Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started up my B18C in my 98EX today...I have problems. *Pics and vid

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started up my B18C in my 98EX today...I have problems. *Pics and vid

I started it up today. I put new trans fluid in and refilled the coolant. The engine oil was full and looked really clean, so I decided just to use that to start it up. I have everything to change the oil, though, and will be doing that soon. I did what Slurp said to do, cranking it until the oil light went off without the dist. plugged it. Then I plugged it back in and it started right up. But..I'm a little disappointed, its not running right at all.

My two main concerns are a leak where the intake manifold meets the head, and white smoke coming out of the intake.

The smoke happen twice. I reved it up to under 2k, and when it came back down, a nasty hacking cough sound came from the intake and a puff of white smoke came out of the intake filter, and the car stalled out. What the hell causes this?

The picture below shows where the intake manifold is leaking. There was what looked like water bubbleing where the intake mani meets the head. Right in that little crevis circled in the pic. At that time the temp gauge showed 3/4's way to the 'H'. My d16 never ran past 1/2 way. The B18 never got past 1/2 other than when I saw the bubbleing. After that I had checked the coolant and it was down a little, so I topped it off as the Helm's manual said to do after starting and warming it up. It didnt take much at all. I later filled it one other time a little bit more top it off. If you look closely you can see a brown tinge that the bubbleing fluid left. The is on the cylinder closest to the passenger side.

It idles really rough, going up and down between 500 and 800 RPMs. I've driven it up the drive way and right after you get to 1.5k it just quits, it will come back down and die sometimes after that. Sometimes it will stay running after coming down from the 1.5k cutoff. While reving in neutral, I can get to a little above 2k before it start acting up.

When reving it, it will either die when it comes back down or it gets reallly low. Like 100.

Another thing is, my radiator fan is not working at all. It didn't come on once, even when really warm. Would there be any negative effects of splicing the thermostat switch wires to have it running whenever the key was turned? Maybe wear out the fan faster, but what about driving with it on?

Also my fuel filter had a real small leak where the fuel line bolted on. Is the probably just the washers that I was supposed to replace after removing the bolt? Oh yea, my fuel line is half civic, half integra fuel line. My stock one on the civic was too short. I had the cut off half for the integra, so I used a 3/8" brass hose mender and hose clamps to mate the teg line to my civic fuel line. I ordered a new fuel line last weekend, its taking a while to get here.

I was running just a header. I have to weld the flanges and short pieces of pipe to my new cat. As well as an o2 sensor bung. That is going to be done tomorrow morning. This really shouldn't affect how it runs should it? It doesnt have the o2 sensor hooked up either, since I'm putting it in my cat thats not on yet. Shouldn't I be showing a CEL with no secondary o2 sensor hooked up? I havent had any CELs.

And Lastly, I'm running 87 octane gas. Doesn't the B18C1 take 93? I guess I should have thought about that before now. Will 87 have any negative effects? I have a half tank.

Here is a vid of it idleing. You can kind of hear what it sounds like: http://www.bdub84.com/Pics/B18/Idlevid.avi

Sorry for the long post. I just try to be thorough so you guys can understand me fully.

Here is a pic of my bay for fun. I have an AEM hybrid CAI in the mail. So my intake rig up will be off there shortly.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Started up my B18C in my 98EX today...I have problems. *Pics and vid (c1v1c98)

Your intake manifold gasket is not sealing correctly. go buy a new one from honda and install it. the old one will be a pain in the butt to get out though, get a razor and some liquid gasket remover.

I can source all your problems to the intake manifold gasket leakage.

White smoke- coolant from the head getting into the intake manifold from the leaking intake manifold gasket.
Surging idle- leaking intake manifold gasket
Overheating- coolant leaking out, causing air bubbles in the cooling system which in turn causes the system to not cool correctly

The fan not turning on could also be caused by the air bubbles in the system, but most likely you may have a bad thermostat fan switch, it's an easily replaceable part and it's not very expensive, right under the distributor behind the vtec solenoid.

the o2 sensor thing i dont know.. it should throw a code, but even if it doesn't it might just not be showing up on your cluster sometimes the ecu just stores the code. this may add to your car running shitty.

i ran 87 octane in my gsr hatch before because i just put the swap in and still had gas leftover. it shouldnt harm anything, thats what the knock sensor is for, jus get 91 or 93 from now on.

good luck.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Started up my B18C in my 98EX today...I have problems. *Pics and vid (inline4)

Thanks for the reply.

It seems like the leak isnt there anymore. That or itsnt visible/audible. Its like the motor was sitting for a while, the gasket got heated up, leaked, then resealed itself. But like i said, maybe I'm just not hearing/seeing it anymore. Either way im sure it would be wise to replace the gasket.

I'm prolly gonna pick that up tomorrow. That and im gonna throw my new cat on with the o2 sensor in it. Though I think I may have crushed my o2 sensor. I ordered another one anyway, but hopefully the one i think i messed up still functions for the time being.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Started up my B18C in my 98EX today...I have problems. *Pics and vid (c1v1c98)

yes, the gaskets don't last forever. besides they are only 15 dollars from acura. the hardest part is taking the intake manifold off. it's painful sometimes.. lol.
you will need a 12mm socket, 12mm deep socket, 12mm wrench, and a few extensions. these will help a lot.
goodluck.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Started up my B18C in my 98EX today...I have problems. *Pics and vid (inline4)

might want to think about getting the hondata intake manifold.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I figured out my problem. All that bullshit for nothing. I had my TPS and MAP sensor plugs switched. Stupid! Anyway, everything seems to be working fine now.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a common mistake that alot of people do. I just replied to another therad and mentioned the same thing. Glad you got her running. Go out and have fun!