Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001?

It's been over 6 months since I bought this motor off Tom, and it seems like every time I solve the previous problem, I run into a brand new one.

I'll skip the heavy details and stick to the changes and what matters:
1999 GSR head, 1995 GSR block, 1999 GSR transmission
OBD1 GSR ECU
OBD1 Civic EX wire harness
OBD1 Fuel injectors
New spark plugs
New OBD1 GSR Distributor (Distributor kings)

What I have checked:
Compression (No knocking, no leaking oil, motor has good compression all across)
Fuel (Pump is working, fuel is in the rail)
Spark (Checked all 4 wires, getting spark)
Top dead center, timing, all checked

What I'm missing, that a lot of people say won't make a difference getting the car started, only getting the car to run right:
Intake Air temperature sensor
Knock sensor
O2 sensor

The EX harness doesn't fit right at all, so I'd have to solder and hack the **** out of it to get it to fit the GSR engine. The EX harness also doesn't have a knock sensor plug so I'd have to find one and wire it manually.

The options I have left. I'm flat ******* broke so any suggestions over even 50$ aren't warranted or up for taking.
1) Pursue Typerman2001 for my money ($1900 for the motor, I wouldn't try to charge him the $350-400 I had to spend on extra parts to complete the motor. This includes the stabilizer bar for the shift linkage, the block passage coolant pipe or the distributor)
2) Since the motor has compression, I could part out the head, block, ECU and transmission and use the money to buy a single-cam vtec motor or a B16 and HOPE that works.
3) Try to deduce the only remaining options that could be wrong with the motor.

A few things-
One of the mechanics I had look at the motor said that some Hondas have a two plug distributor, and others have a three plug distributor. He said that since my harness has a 3 plug connection and the ECU has a 3 plug connection, that my distributor should have 3 plug connections.

Another suggestion was that the wire harness for the 93 EX engine doesn't match the OBD1 GSR engine set-up and that I would need an OBD1 GSR harness to get it running.

My other friend said I need an OBD2 harness and ECU or an OBD2 harness wired to an OBD1 ECU, because he said an OBD2 head needs OBD2 wiring.

I don't really know what to do at this point and I've invested ALL of my $8000 I wanted to go toward a running hybrid to use when I move to Frisco to go to school.

Ladies and gentlemen, this Civic is the reason why I've missed over 6 months of school and education. If I don't figure something out, I'm gonna end up being a ******* plumber for the rest of my life.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001? (Essenar83)

i think its more your mistakes than the guy who sold you the engine it sounds more like a wiring problem than anything but without seeing it not much i can do but there no need to think you got scamed for a motor unless its got a busted rod or valves or something to that extent not for your lack of knowledge in wiring or swaps just my opinion good luck
Old 01-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001? (boostedblkef)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Essenar83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Ladies and gentlemen, this Civic is the reason why I've missed over 6 months of school and education. If I don't figure something out, I'm gonna end up being a ******* plumber for the rest of my life.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha dont blame the car man.. but seriously its gotta be a wiring problem. so i would start the harness over or contact rywire and ask them for their expertise. Another thing is you said the motor has good compression, no leaks, or any other mechanical issues so you trying to sue typerman2001 for the motor would be a hard case to win and probably just end up wasting more money than obviously have to spend. I would just stick it out and try to work out the wiring problem
Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 PM

what year is your car?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001? (143MYVTECEF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 143MYVTECEF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha dont blame the car man.. but seriously its gotta be a wiring problem. so i would start the harness over or contact rywire and ask them for their expertise. Another thing is you said the motor has good compression, no leaks, or any other mechanical issues so you trying to sue typerman2001 for the motor would be a hard case to win and probably just end up wasting more money than obviously have to spend. I would just stick it out and try to work out the wiring problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

A few developments today.

First, while everyone seemed to focus my attention on the cam gear markings to see if the timing is right, and the TDC white mark on the crank pulley, no one felt the need to mention that the crankshaft gear itself has its own timing mark.

My question is, how could this thing be off before I got the motor and yet be told the motor was running before I bought it?

Tom told me he started it 100% before I bought it, that it was only missing the block passage coolant pipe, a distributor and an ECU.

I was also TOLD I could use my EX harness.

The car is a 1993 Civic EX.

My issue isn't so much "user error" as it is "error on the part of the people writing guides/how-to's" proclaiming pretentious and self righteous claims like, "LOL DOOD A SWAP IZ EAZY AND IF U KANT DU IT UR AN IDIOT".

I don't have the money to pay for a GSR harness.

HEY I would've, if I was told it was what I needed in the ****** beginning of this swap, my Typerman2001 and half the people that told me what I should do on this forum.

Instead, I spent countless hundreds of dollars on hoses, tools, tools and LOTS of tools.

I would have to go to Autozone and drop 7 dollars just to buy a socket I only needed to remove ONE bolt. Of course, no one put that you needed that tool in the how-to swap a GSR motor either. They over-simplify the things you need. It goes from 10, 12, 14 and 17 sockets, an extender and a ratchet to- breaker bar, 1/2" drive long bar, deep sockets of every size, power tools, a drill, soldering kits and god knows what else I bought.

