tunning can do to a car just slapping all that stuff on will most likly have an ugly looking graph... a few other things you may need are injectors, fuel pump or regulator cause the motor is prolly getting starved of fuel !! let me kow what you complete set up is and i can prolly help you some more!!
Old 12-01-2003, 03:06 PM

Default Re: (Manuel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Manuel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">180Whp </TD></TR></TABLE>

this was with stock compression and with a stock cat, and exhaust, if we use a full exhaust and a better header ( DTR ) then we will get 200 no problem !!
Old 12-01-2003, 04:07 PM

Default Re: stock b20/vtec seems slow, what to do? (ISawUL00k)

sup, ya thanks for the replies. Im getting a walbro 225lph pump put in and alll piping done with dc itr headers, skunk2 intake mani, with bored tb soon. I definatly need tuning and definatly going to build my bottom end when I get some more cash. In the mean time I baby her,never pass 8k rpm. I do have an adjustable fuel pressure reg at the time but injectors and fuel rail stock. No smoke or anything, car honestly runs good just between 2500-3500 feels like a flat spot.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:22 PM

every time u hit VTEC ur leaning ur motor out an its going to blow up if you keep reving it. Disingage vtec and drive it slow until u get a pump and a reg. its all bad.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:54 AM
My old title sucked.

Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LsVtec92Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem is your stock bottom end doesnt give you enough compression for those cams to really shine. get some je's or something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

o how rite you are

you need compression buddy, i would go JE pistons and EAGLE rods.

and about the low end thing, the 1.8t has boost that comes on strong at like 3k, you wolnt feel the b20 come on till like 4.5k. and your (dc2) is it? probably a little heavy, at least compared to a crx.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (LudeEFv2.0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeEFv2.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
o how rite you are
you need compression buddy, i would go JE pistons and EAGLE rods.
and about the low end thing, the 1.8t has boost that comes on strong at like 3k, you wolnt feel the b20 come on till like 4.5k. and your (dc2) is it? probably a little heavy, at least compared to a crx.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BS. UR car is lacking Compression but it is not close to how important it is to have the proper boltons. plus if comp is to high u cant run pump gas and the car is less reliable. u should still be making atleast 220hp to th wheels with ur setup. i made 185 to the wheels on my b18..stock cams. ITR pistons,milled& build head P&P. bolt ons.. on pump gas.

MY LS/Vtec PULLS From 0-9k newbish no lag..

Old 12-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LsVtec92Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem is your stock bottom end doesnt give you enough compression for those cams to really shine. get some je's or something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats ur biggest problem^^^^^
Old 12-17-2003, 04:20 PM
My old title sucked.

Default Re: (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats ur biggest problem^^^^^</TD></TR></TABLE>

word up, bolt ons dont do ****. intake exhaust???? ok they're nice to have but as far as real power, i dont think a 185 hp b20vtec is impressive. especially if you have head work done. and if you are under 11 to 1 compression pump gas is fine. as long as you dont run anything less than 90.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:35 PM

so whats the best comp I should run, diffenatly gonna go with je piston, probable shot pin my rods. Want to keep it streetable with the most hp I can squeeze with pump gas(cali 91 octane)
Old 12-19-2003, 04:28 PM

Default Re: (swiftstyles)

11.5 to 12.5

Im not just saying intake and exhaust.. ..i talking fuel to many ppl over look the inportant ship.
Shop peen isnt going to do it if u wanna go high Comp get rods. i ran 11.5 on stock rods.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:59 PM

Default Re: (ISawUL00k)

can the stock sleeves handle 11.5 cr. Thats prbably the cr im gonna run.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ummm... isn't that B20 oil pump you have the same exact pump that comes with GSR's ? yeah... i believe it is.

Why is it slow ? Cuz of the low **** compression, since you said the head is stock (unmilled), those cams are not designed to work w/ that low of a CR. Not to mention, you're using a B16 head, which has a HUGE combustion chamber.... about the same volume as the B20's, so you're basically running the same compression as you do on a straight B20.

Also what ECU are you running ?

I don't think you'd have much of a problem with that fuel pump like everyone's saying. Just run a little higher fuel pressure (base)... like 50-54 psi. I ran my LSVT on my stock LS pump (with boost too) w/o an issue from the pump. My current 1.9L is using the stock civic pump w/o a hitch... and it's high compression.

Cheapest solution ? Buy a thinner HG, mill the head some and tune those cam gears to counter the retard..... and you'll be doing 9's (hahaha... j/k on the 9's part)
Old 12-20-2003, 02:54 PM

Default Re: (X2BOARD)

Im running a chipped p28 ecu. When I first bought the car my fuel pressure was set at 45 psi. I recently changed it to 52 psi and man did it make a different. I definatly want to upgrade to je 11.5 cr piston and some eagle rods when my money's right. Although swapping out my pistons and rods I can do myself. Im in a bine cuz I want to redo those weak sleeves i'v been hearing about. But thats involves removing the block and shipping it out and alot more money. After changing my fuel pressure to 52 Im some what contempt with the power as of now.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:47 AM
My old title sucked.

Default Re: (swiftstyles)

honestly, i dont think sleeves are an issue unless you plan on boosting the motor. you definatly need to mill that head tho. intake manifold will play a bit of a roll here as well. you should run a typeR manifold ro something of that size. typeR mani is my sugestion for the price side of things. 11.0 11.5 12.0&lt;-- thisa is where you wanna be. get some 11.0 pistons and mill the head. use a stock HG tho, this should put you @ 11.6 and it will feel strong!

my motor
-b20 block
-balanced crank
-eagle rods
-je pistons
-b16a head
-typeR cams
-ferrea valves
-ferrea retainers
-ferrea valve springs
-toda throttle injection (individual TB's)
-GReddy 4-1 header
-haltech ecu (not a piggy back system)

fun stuff^
Old 12-21-2003, 07:37 PM

good stuff bro. Diffently gonna run 11.5 cr soon!

Quick Reply: stock b20/vtec seems slow, what to do?