Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still confused about my swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still confused about my swap

I'm getting a B16a for my 94 dx coupe non-vtec and I'm still confused about how to do the harnesses, my friend said that I should use my stock engine harness on the jdm motor, but I dont know what I have to do because the b16a engine harness is on teh opposite side then my usdm car... Thanks in advance
Old 08-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 08-07-2006, 08:55 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: still confused about my swap (meagainsttheworld)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meagainsttheworld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm getting a B16a for my 94 dx coupe non-vtec and I'm still confused about how to do the harnesses, my friend said that I should use my stock engine harness on the jdm motor, but I dont know what I have to do because the b16a engine harness is on teh opposite side then my usdm car... Thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

It really depends on what year the motor is too. If the motor is OBD-1, you could get a USDM 94-95 Del Sol VTEC engine harness, and it would all plug right into your main wire harness at both shock towers. Then you would only have to add a couple wires from the shock tower, down to the ECU. Knock sensor wire (must be shielded properly though) & VTEC solenoid wire. If you wanted to avoid the Knock sensor wiring, you can send your stock ECU to Kenji to get it re-programed ($99 shipped). Your stock ECU can be made to run any VTEC B-series, but it doesn't look for a Knock sensor. You will have to have him disable the "VTEC pressure-switch" feature because JDM motors don't have one. Then just sell the JDM ECU that comes with the swap to make a little profit...

If the motor you get is OBD-2 it would be similar, but you would HAVE to send your stock ECU out to be re-programed because you don't want to convert your car to OBD-2. As for the engine harness, you would need a USDM OBD-2 96-97 Del Sol VTEC harness because a OBD-1 harness won't work with the newer injectors & distributor. The OBD-2 harness will still plug right into your car at the shock towers with 1 extra plug that will go to nothing (extra unused OBD-2 sensors). Then the custom wiring from the shock tower plugs will be exactly the same as before (1 VTEC wire to the ECU)...

The second option is better IMO because your getting a newer motor, but it's still just as easy as the 1st option. This is exactly how I did my 96-97 B18C Type R swap in my 94 civic, and it works great. I just used a USDM 96-00 Integra GSR engine harness. Kenji's ECU programing is awesome too...
Old 08-07-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: still confused about my swap (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It really depends on what year the motor is too. If the motor is OBD-1, you could get a USDM 94-95 Del Sol VTEC engine harness, and it would all plug right into your main wire harness at both shock towers. Then you would only have to add a couple wires from the shock tower, down to the ECU. </TD></TR></TABLE>

could i be able to use my stock dx engine harness?? or possibly switch the chassis harness to the other side?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:08 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

You can use your stock DX engine harness, but you will have to splice in parts from the JDM harness that are missing or different. How much splicing you need to do depends on what year motor & what model ECU you use. If you reprogram your stock computer and use an OBD-1 motor, you will only have to add a wire or two. If you use the ECU the motor comes with, it gets more complicated especially if the ECU & motor are OBD-2...

And no you cannot "switch" the chassis harness unless you do a right-hand-drive conversion. Your guage cluster, ECU, Fuse box, and ALL connectors must then be on the opposite side for it to work...
Old 08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meagainsttheworld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

could i be able to use my stock dx engine harness?? or possibly switch the chassis harness to the other side?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes you can use your factory harness. Some plugs/wires you might have to modify/extend but it will for the majority connect up fine.

My friend has a 94 si coupe and we put in a b16a1 first gen engine into his car and there wasn't much trouble with the wiring harness.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: still confused about my swap (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can use your stock DX engine harness, but you will have to splice in parts from the JDM harness that are missing or different. How much splicing you need to do depends on what year motor & what model ECU you use. If you reprogram your stock computer and use an OBD-1 motor, you will only have to add a wire or two. If you use the ECU the motor comes with, it gets more complicated especially if the ECU & motor are OBD-2...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm getting the OBD-1 motor and P30 ecu.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:42 PM

Use the DX harness, or go buy a virgin-Si eg harness. Extend wires where need be. Maybe use the p28 computer and get it remapped for the jdm b16?

-Jason