I just want to get this car running and frankly, I don't want to hear any advice from people that got a GSR motor off JDM or Steve or whatever, that came complete with a roll of toilet paper to wipe your *** with, that had a swap expert with them the entire way walking them through it.

What I need is someone that has experience with the full length of GSR motors and the wiring that knows for sure what works and what doesn't, not some ******* theories.

What I know for sure, is despite what the people here told me, a ******* EX harness does NOT work on this motor. Maybe it's the 99 head and 99 tranny, maybe the harness on a 93 EX is different from a 94-95 harness, whatever the case is, whoever successfully got an EX harness to work with a GSR motor, obviously did more than just swap fuel injector plugs. And obviously, not having an IAT sensor, knock sensor and o2 sensor DOES make a difference on getting the car started.

Those are the ONLY hurdles I skipped.

Everything else was done by the book and even checked by TWO mechanics that have each done straight through GSR swaps OBD1 and OBD2.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001? (Essenar83)

ur not gonna get any help givin everyone an attitude if you dont know what your doing save your change and get it done your an idiot if you think your gonna do a motor swap without tools or pretty much anything to a car without tools what do you think your gonna use a flathead and some duck tape i dont know y your all pissed off at a guy that sold you a good motor with good compression ive never seen the motor nor do i know the guy that sold it to you but your blaming him when you should blame urself
Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001? (ilsimsli)

You're missing the point, and maybe if you spent more time under a hood instead of on the internet defending people you don't know, read the thread again.

Everything on the motor is done right and it's still not firing. It's sparking, it's getting fuel, air, it has good compression, but it's not turning over.

It has oil, 91 octane gas and it's not turning over.

There's something that people neglected to say that needs to be done.

I spent countless hundreds of dollars fixing stuff I don't think I needed to fix, when it would've been as simple as people saying, "You NEED a GSR harness"
Old 02-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look.
buy a two things.
A helms and a GSR harness and shut the expletive up.

That will take care of EVERYONES problems.

YOu can have the cam gears at TDC and the crank not be at TDC, keep turning it,... Get the crank at TDC and check cam gears.. SHould all line up. Thats not your problem though.. Its the harness....
Old 02-01-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001? (Diyracing2)

i need to spend more time under the hood haha your the one with a broke car sayin help me help me i dont know what im doing i didnt know i needed tools to do a swap
Old 02-01-2007, 02:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sounds u got in over your head & now ur on here whining again

leave type r man alone...

is everything tdc?

this is a simple yes or no question
either it is or its not

& u can tell just by looking at it

why dont u take some pics & post em

Old 02-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tha_badguy)

the guides on this site are a usefull tool to GUIDE you in the right direction you need them tools and some common sense which you seem to lack your asking for help but bitching at everyone then shut the expletive up and do your homework like everyone else has done to know what there doing
Old 02-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: (boostedblkef)

when you say its not turning over, is it cranking?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:28 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (743power)

this is why noobs shouldnt start out BIG... like a motor swap... do a oil change and once you accomplished that go on to something that you're smarter at... dont blame the seller blame you and your lack of knowledge....
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (poorman's type-r)

the engine has good compression, it's good. simple as that. all thats' left is get it good spark/fuel at the correct times and it'll run.

get the correct harness dumbass....or get yourself a helms and go through the wiring the correct way....

oh, and just because it's getting spark doesnt mean it'll fire. a bad ignitor INSIDE the distributor can still give you a spark at the plug but it'll be WAYYY to weak to fire up the charge.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you might want to check the alternator two of my older civic wouldnt turn on they would crank and crank but the alternator was stuck and would put to much stress on motor to create a combustion
Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (92b16si)

what wires on the harness are not currently plugged into something?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Essenar83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's been over 6 months since I bought this motor off Tom...

blah blah blah....

The EX harness doesn't fit right at all, so I'd have to solder and hack the **** out of it to get it to fit the GSR engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you dont have the money, time, knowledge, or patience to play cars.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:15 PM
no soy maricon!

Default Re: (poorman's type-r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poorman’s type-r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont blame the seller blame you and your lack of knowledge.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Seems like your over your head bro.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Default Re: (!LL W!LL)

I'll take the nightmare off your hands. When can I pick it up?
Old 02-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (phayzeone)

man you are waaayy lost!

check pm
Old 02-02-2007, 05:58 AM

Default Re: (.john.)

tom's a good guy.. just get a professional to finish it for you
Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 AM
dut
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (4playEkay)

My last car was "bad luck" I got rid of that bitch quick.

Just noticed your title asking to sue TYPERMAN2001 - Get some professional help and go from there.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.
Default Re: (dut)

where is Tom at?

sounds like you have some issues with the swap that are beyond the simple sell of the "swap". You keep saying everything is done right however i beg to differ, there are a TON of people that will help you in SD (some that are actually trust worthy, many that are not). post some pics of the wiring from the distrubitor and other harness plugs...check ALL your ground wires, main relay...etc...

and be a bit more humble for crying out loud!!! it will get you much further
Old 02-03-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: (LoSt is BlaCk)

Tom doesn't need to jump into this thread to defend himself. It seems that you need professional help to finish your swap. Save yourself the time and money and just pay someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B17AGSR)

Where in socal Are you located

Quick Reply: STILL can't get this GSR swap running, do I try to sue Typerman2001?